[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: It's only a game  (Read 4445 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
It's only a game
« on: January 24, 2021, 01:19:21 AM »
There was a time I'd have been screaming and freaking out, once after a Depaul loss (2010) I punched a concrete wall and broke my hand. But hey it's only a game, wash it down with some whiskey, enjoy seeing MU on TV. I want Wojo gone as much as the next guy but b*tching at each other or at players who are trying to rep the school we all called home like they do now isn't cool.

Be mad or be apathetic, hate Wojo, hate Lovell, hate the AD, hate buzz etc etc but keep it classy people no tagging on Twitter, no engaging with parents. What's that going to accomplish except alienate one of the three bright spots on the squad that could make next year potentially good (by Wojo standards)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:21:04 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Johnny B

• All American
Re: It's only a game
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 01:23:07 AM »
Weirdo eh

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 01:23:21 AM »
Galway

I agree.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 01:33:25 AM »
There was a time I'd have been screaming and freaking out, once after a Depaul loss (2010) I punched a concrete wall and broke my hand. But hey it's only a game, wash it down with some whiskey, enjoy seeing MU on TV. I want Wojo gone as much as the next guy but b*tching at each other or at players who are trying to rep the school we all called home like they do now isn't cool.

Be mad or be apathetic, hate Wojo, hate Lovell, hate the AD, hate buzz etc etc but keep it classy people no tagging on Twitter, no engaging with parents. What's that going to accomplish except alienate one of the three bright spots on the squad that could make next year potentially good (by Wojo standards)

Hand braking worthy though:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZyzjDO6jo

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 05:39:18 AM »

Thanks for the lecture, Dad, but losing to a bad team like DePaul is unacceptable  so lose the scolding. Wojo-Dukiet needs to go elsewhere.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 05:49:08 AM »
Lol he literally is just asking people to be decent human beings and that’s a bridge to far?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 06:23:32 AM »
but keep it classy people no tagging on Twitter, no engaging with parents.

Is this in reference to the Phil McGowan tweet? He didn't tag anyone. Jennifer Carton must've searched her son's name and went after him. Then Mark Anglavar piled on.

This isn't a fan issue. The tweet was relatively innocuous & now multiple accounts associated with Marquette basketball are going after a fan? That's a terrible look for the athletic department, even if they aren't employees.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 06:41:43 AM »
Is this in reference to the Phil McGowan tweet? He didn't tag anyone. Jennifer Carton must've searched her son's name and went after him. Then Mark Anglavar piled on.

This isn't a fan issue. The tweet was relatively innocuous & now multiple accounts associated with Marquette basketball are going after a fan? That's a terrible look for the athletic department, even if they aren't employees.

Anglavar needs to be better than that.  A former player calling a fan a "clown" and telling people to blast him is beyond the pale.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 08:03:53 AM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior97

• All American
  • Team Whiny Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 08:31:28 AM »
sighhhhhh  :'(
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 09:02:29 AM »
We are getting more upset at people “attacking” a person on Twitter than we are getting upset that there are people tagging players and saying they’re trash and now understand why OSU “dumped his ass.”

And some of these people are the same people who say that people that offensive things/terms/phrases don’t apply to when discussing racial issues don’t get to decide whether those things are offensive of hurtful or not.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 09:15:47 AM »
Also, having now seen the other tweet, I agree. No reason to tag players. But it's also problematic that the athletic department doesn't keep parents from going after fans uninvited
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 09:41:25 AM »
Checked willies post because I was curious. I now remember why I blocked him months ago.
Maigh Eo for Sam

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 10:08:19 AM »
We are getting more upset at people “attacking” a person on Twitter than we are getting upset that there are people tagging players and saying they’re trash and now understand why OSU “dumped his ass.”

And some of these people are the same people who say that people that offensive things/terms/phrases don’t apply to when discussing racial issues don’t get to decide whether those things are offensive of hurtful or not.
Twitter is a cesspool beneath the gutter

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 10:25:15 AM »
Having played intramural BB at MU
I realize these young men are playing as best they can but with no help from the HC. They look like a rudderless ship on the court

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 08:42:32 PM »
Checked willies post because I was curious. I now remember why I blocked him months ago.
Because of your Wojo worship?

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 09:10:13 PM »
Hand braking worthy though:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZyzjDO6jo

I drove to Chicago to see that one.  White-knuckled it home to MKE in an ice storm.  As next-level sh***y goes, that night ranks right up there.

It would be nice to be consistently good enough again that a loss like that one came as a shock.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 09:19:56 PM »
Once flipped over a coffee table not realizing there was a lit candle on it. I  threw a bar stool and got tossed from a NYC bar (Stanford). Skipped out on a friend’s 30th b-day party because I was so despondent over the Washington game and ended up lying on a front stoop in Manhattan after wandering around for hours. Those days are well behind. As a regular at a bar I used to frequent said: “It’s not your wife, it’s not your life. It’s just a game.”
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 03:59:23 AM »
In the same boat as many, used to get worked up over a loss and let it effect my attituted for awhile. Now the constant mediocracy makes me not really care if we win or lose since I know we won't be winning anything anytime soon. Maybe some day if we are competing in big games and in the conferecne title/deep tournament run the pasison will come back but for now it is what it is and move on.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 05:41:20 AM »
The last time I threw stuff at the TV was during the Deane era.   I realized I was an adult now, nobody was impressed, and I had to pay to repair my tantrum.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 08:00:59 AM »
In 2000 I was agonizing as my White Sox were losing their big AL Central lead. I was even listening to Cleveland games on the radio, I was so stressed.
Then that Russian submarine the Kursk tragically sank, and all I could think about were the poor men aboard. I decided at that time that never again would I let a sport or a game have that control over my life.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 08:33:45 AM »
The last time I threw stuff at the TV was during the Deane era.   I realized I was an adult now, nobody was impressed, and I had to pay to repair my tantrum.

Did you install a seat belt on your sofa?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 08:39:07 AM »
Nah.  I separated my self image from what young men representing the university I attended decades ago were doing on the basketball court.    I quit taking losses personally.

Now, I did cry when MU made the final four. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • Team Whiny Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 09:38:47 AM »
The Packers losing in another Post-Season gut punch made me forget all about the Basketball game on Saturday night....

I don't throw anything other than 4-letter words so it is all good watching and listening to games.

Hoping for better days ahead on the sports front for MUBB
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 09:45:23 AM »
Nah.  I separated my self image from what young men representing the university I attended decades ago were doing on the basketball court.    I quit taking losses personally.

Now, I did cry when MU made the final four.

I’ve definitely celebrated. Yes, tears when we went to the Final Four and when PTFC won the MLS Cup. Screaming like an idiot when Lillard hit the series winner against OKC. Sports should make us happy.  If the Lions even go to the Super Bowl, well, I haven’t let myself think about that since it will never happen....
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”