Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Friared into the sun  (Read 6117 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Friared into the sun
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 09:20:38 AM »
I could have sworn the announcer mentioning that Wojo was calling for no fouls and was surprised that we fouled anyway.  I may have misinterpreted.

The announcer did say that, but watching that situation basically play out twice in a game where we gave extra opportunities & watching these sorts of lapses in general leads me to give this staff less leeway than I would if I believed they and the team had a firm grasp of understanding the importance of metrics in the modern game.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 09:45:34 AM »
I'd really like DJ to realize that is by far our most talented player and be aggressive from the start. I don't (ever again) want to see Markus-like usage, just him forcing the action, driving, and looking to initiate the action much more aggressively.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

connie

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 09:51:30 AM »
I could have sworn the announcer mentioning that Wojo was calling for no fouls and was surprised that we fouled anyway.  I may have misinterpreted.
I think this happens often, where Wojo gives instruction and it seems like it is just ignored.  But the inability of players to execute to Wojo's vision is ultimately on Wojo.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 11:37:08 AM »
I'd really like DJ to realize that is by far our most talented player and be aggressive from the start. I don't (ever again) want to see Markus-like usage, just him forcing the action, driving, and looking to initiate the action much more aggressively.
The whole team needs to play more aggressively.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2021, 11:40:01 AM »
Like der hare is on fire. aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 11:41:33 AM »
The whole team needs to play more aggressively.

I agree, and it starts on defense. They suck in a zone/passive man. Switching it up and throwing some pressure/trapping into the mix has been a shot in the arm at times this season. I'd like to see more of it when they need a boost.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 12:12:32 PM »
The thing that strikes me is a consistent lack of team speed.    I started a thread about the hole in Wojo's recruiting being a lack of switchables.   There aren't any on this team.   There aren't any in the next class.    Probably the closest thing to a switchable that Wojo has recruited is Sacar.    I hoped Dexter would be the next, but the jury is out on that.    Both are really just big guards.   
   So, playing aggressively on defense.    All for it.   Unless of course there is a lack of lateral quickness and recovery.     Switching everything.   Love it.   Until Theo ends up on Gillespie.      Swarming, trapping, my dream scenario.   With Dawson?   Very talented.   Not fast. 
   Offensively, no switchables.   No dead eye shooters.     Muggsy wants a motion offense with off the ball screening and cutting, a la old IU teams or even the one dream run from Florida Gulf Coast.   Get it.   Love the concept.    With two out of the three of Theo, Lewis, and Garcia on the floor, who is going to be running off screens?    Greg?   Love it.    Get him more shots.    Until he dribbles.     Jamal?    Could he come off a screen, catch the ball, turn and shoot?   Haven't seen it.    If they close fast and he gives an upfake, then he steps to the side and shoots the 3?    Haven't seen it.    Next option, fake and start *(shudder, gasp) dribbling.    Koby?   Actually, sign me up for that.    Dropping Garcia/Lewis down to the low block area and having Greg and running off low cross screens actually makes a lot of sense.    Until the opponent catches on and starts jumping the pass.    Also leaves no one to set the high screen until after the two wings have crossed and not gotten the ball.   Then you can go into your 3 out/2 in motion, but with 10-12 left on the clock.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 01:18:09 PM »
The thing that strikes me is a consistent lack of team speed.    I started a thread about the hole in Wojo's recruiting being a lack of switchables.   There aren't any on this team.   There aren't any in the next class.    Probably the closest thing to a switchable that Wojo has recruited is Sacar.    I hoped Dexter would be the next, but the jury is out on that.    Both are really just big guards.   
   So, playing aggressively on defense.    All for it.   Unless of course there is a lack of lateral quickness and recovery.     Switching everything.   Love it.   Until Theo ends up on Gillespie.      Swarming, trapping, my dream scenario.   With Dawson?   Very talented.   Not fast. 
   Offensively, no switchables.   No dead eye shooters.     Muggsy wants a motion offense with off the ball screening and cutting, a la old IU teams or even the one dream run from Florida Gulf Coast.   Get it.   Love the concept.    With two out of the three of Theo, Lewis, and Garcia on the floor, who is going to be running off screens?    Greg?   Love it.    Get him more shots.    Until he dribbles.     Jamal?    Could he come off a screen, catch the ball, turn and shoot?   Haven't seen it.    If they close fast and he gives an upfake, then he steps to the side and shoots the 3?    Haven't seen it.    Next option, fake and start *(shudder, gasp) dribbling.    Koby?   Actually, sign me up for that.    Dropping Garcia/Lewis down to the low block area and having Greg and running off low cross screens actually makes a lot of sense.    Until the opponent catches on and starts jumping the pass.    Also leaves no one to set the high screen until after the two wings have crossed and not gotten the ball.   Then you can go into your 3 out/2 in motion, but with 10-12 left on the clock.   

A couple of things I often look for...

1) Lateral Quickness. Can you stay in front of your man and defend?

2) Can this player create his own shot if need be, if the offense breaks down?

Wojo's teams have lacked elite athleticism on the whole, and as you say, switchables, players that can play multiple positions.

The athletic 2/3 players with some length, that can play a 1 or 4 in a pinch too, that has a handle, can shoot it, defend, create turnovers etc...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2021, 02:55:54 PM »
The thing that strikes me is a consistent lack of team speed.    
This is where the idea of Wojo losing the team and lack of effort/toughness comes from, IMO.  We are usually beaten to loose balls and it sure looks like lack of effort, when we are more likely just slow to the ball.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.