[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Akanno?  (Read 4416 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Akanno?
« on: January 24, 2021, 07:59:10 AM »
There was some thought that he would be an impact player for us.  He's definitely got good bounce and athleticism.  I'm surprised he hasn't found his way into the rotation. 

Our overall guard play, which I thought would be a big strength for us, really hasn't materialized.  Way too many turns, erratic shooting, and inconsistent play. 

The biggest prob as I see it is other than Carton we don't have guys that can make things happen off the dribble.  Passing off the bounce has been a nightmare issue of epic proportions.  We are simply abysmal at this skill-set and ineffective at dribbling the ball to find good looks in the h-court.  It's always one pace, generally hard right, and a lot superfluous, horizontal, wtf, nonsense. 

We don't always have to be in a hurry when we get the rock in positions to score.  Where's the shot fake and patience?  Where's the attacking the rim with ferocity and power?  Where's the movement off the ball to create space?

At this juncture I see a team without much direction or cohesion.  Other than Carton going one on one we have no idea where to get a quality shot during crunch time.  Our overall half-court offense has been a D in my estimation and we also have meltdowns catching the ball and finishing defensive rebs.  The bottom line is this team is undisciplined and exhibit poor fundamentals.

We can bounce back from one poor game but it really stings.  Anyway right now this team is very mediocre and our fundamental probs need to change for any sustained success.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:00:46 AM by MuggsyB »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Akanno?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 08:12:46 AM »
I tend to think he's a sub-200 recruit that needed to redshirt as a freshman because he wasn't ready for this level and likely still isn't. Fans got overly excited due to some off-season highlight tapes. Maybe in 2-3 years he'll be a contributor, but not every guy who's athletic & redshirts becomes Sacar Anim.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 08:14:47 AM »

We can bounce back from one poor game but it really stings.  Anyway right now this team is very mediocre and our fundamental probs need to change for any sustained success.

No we can’t bounce back from one poor game, not to make this season resemble a successful one at all, because it’s the same clown running the circus.

I don’t mean to pick on you Muggsy, but I am really tired of hearing this it’s just one loss crap on this board.

We are in college basketball fan purgatory until this loser gets fired.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 08:34:56 AM »
I didn't mean to imply it is just one loss.  I realize how dire the situation is and how bad our issues are overall.  I'm just thinking of remedies out loud but perhaps we are in Defcon 1 territory. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 09:28:11 AM »
I didn't mean to imply it is just one loss.  I realize how dire the situation is and how bad our issues are overall.  I'm just thinking of remedies out loud but perhaps we are in Defcon 1 territory.

I appreciate that you’re trying to stay an optimist in a total dumpster fire situation.  There’s been a “just one loss” narrative by the usual know nothings who act like they know everything  suspects here too long and I let my frustration go on you.  Sorry.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 09:29:49 AM »
My experience of being a fan of many years is that remedies usually don't lie with the players who aren't playing.  Really what are Dex and Osa going to do?  How are they going to prevent this team from turning the ball over incessantly?  How are they going to make sure that the ball gets to our most talented offensive big man instead of a guy who is severely limited on the block? 

It's the same mistakes over and over.  This season is starting to look like previous ones.  They come out strong, play well for a few games, then other coaches find the weak spots and attack.  And we have no counter.  As 4ever says, there is never any consequence for crappy play.  Elliott is playing good in the second half, and he comes out and DJ jacks a couple of hail mary shots.  My guess is we will see something similar in the next couple of games.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 09:44:36 AM »
Woj played 8 kids yesterday. What do you think is going thru the minds of the others on the team, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 09:49:25 AM »
There was some thought that he would be an impact player for us.  He's definitely got good bounce and athleticism.  I'm surprised he hasn't found his way into the rotation. 

Our overall guard play, which I thought would be a big strength for us, really hasn't materialized.  Way too many turns, erratic shooting, and inconsistent play. 

The biggest prob as I see it is other than Carton we don't have guys that can make things happen off the dribble.  Passing off the bounce has been a nightmare issue of epic proportions.  We are simply abysmal at this skill-set and ineffective at dribbling the ball to find good looks in the h-court.  It's always one pace, generally hard right, and a lot superfluous, horizontal, wtf, nonsense. 

We don't always have to be in a hurry when we get the rock in positions to score.  Where's the shot fake and patience?  Where's the attacking the rim with ferocity and power?  Where's the movement off the ball to create space?

At this juncture I see a team without much direction or cohesion.  Other than Carton going one on one we have no idea where to get a quality shot during crunch time.  Our overall half-court offense has been a D in my estimation and we also have meltdowns catching the ball and finishing defensive rebs.  The bottom line is this team is undisciplined and exhibit poor fundamentals.

Cain always makes something happen when he dribbles, called turnover.  Trying to figure out in 4 years how they could not get him to bend his knees and get lower to the ground, basic fundamentals.  Now thats poor coaching.
ground. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 09:54:38 AM »
Cain always makes something happen when he dribbles, called turnover.  Trying to figure out in 4 years how they could not get him to bend his knees and get lower to the ground, basic fundamentals.  Now thats poor coaching.
ground.

Kelvin Sampson had probably the best coaching quote I’ve had all year when a reporter asked him if he encouraged player x to “shoot out of his slump”

The crux of his repose was “Why would I encourage a bad shooter to keep shooting?”

Coaching at its core is understanding/accentuating your players strengths and weaknesses to make the team better.

I have a hard time seeing Wojo understand this.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 11:43:42 AM »
People  who thought Dex was going to be an impact player are the same people who watch the mix tapes of recruits and think they're all lotto picks

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 11:48:34 AM »
I appreciate that you’re trying to stay an optimist in a total dumpster fire situation.  There’s been a “just one loss” narrative by the usual know nothings who act like they know everything  suspects here too long and I let my frustration go on you.  Sorry.

No worries at all.  The sad truth is right now we are nowhere near where we need to be if we want to field a competitive NCAA tournament team.  These are the facts of the case and they are undisputed. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 11:59:35 AM »
Nice A Few Good Men reference. 

Looking forward to baseball season now.  That loss was a dagger to any NCAA tournament hopes. 

I believe there is enough talent on this team to make a field of 68.  Not doing so is a huge indictment on our coach. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 12:04:32 PM »
Nice A Few Good Men reference. 

Looking forward to baseball season now.  That loss was a dagger to any NCAA tournament hopes. 

I believe there is enough talent on this team to make a field of 68.  Not doing so is a huge indictment on our coach.

This is pretty much where I'm at Shooter.  This team looks totally disorganized and void of leadership from my perspective.  There are some good pieces but the cohesion isn't there. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 12:29:15 PM »
I have been  on many college campuses from Princeton and Northwestern to St. Lawrence and St. Johns.  From Hampshire College to George Washington and M.I.T. and have never seen anything like Blaire Academy in Blairstown N.J..
Over the top, super eliete, one half doesn't know how the other half lives.
So what?
That is where Mr. Akanno went to prep for Marquette.  Good for him, moving on up, I'm all for that.
He would have done better playing in Newark, Brooklyn, Chicago or Philadelphia.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:01:43 PM by vogue65 »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 04:37:55 PM »
I have been  on many college campuses from Princeton and Northwestern to St. Lawrence and St. Johns.  From Hampshire College to George Washington and M.I.T. and have never seen anything like Blaire Academy in Blairstown N.J..
Over the top, super eliete, one half doesn't know how the other half lives.
So what?
That is where Mr. Akanno went to prep for Marquette.  Good for him, moving on up, I'm all for that.
He would have done better playing in Newark, Brooklyn, Chicago or Philadelphia.

Yea, it totally hurt Luol Deng and Charlie Villenueva.  Or their rival schools like produced players like Joakim Noah and other professional athletes.

Kids from California don’t go to play at inner city schools in the Midwest/Northeast to improve their game. I can assure you whatever issues Akanno is having adjusting to top tier D1 basketball isn’t because his prep school was too posh.  And it was a 5th prep year, what great basketball prep school in those gritty basketball areas you cite allow a 5th year in between HS and college?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 06:30:37 PM »
People  who thought Dex was going to be an impact player are the same people who watch the mix tapes of recruits and think they're all lotto picks

I feel attacked

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 06:43:42 PM »
Yea, it totally hurt Luol Deng and Charlie Villenueva.  Or their rival schools like produced players like Joakim Noah and other professional athletes.

Kids from California don’t go to play at inner city schools in the Midwest/Northeast to improve their game. I can assure you whatever issues Akanno is having adjusting to top tier D1 basketball isn’t because his prep school was too posh.  And it was a 5th prep year, what great basketball prep school in those gritty basketball areas you cite allow a 5th year in between HS and college?

You win, I quit.

panda

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 06:52:26 PM »
You win, I quit.

Don’t you mean quite?

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2021, 07:28:16 PM »
Woj played 8 kids yesterday. What do you think is going thru the minds of the others on the team, hey?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 09:32:37 PM »
Will he see more time?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2021, 09:41:08 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:46:19 PM by Johnny B »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2021, 09:46:06 PM »
Will he see more time?
Are u high or wasted? dont care jw

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2021, 11:58:58 PM »
The 8 guys playing are not very good and I am sitting on the bench not playing.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 09:19:05 AM »
More schollies ta give out dis Spring, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"