Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Wojo;s next stop (2021-22 at least) will be:

Head Coach at MU
64 (51.2%)
Head Coach at a mid-major
22 (17.6%)
Assistant Coach at a P6 school
20 (16%)
Media/game analyst for FOX, ESPN
18 (14.4%)
University administration
1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Author Topic: Wojo's next stop  (Read 8464 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Wojo's next stop
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2021, 11:23:10 PM »
I was referring to him getting a job as a network analyst or color commentator.
Ha—my bad.
By the end of your posting tonight he’ll not only be fired from mu, never coach again......to getting booed off the set of a streamed college basketball game in th e future cuz he’s so boooiring.
I hate MUBB so much....I wish I could just post about t on every thread all the time

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2021, 11:32:45 PM »
Ha—my bad.
By the end of your posting tonight he’ll not only be fired from mu, never coach again......to getting booed off the set of a streamed college basketball game in th e future cuz he’s so boooiring.
I hate MUBB so much....I wish I could just post about t on every thread all the time

Having charisma is part of the job of a color commentator.  Pete Gillen is a charismatic and upbeat guy, but his commentary is bad because he’s a dinosaur and the game has passed him by.  Steve Lavin is also charismatic, but he’s far better in the studio than doing a game, where he’s pretty awful.

I don’t think Wojo would be cut out for the job.  That’s what I’m saying.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2021, 11:47:57 PM »
Having charisma is part of the job of a color commentator.  Pete Gillen is a charismatic and upbeat guy, but his commentary is bad because he’s a dinosaur and the game has passed him by.  Steve Lavin is also charismatic, but he’s far better in the studio than doing a game, where he’s pretty awful.

I don’t think Wojo would be cut out for the job.  That’s what I’m saying.
So what you are saying is wojo’s:
Not a HM coach
He maybe a MM coach (if you like losing)
He best suited as an assistant...but not any more.
He can’t be a color guy cuz he’s boring.
He can’t be a play by play guy cuz he sux.
I was thinking he maybe safe as a postman but you may sic your pit bull on him.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 12:13:00 AM »
He and Dickie Simpkins can just trade places.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2021, 05:37:19 AM »
Equipment Manager at a D3 school.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 06:26:50 AM »
He could be a commentator - hell, he's almost as good a coach as Lappas was.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 06:28:02 AM »
He could be a commentator - hell, he's almost as good a coach as Lappas was.

He's got the coach speak and the ability to say words without meaning.  He would be a fine commentator.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 06:42:24 AM »
He and Dickie Simpkins can just trade places.

Our social media team would have the best hashtags.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2021, 07:05:07 AM »
Is Wendy’s hiring?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 07:12:37 AM »
LMAO at the notion he could be an analyst for any network—you sorta have to understand the game in order to land such a gig.
Dickie Simpkins says hello.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2021, 10:35:04 AM »
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 10:52:07 AM »
Is Wendy’s hiring?

Sir, this is am Arby's.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2021, 11:03:53 AM »
I don't think Wojo is going anywhere, but frankly, at this point I don't see how the admin can't make a move.

I've never been on the fire wojo bandwagon, but moreso because I was worried about what it would do to our recruiting class and returning players.  Well, next years recruiting class isn't impressive at all IMO, and I think that Carton/Garcia are probably a coinflip to stay regardless of what happens. 

It is time to move on.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2021, 11:11:37 AM »
We are at the point after this year where they would have to extend for recruiting purposes.  So here are the options.

1. Fire him and pay out the buyout.  Obviously the negative here is the University's financial situation.
2. Keep him and extend him.  PR nightmare, even if you lower the guaranteed money.
3. Keep him and don't extend him.  Least expensive option but twists him in the wind recruiting wise.

IMO you have to do #1 or #2.  #3 signals you aren't sold on the guy but don't have the balls to make a change.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2021, 11:26:36 AM »
I don't think Wojo is going anywhere, but frankly, at this point I don't see how the admin can't make a move.

I've never been on the fire wojo bandwagon, but moreso because I was worried about what it would do to our recruiting class and returning players.  Well, next years recruiting class isn't impressive at all IMO, and I think that Carton/Garcia are probably a coinflip to stay regardless of what happens. 

It is time to move on.

Personally I'm excited about Aidoo and Mitchell. I think Aidoo ends up being a top 50 recruit by the time he gets here (already top 33 on Rivals) and I think Mitchell is currently underranked. Jones looks like a project. That being said, keeping a recruiting class together is never reason to keep a coach, especially with intsa-transfers becoming a thing.

In a normal year, I think Wojo would be gone at the end of the season (barring an incredible run to end the season).  Unfortunately, this isn't a normal year. Marquette is getting torched for laying off 1.3% of their staff and that's barely making a dent in the financial hardship brought on by COVID. Paying millions to fire a coach and hire a new one just isn't going to fly in the current climate.

I think the only path forward (barring a run to end the season) is to Harbaugh Wojo. Trade a recruiting extension for a lower buyout and give Wojo the chance to bet on himself next season to keep his job.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2021, 11:30:28 AM »
Eye woodant keep any coach on da "what if" his incumin' recruits are da bomb. If a change iz warranted, ya make da change, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2021, 11:33:41 AM »
We are at the point after this year where they would have to extend for recruiting purposes.  So here are the options.

1. Fire him and pay out the buyout.  Obviously the negative here is the University's financial situation.
2. Keep him and extend him.  PR nightmare, even if you lower the guaranteed money.
3. Keep him and don't extend him.  Least expensive option but twists him in the wind recruiting wise.

IMO you have to do #1 or #2.  #3 signals you aren't sold on the guy but don't have the balls to make a change.

Assuming we continue on the trajectory this season has been headed on I can see them extending but restructuring, similar to what UM did with Harbaugh. You cant' have a coach on a one year deal as it ruins any ability to recruit so you're just screwing yourself. Set it up so it's 5 years, incentive-based and with a lower buyout so you can move on if needed. Next year is make/break, especially if we return DJ, Garcia and JL.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2021, 11:35:20 AM »
If 2 or all of Lewis Garcia and Carton leave then I say can Wojo no matter what. If they come back give Wojo his shot next year to avoid the optics of paying his buyout during the financial hardships.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2021, 11:40:56 AM »
Herd Walmart's hirin' greeters, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2021, 11:48:50 AM »
Eye woodant keep any coach on da "what if" his incumin' recruits are da bomb. If a change iz warranted, ya make da change, hey?
Same goes for being afraid of losing existing players to transfer. All these so called high level recruits that everyone gets their panties wet for aren’t translating into wins.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2021, 11:59:52 AM »
As long as MU has a TV contract they will not care about how good the program is. As long as they are part of the big east and as long as other good teams are part of the conference, they will not care.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2021, 12:08:06 PM »
A lot, not much though, of basketball left, but the trajectory is neither inspiring nor acceptable.  Buyout aside, if a head coach is not the fit now, then why trust that coach to recruit another season?  If finances are driving the decision, the potential of lost revenues (between tournament credits, fan support and attendance) could very well be higher than the buyout.  I don’t think a number of posters are giving enough credit to our administration.  They recognize basketball as a very valuable tool to promote and represent the school.  It does not take an analytical basketball expert to see the growing list of concerns we have, and more that we will have as far as routine and regular roster turnover this season.

I do think Wojo returns to Duke as assistant head coach.  That will buy him time to rebuild his resume and pursue another mid-to-high major job in a few seasons.  IMO, Wojo needs to exit his Duke bubble and either take a mid-major job or even take lead assistant job from an outside circle.  He needs to diversify his understanding and instruction of the game.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2021, 12:08:38 PM »
Assuming we continue on the trajectory this season has been headed on I can see them extending but restructuring, similar to what UM did with Harbaugh. You cant' have a coach on a one year deal as it ruins any ability to recruit so you're just screwing yourself. Set it up so it's 5 years, incentive-based and with a lower buyout so you can move on if needed. Next year is make/break, especially if we return DJ, Garcia and JL.

I don't disagree with you.  I just hope MU understands that this will not be received well regardless and Fiserv could get pretty ugly next year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2021, 12:10:39 PM »
Publicly, Scholl-Lovell will say that a one-year blip is to expected in the sport (see Wisconsin a few years ago, Duke & Kentucky this year).  Privately, they have to realize that the program is going nowhere and peaking at sub-.500 in conference play.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2021, 12:11:17 PM »

I don't disagree with you.  I just hope MU understands that this will not be received well regardless and Fiserv could get pretty ugly next year.

For the fans that bother showing up, yes it will be very ugly.