'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Game Boycott Next Year?  (Read 11049 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Game Boycott Next Year?
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2021, 09:40:04 PM »
As I said, if nobody renews their season tickets, THAT would get the administration's attention.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2021, 10:43:46 PM »
I'm sure top coaches would be lining up to send their resumes to MU after the university fired a coach because some fans pulled a stunt at a game.

A lot of people falsely assume that the administration is happy with the status quo. A boycott is not needed. All that is needed is for the trajectory to remain the same and Wojo will be gone by end of next season. It would have been this season if not for COVID.

That being said, coaches are judged on seasons, not games. They have 9 games to theoretically turn it around. At Providence will tell us a lot about the team. I have little hope at this point that they can pull it off.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2021, 11:26:12 PM »
I'm sure top coaches would be lining up to send their resumes to MU after the university fired a coach because some fans pulled a stunt at a game.

A lot of people falsely assume that the administration is happy with the status quo. A boycott is not needed. All that is needed is for the trajectory to remain the same and Wojo will be gone by end of next season. It would have been this season if not for COVID.

That being said, coaches are judged on seasons, not games. They have 9 games to theoretically turn it around. At Providence will tell us a lot about the team. I have little hope at this point that they can pull it off.
u nojo now or?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2021, 11:44:51 PM »
u nojo now or?

No. I'm as close as I've ever been but I won't be a Nojo until we get to the point where it's no longer possible for us to earn an at large bid. By my current estimation that's four more regular season losses. For me, last season was the first season we didn't live up to expectations. Fail to make the tournament this season and that'll be two in a row and I'll be ready for a change. Unfortunately, Wojo is safe no matter what this season unless either a donor comes out of the woodwork to pay the buyout (the Wake Forest special) or photos of Wojo at the capitol riot surface (credit to whoever made that joke a few weeks ago)
TAMU

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2021, 11:54:00 PM »
No. I'm as close as I've ever been but I won't be a Nojo until we get to the point where it's no longer possible for us to earn an at large bid. By my current estimation that's four more regular season losses. For me, last season was the first season we didn't live up to expectations. Fail to make the tournament this season and that'll be two in a row and I'll be ready for a change. Unfortunately, Wojo is safe no matter what this season unless either a donor comes out of the woodwork to pay the buyout (the Wake Forest special) or photos of Wojo at the capitol riot surface (credit to whoever made that joke a few weeks ago)

Wow, is that really what happened at Wake Forest?  Anyone got Dick Strong's number, hey?

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2021, 07:06:39 AM »
Wow, is that really what happened at Wake Forest?  Anyone got Dick Strong's number, hey?

His bank account isn’t as large as it use to be.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2021, 07:36:02 AM »

I hear what you're saying, but "top coaches" -- those without baggage who have led P6 schools to NCAA tournament success -- are unlikely to come to Marquette, no matter what fans do or don't do.

Meanwhile, top mid-major coaches and top high-level assistants would still be very interested in Marquette, no matter what fans do or don't do.

Coaches are confident creatures. They look at failed situations and say, "I know things don't look great there, but I'm just the guy to turn it around." It's why even supposedly "bad jobs" have plenty of qualified applicants.

And Marquette is not a "failed situation."

Like you, I'd love to see Wojo turn this season around. It's hard to envision it happening, though. We probably will score a couple of great wins, but then we'll turn around and lose to a couple/few BEast dregs.

And assuming MU sticks with Wojo for next season, I'll again be rooting hard for him to win. I will be happy to admit I gave up on him too soon if he competes for a BEast title, scores a high NCAAT seed and gets to the second weekend.

I will not hope the 2021-22 season sucks just so we can get rid of the coach. To me, that is far worse than participating in a boycott.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2021, 08:28:21 AM »
I hear what you're saying, but "top coaches" -- those without baggage who have led P6 schools to NCAA tournament success -- are unlikely to come to Marquette, no matter what fans do or don't do.

Meanwhile, top mid-major coaches and top high-level assistants would still be very interested in Marquette, no matter what fans do or don't do.

Coaches are confident creatures. They look at failed situations and say, "I know things don't look great there, but I'm just the guy to turn it around." It's why even supposedly "bad jobs" have plenty of qualified applicants.

Like you, I'd love to see Wojo turn this season around. It's hard to envision it happening, though. We probably will score a couple of great wins, but then we'll turn around and lose to a couple/few BEast dregs.

And assuming MU sticks with Wojo for next season, I'll again be rooting hard for him to win. I will be happy to admit I gave up on him too soon if he competes for a BEast title, scores a high NCAAT seed and gets to the second weekend.

I will not hope the 2021-22 season sucks just so we can get rid of the coach. To me, that is far worse than participating in a boycott.

Same. I won't stop hoping for the best from this team and consequently the next one and if Wojo get us somewhere I'll celebrate, but it's almost definitely not happening.
Maigh Eo for Sam

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2021, 09:01:57 AM »
Wake Forest is setting the world on fire at 1-6.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2021, 09:14:32 AM »

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:16:14 AM by mujivitz06 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2021, 09:18:03 AM »

When I say top coaches I don't mean the above. I mean the top reasonable choices.

I think you overestimate coaches' confidence and underestimate the coaching network. The coaching world is a small one and they are hyperaware of the pros and cons of each job. If Marquette fired a coach after the fans threw a temper tantrum in the form of boycotting a game, fair or not, that would be a clear signal to prospective coaches that Marquette doesn't have their coach's back and lets the inmates run the asylum. In recent years we have seen plenty of mid-major coaches turn down P6 jobs. St. John's couldn't land Porter Moser for example. Now Marquette is a better job than most and they would get someone, but firing a coach because of stunt like that would make the pool smaller. And if we move on, we HAVE to get the next hire right. Programs can survive one misfire on the coaching front, consecutive misfires can destroy programs for decades.

It's not worse than participating in a boycotting. Being angry and venting on Scoop is a nothing burger, farting in the wind. A boycott publicly embarrasses the program and has potential to damage our next coaching search and will be used as a negative recruiting tool for years to come. Boycott is much much worse.

Moreover, it's unnecessary. The admin is extremely aware of the fanbase's feelings on Wojo and isn't pleased with the results themselves. COVID will save Wojo's job this season whether he wins every remaining game or loses every remaining game. But if we continue to follow the same trajectory we are on now, Wojo will be gone after next season.
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2021, 09:18:46 AM »

Edit: he deleted his post about delusions of importance so no need to respond to the asinine comment.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:23:39 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2021, 09:22:41 AM »
Moreover, it's unnecessary. The admin is extremely aware of the fanbase's feelings on Wojo and isn't pleased with the results themselves. COVID will save Wojo's job this season whether he wins every remaining game or loses every remaining game. But if we continue to follow the same trajectory we are on now, Wojo will be gone after next season.

You would know better than almost how the admins are feeling toward the program. So I'll take your word for it on that front. But that being said, how does a walk out or single game boycott embarrass the program? Can you break down the logic there? It shows there's avid fans who expect better.

Edit: with any protest/strike/boycott is the goal not to call attention to an issue that does embarrass the admin slightly? I mean again I'm not asking the entire MU community to not attend games next year but I think a single game is hardly the blemish you're making it out to be.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:28:10 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2021, 09:27:09 AM »

His bank account isn’t as large as it use to be.

He's also not the billionaire Marquette would expect to help with such things anymore.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2021, 09:35:10 AM »
But that being said, how does a walk out or single game boycott embarrass the program? Can you break down the logic there? It shows there's avid fans who expect better.

Because while those who participate will know its about the coach, the narrative will be that the fans don't support the players or the team. And having fans that expect more isn't exactly something to brag about. Every P6 program has that, even DePaul (they just don't have a lot of them). Having fans that support the team even when they are down is unique and something that would actually be attractive to coaches and recruits.

I know some have this fantasy in their head that the players are all prisoners who stay at Marquette despite Wojo and endure having him as their coach. But most of the players love him. Even if the players didn't take it personally that the fans walked out on them and understood it was all about the coach, they still love the coach and would be hurt by the demonstration.
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2021, 09:44:05 AM »
Because while those who participate will know its about the coach, the narrative will be that the fans don't support the players or the team. And having fans that expect more isn't exactly something to brag about. Every P6 program has that, even DePaul (they just don't have a lot of them). Having fans that support the team even when they are down is unique and something that would actually be attractive to coaches and recruits.

I know some have this fantasy in their head that the players are all prisoners who stay at Marquette despite Wojo and endure having him as their coach. But most of the players love him. Even if the players didn't take it personally that the fans walked out on them and understood it was all about the coach, they still love the coach and would be hurt by the demonstration.

You're right everything points to a lot of his players loving him, despite a lot of transfers.

That being said if they love him that much it wouldn't be expected they'd stay for a new coach anyways. Yes I don't like not supporting the players, and have said that why I'm not advocating a season boycott of any kind. But if the players are here for the coach and won't return for a new hire anyway then I'm not sure that it makes a difference if they're offended or not.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2021, 10:35:06 AM »
If you want the right people to hear your concerns, email the Board of Trustees individually, Lovell, & Scholl.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2021, 10:39:53 AM »
When I say top coaches I don't mean the above. I mean the top reasonable choices.

I think you overestimate coaches' confidence and underestimate the coaching network. The coaching world is a small one and they are hyperaware of the pros and cons of each job. If Marquette fired a coach after the fans threw a temper tantrum in the form of boycotting a game, fair or not, that would be a clear signal to prospective coaches that Marquette doesn't have their coach's back and lets the inmates run the asylum. In recent years we have seen plenty of mid-major coaches turn down P6 jobs. St. John's couldn't land Porter Moser for example. Now Marquette is a better job than most and they would get someone, but firing a coach because of stunt like that would make the pool smaller. And if we move on, we HAVE to get the next hire right. Programs can survive one misfire on the coaching front, consecutive misfires can destroy programs for decades.

It's not worse than participating in a boycotting. Being angry and venting on Scoop is a nothing burger, farting in the wind. A boycott publicly embarrasses the program and has potential to damage our next coaching search and will be used as a negative recruiting tool for years to come. Boycott is much much worse.

I will respectfully agree to disagree on much of this.

The good news is that we'll never know who was "right," as there will be no organized boycott.

Once fans are allowed back in, though, there will be plenty of "Wojo sucks!" And if his team sucks again, he will be fired. What coach would want to come to a school where the fans chant that the coach sucks even though he has led them to 3 NCAA tourneys in 4 years?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2021, 10:55:36 AM »
I will respectfully agree to disagree on much of this.

The good news is that we'll never know who was "right," as there will be no organized boycott.

Once fans are allowed back in, though, there will be plenty of "Wojo sucks!" And if his team sucks again, he will be fired. What coach would want to come to a school where the fans chant that the coach sucks even though he has led them to 3 NCAA tourneys in 4 years?

I think we underestimate the arrogance of coaches. I could see many coaches thinking to themselves that they can do a much better job than Wojo currently is.

Some might be relieved that the tipping point is 6 years of no tournament wins as a pretty long leash for fans.

It’s not like fans are upset with a coach that went to a Sweet Sixteen a few years ago and has a conference title or two. The list of accomplishments is pretty short. It’s not like we are calling for changes due to one bad season. It’s been a pretty underwhelming 7 year stretch.

Scrambled Eggs had a nice discussion and brought up something along the lines of would people even consider MU a top 30 program at the moment. I can’t see how they would based on the last 7 years.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2021, 02:27:32 PM »
I think we underestimate the arrogance of coaches. I could see many coaches thinking to themselves that they can do a much better job than Wojo currently is.

Some might be relieved that the tipping point is 6 years of no tournament wins as a pretty long leash for fans.

It’s not like fans are upset with a coach that went to a Sweet Sixteen a few years ago and has a conference title or two. The list of accomplishments is pretty short. It’s not like we are calling for changes due to one bad season. It’s been a pretty underwhelming 7 year stretch.

Scrambled Eggs had a nice discussion and brought up something along the lines of would people even consider MU a top 30 program at the moment. I can’t see how they would based on the last 7 years.

The bigger issue I have with this coach is inability to recruit some of the Milwaukee talent.  You should have gotten at least 1 kid you would think.  Really liked the
kid from St. Cates and he lost him to Iowa St. that is a team in the dumbs right now.   Is there anybody on MU's radar for next year in the state?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2021, 02:35:06 PM »
The bigger issue I have with this coach is inability to recruit some of the Milwaukee talent.  You should have gotten at least 1 kid you would think.  Really liked the
kid from St. Cates and he lost him to Iowa St. that is a team in the dumbs right now.   Is there anybody on MU's radar for next year in the state?

A kid with a polish last name at St Johns military
Maigh Eo for Sam

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2021, 03:07:56 PM »
Edit: he deleted his post about delusions of importance so no need to respond to the asinine comment.

Well on second thought I figured it was unfair to go there. But maybe it wasn't.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2021, 03:09:18 PM »
You would know better than almost how the admins are feeling toward the program. So I'll take your word for it on that front. But that being said, how does a walk out or single game boycott embarrass the program? Can you break down the logic there? It shows there's avid fans who expect better.

Edit: with any protest/strike/boycott is the goal not to call attention to an issue that does embarrass the admin slightly? I mean again I'm not asking the entire MU community to not attend games next year but I think a single game is hardly the blemish you're making it out to be.

If you think it's such a small deal then why do it? What's the function? Your logic is flawed if you are arguing for it's impact and on the other hand that it is small potatoes.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2021, 03:32:47 PM »
A kid with a polish last name at St Johns military

I know about him, I was thinking the following year who are juniors now?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2021, 03:36:38 PM »
Well on second thought I figured it was unfair to go there. But maybe it wasn't.

Why because I called it an asinine comment? Do you go through life thinking any boycott, strike, protest is worthless and we should just let things happen and people should unconditionally love their company, police, the rule of law, etc etc etc. I don't and it has nothing to do with self importance as you seem to make it out to be.

If you think it's such a small deal then why do it? What's the function? Your logic is flawed if you are arguing for it's impact and on the other hand that it is small potatoes.

I think it would be loud enough to get the point across to people who have insulated themselves from negative feedback and while it would be an embarrassing blemish it would be out of mind in a week. It's not exactly the two gang rapes the 2011 team did.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:43:55 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam