Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Game Boycott Next Year?  (Read 11035 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Game Boycott Next Year?
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2021, 10:23:54 PM »
I think we underestimate the arrogance of coaches. I could see many coaches thinking to themselves that they can do a much better job than Wojo currently is.

Some might be relieved that the tipping point is 6 years of no tournament wins as a pretty long leash for fans.

It’s not like fans are upset with a coach that went to a Sweet Sixteen a few years ago and has a conference title or two. The list of accomplishments is pretty short. It’s not like we are calling for changes due to one bad season. It’s been a pretty underwhelming 7 year stretch.

Scrambled Eggs had a nice discussion and brought up something along the lines of would people even consider MU a top 30 program at the moment. I can’t see how they would based on the last 7 years.

Totally agree with your first paragraph. I respect TAMU's opinion on just about everything, but I think he underestimates the tremendous egos these folks have. And I don't say that in a negative way; when you are in a profession like this, you have to think you can move mountains.

When was the last time Marquette ever has hired a proven, NCAA-tournament-game-winning coach with no skeletons in his closet? Answer: Never. So the notion that a boycott would scare away somebody like that ... he ain't coming here anyway. And if he's scared by that challenge, I don't want him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2021, 11:25:10 PM »
When was the last time Marquette ever has hired a proven, NCAA-tournament-game-winning coach with no skeletons in his closet? Answer: Never. So the notion that a boycott would scare away somebody like that ... he ain't coming here anyway. And if he's scared by that challenge, I don't want him.

Again,  I never said anything about a candidate like you are describing. Im talking about candidates we could reasonably land.

I think coaches are a lot smarter than ego driven.  We're in a new world where mid major coaches and top assistants don't jump to just any P6 job, they are comfortable waiting for the right job.  If you think Forbes was in Wake Forests initial 15 calls, i think you are mistaken. That's who was willing to take the job. My prediction is that he eventually gets driven out of town too because what made him successful at ETSU is not sustainable at the high major level. I don't know what our candidate pool would look like but I know it would be smaller if we pulled some crap like that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2021, 09:10:47 AM »
Well, for what it is worth (nothing), I won't be watching tonight's game.  I don't get CBS Sports Network and even though I signed up for a trial last time we played on that channel, it is too much bother for what I have seen so far.  Good Luck Warriors.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2021, 01:07:55 PM »
For whatever it's worth, I sent an email to the AD's office today. If there are other folks to email, I'd do that but at least it's something. I agree with the sentiment that if you're dissatisfied with the direction of the program, do something, however small it may be, so folks in the athletic department know.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2021, 01:25:10 PM »
Again,  I never said anything about a candidate like you are describing. Im talking about candidates we could reasonably land.

I think coaches are a lot smarter than ego driven.  We're in a new world where mid major coaches and top assistants don't jump to just any P6 job, they are comfortable waiting for the right job.  If you think Forbes was in Wake Forests initial 15 calls, i think you are mistaken. That's who was willing to take the job. My prediction is that he eventually gets driven out of town too because what made him successful at ETSU is not sustainable at the high major level. I don't know what our candidate pool would look like but I know it would be smaller if we pulled some crap like that.

How do you think coaches who might be interested in our job view it when fans chant, “Wojo sucks!”?

Would you even want us to hire a guy who would be intimidated by that?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2021, 01:25:58 PM »
For whatever it's worth, I sent an email to the AD's office today. If there are other folks to email, I'd do that but at least it's something. I agree with the sentiment that if you're dissatisfied with the direction of the program, do something, however small it may be, so folks in the athletic department know.

Let us know if you get a response.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2021, 02:20:39 PM »
How do you think coaches who might be interested in our job view it when fans chant, “Wojo sucks!”?

Would you even want us to hire a guy who would be intimidated by that?

Who said anything about the candidate being intimidated?

If Wojo gets fired at the end of a bad season, the narrative is "he didn't live up to expectations so he was fired."

If Wojo gets fired after the fans organize some sort of boycott or walk out, that's national news and the narrative is "the fans made a spectacle so he was fired" regardless of the performance on the court.

One of those means the schools has expectations and will fire a coach that doesn't meet them. The other means the school doesn't have their coach's back and will give into a mob of angry fans.

This isn't about a candidate being intimidated by angry fans. Every fanbase has that. Its about their faith in their perspective supervisors.

That, plus it would be used as a negative recruiting tool for years. This idea can only hurt the program. But like we agree, it will never happen so we're just having a friendly debate on theoreticals
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2021, 02:30:59 PM »

If Wojo gets fired at the end of a bad season, the narrative is "he didn't live up to expectations so he was fired."

If Wojo gets fired after the fans organize some sort of boycott or walk out, that's national news and the narrative is "the fans made a spectacle so he was fired" regardless of the performance on the court.

One of those means the schools has expectations and will fire a coach that doesn't meet them. The other means the school doesn't have their coach's back and will give into a mob of angry fans.

This isn't about a candidate being intimidated by angry fans. Every fanbase has that. Its about their faith in their perspective supervisors.

That, plus it would be used as a negative recruiting tool for years. This idea can only hurt the program. But like we agree, it will never happen so we're just having a friendly debate on theoreticals

Indeed. Have a good one, my friend. Hopefully, we'll both like the result of tonight's game!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2021, 02:56:49 PM »

Like KY fans did to Tubbs and Wake fans did to Bzdelik?

I don't recall ever hearing any lasting negative blow back in those 2 cases.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2021, 03:24:19 PM »
Like KY fans did to Tubbs and Wake fans did to Bzdelik?

I don't recall ever hearing any lasting negative blow back in those 2 cases.

I honestly don't recall any boycotts or walk outs associated with either coach. Can you provide a link? I remember the "for sale sign" gimmick with Tubby.

But in case there was and I just missed it....both programs followed up those coaches by hiring even less successful coaches to replace them. Maybe there was blowback.
TAMU

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2021, 04:32:08 PM »
I honestly don't recall any boycotts or walk outs associated with either coach. Can you provide a link? I remember the "for sale sign" gimmick with Tubby.

But in case there was and I just missed it....both programs followed up those coaches by hiring even less successful coaches to replace them. Maybe there was blowback.

KY was just fans putting his house up for sale AFAIK, I believe Wake fans took out billboards and besides bitching on Wake scoop, booed him etc.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2021, 05:22:36 PM »
KY was just fans putting his house up for sale AFAIK, I believe Wake fans took out billboards and besides bitching on Wake scoop, booed him etc.

Yeah,  that's not the same thing as what's being suggested
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2021, 05:38:17 PM »
If we boycott next year's UALR, will anyone notice?

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2021, 07:21:17 AM »
Well, for what it is worth (nothing), I won't be watching tonight's game.  I don't get CBS Sports Network and even though I signed up for a trial last time we played on that channel, it is too much bother for what I have seen so far.  Good Luck Warriors.

How did the game go?  Did I miss anything?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2021, 09:55:07 AM »
Nothin' at all, hey?

Take it too da streets.

#stormzilber
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"