[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lineup Insanity: Doing the same thing repeatedly & expecting different results  (Read 1698 times)

mutodd5

• Walk-On
Updated to include ~ average minutes

Clearly, what we have and the rotations we have are not working....I think we need a bit of a shakeup.  Wojo will be here throughout the remainder of this year and likely next season as he likely gets a pass on this year based on Markus graduating/being young/awkwardness of the COVID season.  Having said that, I want this to be a proactive thread on what can be done moving forward.

I think the starting lineup is fine, but we cannot run our offense through Theo the majority of the game.  He's a senior, but he isn't Davante Gardner down low.  Why isn't Garcia ever on the blocks posting up?  Should we play Garcia as a stretch 5 more?

Below is my suggestion....and I'm curious on other's thoughts.  I would run this the same each half (other than foul trouble).  Down the final 4 minutes of the game, go with the most successful lineup for that particular game.

Starting lineup:
  • DJ Carton
  • Koby McEwen
  • Jamal Cain
  • Dawson Garcia
  • Theo John

Under 16 TO:
  • DJ Carton
  • Koby McEwen
  • Jamal Cain
  • Justin Lewis
  • Theo John

Under 12 TO:
  • Symir Torrence
  • DJ Carton
  • Greg Elliott
  • Jamal Cain
  • Dawson Garcia

Under 8 TO: (may need to adjust based on foul trouble)
  • Symir Torrence
  • Koby McEwen
  • Greg Elliott
  • Dawson Garcia
  • Theo John

Under 4 TO: (may need to adjust based on foul trouble)
  • DJ Carton
  • Koby McEwen
  • Jamal Cain
  • Dawson Garcia
  • Justin Lewis

Roughly, minutes would be allocated like this, and would change due to timing of the stoppages and foul trouble.
  • DJ Carton - 32 minutes - 24 @ 1, 8 @ 2
  • Symir Torrence - 16 minutes 16 @ 1
  • Koby McEwen - 32 minutes @ 2
  • Jamal Cain - 32 minutes - 24 @ 3, 8 @ 4
  • Dawson Garcia - 32 minutes - 24 @ 4, 8 @ 5
  • Theo John - 24 minutes - 24 @ 5
  • Greg Elliott - 16 minutes - 16 @ 3
  • Justin Lewis - 16 minutes - 8 @ 4, 8 @ 5
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 12:33:39 PM by mutodd5 »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Clearly, what we have and the rotations we have are not working....I think we need a bit of a shakeup.  Wojo will be here throughout the remainder of this year and likely next season as he likely gets a pass on this year based on Markus graduating/being young/awkwardness of the COVID season.  Having said that, I want this to be a proactive thread on what can be done moving forward:

I think the starting lineup is fine, but we cannot run our offense through Theo the majority of the game.  He's a senior, but he isn't Davante Gardner down low.  Why isn't Garcia ever on the blocks posting up?  Should we play Garcia as a stretch 5 more?

Below is my suggestion....and I'm curious on other's thoughts.  I would run this the same each half (other than foul trouble).  Down the final 4 minutes of the game, go with the most successful lineup for that particular game.

Starting lineup:
  • DJ Carton
  • Koby McEwen
  • Jamal Cain
  • Dawson Garcia
  • Theo John

Under 16 TO:
  • DJ Carton
  • Koby McEwen
  • Jamal Cain
  • Justin Lewis
  • Theo John

Under 12 TO:
  • Symir Torrence
  • DJ Carton
  • Greg Elliott
  • Jamal Cain
  • Dawson Garcia

Under 8 TO: (may need to adjust based on foul trouble)
  • DJ Carton
  • Koby McEwen
  • Greg Elliott
  • Dawson Garcia
  • Theo John

Under 4 TO: (may need to adjust based on foul trouble)
  • DJ Carton
  • Koby McEwen
  • Jamal Cain
  • Dawson Garcia
  • Justin Lewis

I think scripting lineups is a bad idea.

tower912

• All American
Wojo gets his starting lineups and rotations and almost never changes them.    Some exceptions.   The year MU beat #1 Nova, two weeks later he announced every starting position was up for grabs and would be determined by effort in practice.    Result, Heldt started over Luke and JjJ had a DNP/CD after showing up late for a practice.    Chartouny got a lot more run early than he did late.    Bailey started playing more later in his freshman year because Joey was slumping and Bailey played better defense that year.   Rowsey was benched for not working hard in practice.    That lasted about 2 minutes as Markus picked up a couple of quick fouls.

Akanno played early last night.   Only 7 minutes.   Wojo lauded his work in practice and said he rewarded him.   Cain played poorly again.    I can see a scenario where Akanno takes over at the 3 from Cain.   

I think it is time to start integrating Osa into the rotation.    Garcia is not playing well right now.   I agree that you can't run the offense through Theo.    Let Osa play the high post with anybody else down on the low block and have him fling himself around on defense for 4-6 minutes a game.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mutodd5

• Walk-On
I think scripting lineups is a bad idea.

I disagree.  I think it is having a plan to start from that is different than our current plan.  Obviously, game flow and fouls would have you deviate from it.  My only point with this post is that the current rotation strategy and lineup combinations that he's been putting out there each game haven't really had much of an impact.  I think Greg and Jamal on the floor at the same time is good chemistry on offense.  We are lacking an end of the shot-clock creator/scorer.  DJ could be that, but he's inconsistent and best suited as a combo guard vs an all time PG.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
On Garcia, he is a finesse player in a bangers body. My observation is that he shies from contact and wilts when he gets hit in the post. I don't know that it will happen this season, but he needs to get used to contact and learn to play through it. In practice, I'd have him post up, put two defenders on him and tell them that nothing is a foul and make him learn to use his size and play through contact.

I think the high low game that we've been doing is the right call for this roster but Theo hasn't been nearly as effective as he was in the beginning of the season. I assume that part of the blame is his knee limiting him. He was actually solid last night (9 points, 4/7, 2 turns) but the turnovers came at key moments.

Ideally, I think you would run more with Lewis and Garcia but Lewis is small for a 5 and Garcia doesn't like to bang like a 5. Lewis ain't getting bigger so getting Garcia used to contact I think is the best way forward.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

On Garcia, he is a finesse player in a bangers body. My observation is that he shies from contact and wilts when he gets hit in the post. I don't know that it will happen this season, but he needs to get used to contact and learn to play through it. In practice, I'd have him post up, put two defenders on him and tell them that nothing is a foul and make him learn to use his size and play through contact.

That's a great practice idea.

As you said, it might be that Theo's knee is limiting his game. Regardless, Dawson seems to be out best option in the low post, so we need him to get better at battling inside.

SaveOD238

• All American

I think the high low game that we've been doing is the right call for this roster but Theo hasn't been nearly as effective as he was in the beginning of the season. I assume that part of the blame is his knee limiting him. He was actually solid last night (9 points, 4/7, 2 turns) but the turnovers came at key moments.

I would have to go back and re-watch the tape (which I definitely will not) but there's no way Theo only had two turnovers last night.  He looked like Chris Otule out there with how many passes he was dropping or let sail past.

franklinjerry

• Starter
Any summary with 16 minutes for Sy is a disaster. I would like to see if Oso remembers where the scorers table is located.

mutodd5

• Walk-On
Any summary with 16 minutes for Sy is a disaster. I would like to see if Oso remembers where the scorers table is located.

I’d be fine seeing Dexter and Symir split those 16 minutes.