[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer Waiver Opportunity? Demotion? What to do with Wojo?  (Read 1790 times)

1SE

• All American
Transfer Waiver Opportunity? Demotion? What to do with Wojo?
« on: January 24, 2021, 02:50:16 AM »
The G'town and SJU pied piper came to call. Losing at home, after a week to prepare, in a game you need to not lose if you want to make the NCAA. I can't think of a worse loss in Wojo's tenure.

So what could you do?

1) Even though the vote has been delayed it looks like the transfer-waiver will go through. In a lot of ways this gives a unique window of opportunity - a new coach could bring guys in that could play right away. Sure it makes it more likely that some of our guys will transfer, but I can't imagine that, given the wavier opportunity, some of them might not do that anyway even if Wojo stays. I doubt this is what Symir thought he was going to be doing at MU. I'm sure Lewis and Garcia weren't looking to play for an NIT team. The rule might not apply to DJ, but maybe he gets another waiver given everything. Give Killings the keys, see what we can do in the meantime (I don't expect much), and start the search... but the buyout...

2) I saw something on Twitter that is equally far-fetched, but kind of interesting. What if MU created some new position "Chief Basketball Officer" to whom the HC reports and whose duties "may include" "oversight of in-game coaching". Effectively, demote Wojo to assistant. Sure you're paying two HC salaries, but at least you're not paying a buyout. If Wojo has any honor, he'd either resign or, alternatively, keep doing his job (i.e. what the CBO asks of him) as well as he could (which might include recruiting, skills/position coaching, whatever else he might be good at). He'd be the world's highest paid assistant, but at least you'd be getting some return on the investment. Of course probably not a lot of HC candidates that would be willing to come into that kind of situation.

Of course neither is going to happen, but it seems spectualing about impossible futures is about all there is left to do with MUBB....

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:02:32 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Transfer Waiver Opportunity? Demotion? What to do with Wojo?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 04:29:49 AM »
Find some rich Alum who wants to watch good basketball again.
- or -
Set up a scoop NOJOE gofundme buyout account!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 06:12:46 PM »
The G'town and SJU pied piper came to call. Losing at home, after a week to prepare, in a game you need to not lose if you want to make the NCAA. I can't think of a worse loss in Wojo's tenure.

So what could you do?

1) Even though the vote has been delayed it looks like the transfer-waiver will go through. In a lot of ways this gives a unique window of opportunity - a new coach could bring guys in that could play right away. Sure it makes it more likely that some of our guys will transfer, but I can't imagine that, given the wavier opportunity, some of them might not do that anyway even if Wojo stays. I doubt this is what Symir thought he was going to be doing at MU. I'm sure Lewis and Garcia weren't looking to play for an NIT team. The rule might not apply to DJ, but maybe he gets another waiver given everything. Give Killings the keys, see what we can do in the meantime (I don't expect much), and start the search... but the buyout...

2) I saw something on Twitter that is equally far-fetched, but kind of interesting. What if MU created some new position "Chief Basketball Officer" to whom the HC reports and whose duties "may include" "oversight of in-game coaching". Effectively, demote Wojo to assistant. Sure you're paying two HC salaries, but at least you're not paying a buyout. If Wojo has any honor, he'd either resign or, alternatively, keep doing his job (i.e. what the CBO asks of him) as well as he could (which might include recruiting, skills/position coaching, whatever else he might be good at). He'd be the world's highest paid assistant, but at least you'd be getting some return on the investment. Of course probably not a lot of HC candidates that would be willing to come into that kind of situation.

Of course neither is going to happen, but it seems spectualing about impossible futures is about all there is left to do with MUBB....

Why create a new (CBO) position?

Why not have an option where Killings is simply promoted?

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 08:14:16 PM »
Sounds like desperate crisis options.  Looks like a train wreck is coming.  Just pick the lucky engineer.

feedback