Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler M*A*S*H  (Read 9625 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Butler M*A*S*H
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2021, 10:19:22 PM »
I know we're not allowed to enjoy close wins even a teeny tiny bit, but ...

Butler has beaten Creighton and Providence. Entered the game with the same conference record we did. Got a boost from a recent roster addition.

Our two starting bigs were in foul trouble all game and our backup big didn't play. Theo and DJ toughed it out through injuries. We turned it over 21 times. We bricked a bunch of FTs. We got 5 points, total, from the bench.

And yet we still won the game.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled Marquette Is The Worst Team In Basketball History Fest.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2021, 10:48:09 PM »

OK, back to our regularly scheduled Marquette Is The Worst Team In Basketball History Fest.

We are painful to watch and thoroughly unenjoyable.  Mistakes that are coached out of junior high teams.  Because we’re holding on to a guy whose accomplished nothing in his adult life.  Once removed from his cozy little Duke bubble, his incompetence is laid bare.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2021, 10:50:07 PM »
We are painful to watch and thoroughly unenjoyable.  Mistakes that are coached out of junior high teams.  Because we’re holding on to a guy whose accomplished nothing in his adult life.  Once removed from his cozy little Duke bubble, his incompetence is laid bare.

He was 18 when he was a McDonald's all American. That's a pretty big accomplishment and was removed from Duke for it. I hear he's also certified in PowerPoint
Maigh Eo for Sam

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2021, 10:52:27 PM »
He was 18 when he was a McDonald's all American. That's a pretty big accomplishment and was removed from Duke for it. I hear he's also certified in PowerPoint

That was his last accomplishment, McDonald’s AA. He rode a legend’s coattails into a great job.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2021, 10:56:37 PM »

Why do you watch? Are you a masochist? I'm serious. If it literally gives you pain, and you keep watching, that's on you.

And BTW, I agree Wojo should be fired. I'd have fired him immediately after Sunday's game and handed the team to Killings for the rest of the season.

But folks act as if a gun is pointed at their heads, forcing them to watch.

When you don't play well, and you're missing a key player, and you have foul trouble, and you have injuries, and you still win, I happen to think the players deserve a thumbs-up.

You are free to be miserable, though.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2021, 11:08:42 PM »
Why do you watch? Are you a masochist? I'm serious. If it literally gives you pain, and you keep watching, that's on you.

And BTW, I agree Wojo should be fired. I'd have fired him immediately after Sunday's game and handed the team to Killings for the rest of the season.

But folks act as if a gun is pointed at their heads, forcing them to watch.

When you don't play well, and you're missing a key player, and you have foul trouble, and you have injuries, and you still win, I happen to think the players deserve a thumbs-up.

You are free to be miserable, though.

I haven’t been watching actually  because I’m tired of the same sh!t basketball over and over and over.  I didn’t watch a second today. I was working, but didn’t even consider recording it, which in the past would have been done without a question. I was in and out of Sunday’s game, watched zero of either Providence game, nor DePaul.

I used to worked my schedule around so I would never miss games.  So this is a new and significant change for me. I  greatly miss being fully invested in the program, but this is what Wojo’s incompetence has done. I have a feeling I’ve got plenty of company.  Sick and tired and disgusted with the product, and a dope essentially stealing money for a job he does very poorly.  And then there’s no clear end in sight, so throw in a good dose of hopelessness about better days ahead in this program with everything else.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2021, 11:17:07 PM »
That was his last accomplishment, McDonald’s AA. He rode a legend’s coattails into a great job.

I mean I'd say riding that to being a millionaire with no other accomplishments (you said no Duke connected stuff and I presume that includes the USA gold medals) is in itself quite the accomplishment. I don't know about your financial status but if you're able to thumb your nose at Wojo's salary for having no accomplishments then a tip of the cap to you
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2021, 11:33:02 PM »
I haven’t been watching actually  because I’m tired of the same sh!t basketball over and over and over.  I didn’t watch a second today. I was working, but didn’t even consider recording it, which in the past would have been done without a question. I was in and out of Sunday’s game, watched zero of either Providence game, nor DePaul.

I used to worked my schedule around so I would never miss games.  So this is a new and significant change for me. I  greatly miss being fully invested in the program, but this is what Wojo’s incompetence has done. I have a feeling I’ve got plenty of company.  Sick and tired and disgusted with the product, and a dope essentially stealing money for a job he does very poorly.  And then there’s no clear end in sight, so throw in a good dose of hopelessness about better days ahead in this program with everything else.

OK. That sounds like the right course of action for you. Have a nice night.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2021, 11:34:09 PM »
I mean I'd say riding that to being a millionaire with no other accomplishments (you said no Duke connected stuff and I presume that includes the USA gold medals) is in itself quite the accomplishment. I don't know about your financial status but if you're able to thumb your nose at Wojo's salary for having no accomplishments then a tip of the cap to you

He’s to be congratulated for being a fraud and duping Cords and MU into thinking he could coach at this level after accomplishing nothing on his own merits other than being a darn good high school player and an average at best college player? He got his chance at coaching only because he played at Duke.  That’s all K has hired the past 20 or so years, ex players.

Contrast his career to someone like Buzz.  Small wonder Buzz has been so successful- hungry, relentless in pursuit of his goals, tough, and smart. Wojo has all but four of those qualities.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2021, 11:46:39 PM »

I didn't watch the game.  But Wojo sucks regardless -HutchwasClutch

Thanks for the objective thoughts  ::)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2021, 11:48:21 PM »
OK. That sounds like the right course of action for you. Have a nice night.

Thanks. You as well.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2021, 11:59:47 PM »
I didn't watch the game.  But Wojo sucks regardless -HutchwasClutch

Thanks for the objective thoughts  ::)

Nothing at all is changing and everyone here knows it. Same old bad basketball I’ve seen over almost 7 seasons.  Same criticisms after this game too. 

So what’s the point of still watching like something might change for the better finally?  After nearly 7 seasons, we all know it won’t. Some are just too stubborn to admit that.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:02:08 AM by HutchwasClutch »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2021, 12:12:30 AM »
So what’s the point of still watching like something might change for the better finally? 

We call those "fans" 'round these parts.  But a 4pm Tue CDT start is rough.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2021, 01:01:22 AM »
The sad truth is we have a team with talent but are a really bad basketball team right now.

I think it’s time to stop with the talent. We have a few good players. This team is not oozing talent.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2021, 05:27:04 AM »
On another occasion, he made a nice layup, and went OOB. He walked back onto the court and was so busy celebrating with his arms up he didn't even notice the pass from the inbounder, which was available to him for the taking.
I saw that also. The guy has a low bb IQ.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2021, 05:32:48 AM »
So...he has 2 grand accomplishments. McDonald's and his MU PowerPoint
Would say his HC career so far has been a major embarrassment. He and some Hoopsters feel bad for Wojo-Dukiet because we haven't had enough cupcakes to pad the record.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2021, 06:30:34 AM »
Wojo deserved the position. Anyone who says he’s an entitled pretty boy is clueless.

He hasn’t produced and MU will need to move on soon. But that doesn’t mean he didn’t deserve the position.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Viper

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2021, 06:35:13 AM »
Why start the second half at all? Just use the Trump strategy. Get a lead? Stop the count! We won. By a lot!
couldn’t resist, could you

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2021, 07:27:22 AM »
We are painful to watch and thoroughly unenjoyable.

You realize you aren't required to watch right?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2021, 07:57:13 AM »
Wojo deserved the position. Anyone who says he’s an entitled pretty boy is clueless.

He hasn’t produced and MU will need to move on soon. But that doesn’t mean he didn’t deserve the position.

Good to see one our most fervent projos finally throwing in the towel. Wojo turning MU into Duke North was never realistic.   

Whether or not he “deserved” the job is an interesting topic. Since he didn’t get the job done, he ultimately goes down as a bad hire. That said, I think at the time it was a reasonable one.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2021, 09:08:10 AM »
Good to see one our most fervent projos finally throwing in the towel. Wojo turning MU into Duke North was never realistic.   

Whether or not he “deserved” the job is an interesting topic. Since he didn’t get the job done, he ultimately goes down as a bad hire. That said, I think at the time it was a reasonable one.

The result hasn’t been great, but I don’t know that it faults the process. Obviously he wasn’t the first choice, and I was a bit bummed when I heard he was the leader. That’s probably more the Duke connection than anything. I had just warmed up to Cuonzo, which looked like it would have been a bad hire too.

Wojo was the top assistant at probably the top program of the last 15 years at that point. He had praise from all over the basketball world from his time with Team USA. I can see how he’d interview well because what he’s done seems to be exactly what the administrations wants. He’s run a clean program without off the court issues and has had some success on the court (albeit very limited in most opinions).

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2021, 09:12:27 AM »
He’s to be congratulated for being a fraud and duping Cords and MU into thinking he could coach at this level after accomplishing nothing on his own merits other than being a darn good high school player and an average at best college player? He got his chance at coaching only because he played at Duke.  That’s all K has hired the past 20 or so years, ex players.

Contrast his career to someone like Buzz.  Small wonder Buzz has been so successful- hungry, relentless in pursuit of his goals, tough, and smart. Wojo has all but four of those qualities.

I'm just saying if I got myself a CEO role at a massive company right now I'd be woefully unqualified but have to hand it to me for blowing people away in the interview and accomplishing getting the job I should never have gotten.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2021, 09:15:18 AM »
I'm just saying if I got myself a CEO role at a massive company right now I'd be woefully unqualified but have to hand it to me for blowing people away in the interview and accomplishing getting the job I should never have gotten.

And if you had been the right hand man of the CEO of Amazon and Kroger offered you their CEO position, you'd have deserved the opportunity.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2021, 11:16:27 AM »
Assuming no more games get scheduled (we still have Georgetown at home and an open non-con game if we want it) or cancelled, we needed to go 6-2 to possibly make the tournament. Now we only need to go 5-2, which is easier. But damn, this game did nothing to convince me that 5-2 is possible.

The thing that was most frustrating for me was the turnovers. I was impressed by our handling of the press against St. John's. Our season average for TO% is 20.3% and St. John's average for the TO% they force is 23.1%. Should have been a turnover fest but we only coughed it up 12 times for TO% of 17.4%. I was hoping we could build on that performance but instead posted a TO% of 31.3% against a Butler team that does not force turnovers. That was completely on us.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2021, 11:28:15 AM »
Assuming no more games get scheduled (we still have Georgetown at home and an open non-con game if we want it) or cancelled, we needed to go 6-2 to possibly make the tournament. Now we only need to go 5-2, which is easier. But damn, this game did nothing to convince me that 5-2 is possible.

The thing that was most frustrating for me was the turnovers. I was impressed by our handling of the press against St. John's. Our season average for TO% is 20.3% and St. John's average for the TO% they force is 23.1%. Should have been a turnover fest but we only coughed it up 12 times for TO% of 17.4%. I was hoping we could build on that performance but instead posted a TO% of 31.3% against a Butler team that does not force turnovers. That was completely on us.
6-2 to put us at 15-11, and that is deserving to make the dance? Cue the old Johnny Cash song..."Dream on, dream on teenage queen", or the Everly Bros. song "Dream, Dream.." or Johnny Burnette, "Dreamin, I'm Just Dreamin"