[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU's Offense  (Read 4316 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
MU's Offense
« on: January 27, 2021, 09:16:38 PM »
Excuse my ignorance but do we run an offense?  How can a starter be on the floor for 20 mins and have a stat line of 0-0.?  This team is so poor fundamentally, absolutely awful.

Johnny B

• All American
Re: MU's Offense
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 09:19:34 PM »
who was 0-0

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 09:20:39 PM »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 09:23:17 PM »
Unless Cain got hurt, that stat is unacceptable. From Garcia getting 4 shots last game to Cain a donut donut?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 09:27:09 PM »
I have never coached so I ask this sincerely:  Do we run an offense or know how to create space off the ball?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 09:29:24 PM »
I have never coached so I ask this sincerely:  Do we run an offense or know how to create space off the ball?
I can't tell if you're a parody account.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 09:33:27 PM »
Game was won by PU because:

MU 15 to PU 7 turnovers
PU 12 to 3 MU offensive rebounds. Bad.....
PU 28 to MU 15 free throw attempts

Heck, PU shot 35% to MU 48% and still won. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 09:38:50 PM »
Game was won by PU because:

MU 15 to PU 7 turnovers
PU 12 to 3 MU offensive rebounds. Bad.....
PU 28 to MU 15 free throw attempts

Heck, PU shot 35% to MU 48% and still won.
Not to be that guy, but it is PC.

Our offense lacks movement of all sorts, passing, off the ball.  We struggle to complete routine perimeter passes.  It is unlike anything I have seen before.  We've always scored well in Wojo's tenure, but we don't have the horses this year to be so ball dominant and we could use a little more structure with this group.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 09:41:18 PM »
Not to be that guy, but it is PC.

Our offense lacks movement of all sorts, passing, off the ball.  We struggle to complete routine perimeter passes.  It is unlike anything I have seen before.  We've always scored well in Wojo's tenure, but we don't have the horses this year to be so ball dominant and we could use a little more structure with this group.

We also have shot bricks from distance .

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 09:45:08 PM »
Wojo’s offense is hero ball that caters to an offensive stud guard who heaves up 20+ shots a game (Carlino, Rowsey, Howard)....difference this year is there’s no stud and we suck.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 09:51:09 PM »
Wojo’s offense is hero ball that caters to an offensive stud guard who heaves up 20+ shots a game (Carlino, Rowsey, Howard)....difference this year is there’s no stud and we suck.

We’ve never had a player take 20+ shots a game. Markus is the only player who’s taken more than 15.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 10:56:03 PM »
We’ve never had a player take 20+ shots a game. Markus is the only player who’s taken more than 15.
Nope.  Dozens of examples of players shooting 15+ shots...go ahead and comb through the glory year of Carlino.  Do you understand exaggerations?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 06:32:15 AM »
Nope.  Dozens of examples of players shooting 15+ shots...go ahead and comb through the glory year of Carlino.  Do you understand exaggerations?

In a single game? Well, I’d be shocked if there isn’t a player who “heaves” the ball while playing “hero ball” on almost every college team every season.

Matt Carlino averaged 11 shots per game at Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 07:24:29 AM »
Anyone who thinks that Wojo doesn't run an offense or that its centered around "hero ball" should probably realize they are WAY out of their depth here.

Of course they run an offense.  Offense has rarely been a problem on Wojo's teams.  Look at the second half of the PC game.  Offense was hardly a problem.  I see two major issues.  First, we don't get consistent outside shooting.  Second, we should be placing Garcia on the block and working through him.

I love Theo, but I think the offense worked best yesterday when we had DJ, Justin, Koby, Dawson and Greg / Symir on the floor.  On another board, someone mentioned that this team would probably due better with a five out look to free up driving and cutting lanes, but you can't really do that with Theo out there.  No one will respect his shot.  My guess is that we will see more of that look next year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 07:27:55 AM »
Anyone who thinks that Wojo doesn't run an offense or that its centered around "hero ball" should probably realize they are WAY out of their depth here.

Of course they run an offense.  Offense has rarely been a problem on Wojo's teams.  Look at the second half of the PC game.  Offense was hardly a problem.  I see two major issues.  First, we don't get consistent outside shooting.  Second, we should be placing Garcia on the block and working through him.

I love Theo, but I think the offense worked best yesterday when we had DJ, Justin, Koby, Dawson and Greg / Symir on the floor.  On another board, someone mentioned that this team would probably due better with a five out look to free up driving and cutting lanes, but you can't really do that with Theo out there.  No one will respect his shot.  My guess is that we will see more of that look next year.
Yep, that is much the case.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 07:36:20 AM »

I have seen women's team pass the ball with more snap than this team. Our players have teflon hands.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 07:42:25 AM »

Yes, but what about the first half?

What about the turns?

What about the FT attempts?

This year especially our offense has been wildly inconsistent and our 3 pt shooting is way down.  The reason our offensive numbers were better in the past is primarily Howard and the 3-Ball but also we could get to the line.  We don't really have a pure scorer or consistent outside shooter on this team. 

Our most talented player has not been put in spots to score on a consistent basis.  The fact is Rowsey. Howard, and to a smaller degree Sam and Joey, could get good looks at the bucket one on one.  We really don't have that this year. Part of it may be youth but the turns absolutely kill us time and time again.  We over dribble. don't move the rock, and rarely create good looks in our h-c offense.  Lots of guys standing around, ball stopping, and no change of pace, patience, use of the shot fake, swinging the basketball, etc, etc, etc.  We constantly play with hesitation and a look of utter confusion on our faces. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 07:45:13 AM »
We aren't getting FTs because we don't attack the basket with consistency.  We turn the ball over a lot because that's what Wojo's teams have done.  It's been a chronic problem since he has been here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 07:47:34 AM »
Yes, Marquette runs an offense.    The previous 6 years, it has been a 4 out.    This year, it is a 3 out- two in with a high and low post.   This does not lend itself to a great deal of movement off the ball.    It starts with a high pick and roll or pick and pop.     IMO, the change is due to personnel.   

Muggsy wants more off the ball screens.    He wants to see players come off screens and catch the ball in a triple threat position.   He wants a motion offense with constant off the ball movement and screening.     

Turnovers come from bad hands.   Lack of attention to detail.   Much like a qb and a wr not being on the same page for an option route, the passer not being on the same page as the receiver of the pass.     Players trying to play beyond their skill set.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 08:13:43 AM »
Yes, Marquette runs an offense.    The previous 6 years, it has been a 4 out.    This year, it is a 3 out- two in with a high and low post.   This does not lend itself to a great deal of movement off the ball.    It starts with a high pick and roll or pick and pop.     IMO, the change is due to personnel.   

Muggsy wants more off the ball screens.    He wants to see players come off screens and catch the ball in a triple threat position.   He wants a motion offense with constant off the ball movement and screening.     

Turnovers come from bad hands.   Lack of attention to detail.   Much like a qb and a wr not being on the same page for an option route, the passer not being on the same page as the receiver of the pass.     Players trying to play beyond their skill set.

Ty.  That's exactly what Muggsy wants.  Muggsy does not like Moais in our h-c offense.  If he wants to see Moais he will fly to Easter Island.  Our spacing,  dribbling, passing, catching, and ball movement have been atrocious Tower.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2021, 08:22:18 AM »

Ellenson

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2021, 10:43:47 AM »
In a single game? Well, I’d be shocked if there isn’t a player who “heaves” the ball while playing “hero ball” on almost every college team every season.

Matt Carlino averaged 11 shots per game at Marquette.
I’ll take your word for it on Carlino.  I bet if you look at the 5 games where he had the most attempts MU had a winning record during what was a horrible season.

Point is, without an unbalanced offense where one guy can go off at any given moment, Wojo’s offense is brutal.

The posts above explain much better (technically) than I could.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2021, 11:16:51 AM »
I’ll take your word for it on Carlino.  I bet if you look at the 5 games where he had the most attempts MU had a winning record during what was a horrible season.

Out of curiosity I looked.

Georgia Tech (N): Carlino 38 points with 8/18 shooting, 72-70 MU win
Providence (A): Carlino 21 points with 8/18 shooting, 66-77 MU loss
Seton Hall (N): Carlino 26 points with 9/18 shooting, 78-56 MU win
DePaul (H): Carlino 20 points with 6/17 shooting, 58-48 MU win
Georgetown (H): Carlino 26 points with 8/16 shooting, 85-95 MU OT loss
Butler (H): Carlino 18 points with 5/16 shooting, 68-72 MU OT loss

So 3 of Marquette's 7 wins against P6 teams were in Carlino's top 3 FGA games.

In Marquette's 4 other wins against P6 teams Carlino went:
Tennessee (N): 6 points 2/5 shooting
Arizona State (H): 9 points 2/5 shooting
Providence (H): 10 points 3/11 shooting
Creighton (H): 19 points 6/10 shooting

Conclusion? Carlino carried us to victory in a couple of games but was also pretty limited in other wins. With a usage of 24.2% and eFG% of 53.3%, definitely wouldn't call him a hero baller or chucker.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2021, 12:08:04 PM »
Good modern offenses utilize ball movement to find weak spots in the defense and create advantage such as open 3 point shots, open lanes to the basket, open passes to open cutters, and one-on-one situations with size or quickness advantage.

Wojo's offense utilizes dribbling and occasional people movement but very little ball movement which is why it doesn't work.

So the answer is yes, the team runs an offense.  Just not a very effective one. 

When combined with ineffective defense and ineffective leadership, the result is losses.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2021, 05:39:02 PM »
Good modern offenses utilize ball movement to find weak spots in the defense and create advantage such as open 3 point shots, open lanes to the basket, open passes to open cutters, and one-on-one situations with size or quickness advantage.

Wojo's offense utilizes dribbling and occasional people movement but very little ball movement which is why it doesn't work.

So the answer is yes, the team runs an offense.  Just not a very effective one. 

When combined with ineffective defense and ineffective leadership, the result is losses.

Exactly.