[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Naming The Virus  (Read 4427 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Naming The Virus
« on: January 28, 2021, 07:18:50 PM »
So, we can call one version the British variant, and another, the South African variant, and another, the Braziliant variant.  However, the “original” virus can’t be called the China virus?

Just quoting the press.  Seems, at the minimum, disingenuous, perhaps (#abouttowalkuptothescoopnopoliticsline), political?

BTW, whole family had it, lost a friend and a coworker to it. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Naming The Virus
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 07:29:45 PM »
So, we can call one version the British variant, and another, the South African variant, and another, the Braziliant variant.  However, the “original” virus can’t be called the China virus?

Just quoting the press.  Seems, at the minimum, disingenuous, perhaps (#abouttowalkuptothescoopnopoliticsline), political?

When the intent is to deflect blame and blame a country for it then yes. It’s wrong to do so.

BTW Ziggy already tried this and he got dunked on too.

Thoughts and prayers.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 07:31:44 PM »
When the intent is to deflect blame and blame a country for it then yes. It’s wrong to do so.

BTW Ziggy already tried this and he got dunked on too.

Thoughts and prayers.

Jesus, nice try.  And thanks for taking the bait.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 07:32:05 PM »
Yes, this is the problem facing us all.   The wretched unfairness of naming where the variants are originating as opposed to trying to make an insult out of the country of origin.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 07:34:11 PM »
Yes, this is the problem facing us all.   The wretched unfairness of naming where the variants are originating as opposed to trying to make an insult out of the country of origin.

Good lord.  Give it up. Never seen a night crawler before?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 07:36:43 PM »

That is a great point chili!  Makes ya wonder if the “Brazilian” one ain’t as contagious to some of us follicular challenged fellas, ey?
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 07:51:29 PM »
Jesus, nice try.  And thanks for taking the bait.

Whatever makes you retain some dignity I guess.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 08:04:34 PM »
Whatever makes you retain some dignity I guess.

Fluffy, give it up. Is that the best you got?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 08:06:24 PM by real chili 83 »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 08:06:00 PM »
Oh, and IBFTL

😎

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 08:35:24 PM »
Agreed, it is completely reasonable to name destructive forces based on the location of their origin, which is why, as we all know, the California fires were all called "The Giant Jewish Space Laser fires".
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 08:42:14 PM »
Do those that troll/bait online also do it in-person?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 08:48:59 PM »
Do those that troll/bait online also do it in-person?

don't leave us hangin there jes man

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 09:16:03 PM »
Since we first detected AIDS should you call it the America Virus?
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 09:38:40 PM »
Well gee, I guess calling it the "kung flu" wasn't bad at all then!  Thanks for the heads up RC!

dipsh*ts.

These aren't different virus', they're different strains.  The initial strain of sars-cov-2 / covid-19 was from Wuhan/China. So the virus is sars-cov-2 / covid-19 , and the first strain we knew of was the Wuhan strain.  But the virus is still covid-19.

But you know all that, you're just trying to defend the indefensible.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:41:47 PM by rocky_warrior »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 05:46:53 AM »
Ah, so this is what happens to rudderless old men who have lost the ability to think for themselves.

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 07:33:25 AM »
Ah, so this is what happens to rudderless old men who have lost the ability to think for themselves.

What ever happened to wood working?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 07:37:33 AM »
So many old men wonder about their wood working.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 08:13:00 AM »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 02:35:49 PM »

So woke ^^^^^^

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 02:39:12 PM »
So woke ^^^^^^

reactionary take from a reactionary.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 09:03:57 PM »
Well gee, I guess calling it the "kung flu" wasn't bad at all then!  Thanks for the heads up RC!

dipsh*ts.

pardon me if i missed the reference HERE to "kung flu" but i don't think that was an example chili referenced, right?

so do we need to change the names of spanish flu and german measles just like the schools, streets and buildings now too.  remember that saying about history

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2021, 09:09:54 PM »
  pardon me if i missed the reference HERE to "kung flu" but i don't think that was an example chili referenced, right?

so do we need to change the names of spanish flu and german measles just like the schools, streets and buildings now too.  remember that saying about history

The Spanish flu should probably be renamed to the American flu actually if we are going by the standard you guys want
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2021, 10:20:19 PM »

I guess you haven't caught up on news in the last 8 months...you must be in the 34%
https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/507136-poll-66-percent-say-use-of-terms-kung-flu-china-virus

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2021, 10:26:29 PM »
What ever happened to wood working?

Has you seen the price of lumber these days?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2021, 07:30:43 AM »
I guess you haven't caught up on news in the last 8 months...you must be in the 34%
https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/507136-poll-66-percent-say-use-of-terms-kung-flu-china-virus

that poll was from last july.  personally, i just call it covid.  everything else, china, kung, wuhan is just click bait for more "hate trump" ramp up rhetoric to more hate trump rhetoric.  it's all really very easy to rile up the left and the liberals.  except for the amounts of money some(NBA, bloomberg, biden inc, the universities etc) make from china, i do not understand how china escapes harsher criticism.  from human right abuses to giving the the finger to the paris accord and their secretiveness to power up, china should be aggressively shunned and/or pressured into cleaning up their chit. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2021, 07:58:34 AM »
just click bait for more "hate trump" ramp up rhetoric to more hate trump rhetoric.  it's all really very easy to rile up the left and the liberals.
I really need to not get so worked up about a fascist insurrection attempt to overthrow the government and install a dictator. Just need to chill...
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2021, 08:28:57 AM »
that poll was from last july.  personally, i just call it covid.  everything else, china, kung, wuhan is just click bait for more "hate trump" ramp up rhetoric to more hate trump rhetoric.  it's all really very easy to rile up the left and the liberals.  except for the amounts of money some(NBA, bloomberg, biden inc, the universities etc) make from china, i do not understand how china escapes harsher criticism.  from human right abuses to giving the the finger to the paris accord and their secretiveness to power up, china should be aggressively shunned and/or pressured into cleaning up their chit. 

I don’t disagree with you about China.

Derisively labeling a disease is simple, symbolic and completely ineffective. IOW right in Trump’s wheelhouse.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2021, 12:49:20 PM »
that poll was from last july.  personally, i just call it covid. 

Great, then we agree.  We should just drop the slang terms that one literal loser chose to use.

feedback