[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It's only a game  (Read 4496 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: It's only a game
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 09:53:53 AM »
Nah.  I separated my self image from what young men representing the university I attended decades ago were doing on the basketball court.    I quit taking losses personally.

Now, I did cry when MU made the final four.

I think this is the best mentality, if it's good enjoy it and savor it. But if it's bad, and you can't do anything about it at the moment (in case anyone knows a BOT member here), then why let it ruin your life? We've only got one after all.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 10:20:44 AM »
Growing up with the Lions has made realize that losing is part of a sports Fan's life.  And the Tigers.  And Marquette.   Your team loses.  As a fan, I have zero control over the competition.  Merely my reaction.

Coaching made me realize that a coach can't swing the bat or shoot the basketball.   Do your best, hope for the best, next.    What can be learned, what can be improved, what can be practiced.   But the most perfect plan still has to executed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 10:26:44 AM »
Dodd’s head may be exploding with all the excuse making justifications he has to come up with for Marquette crapping the bed to DePaul and the Packers losing in yet another NFC Championship game they should have won, to boot with some major coaching screws ups. 

Boone

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2021, 11:09:03 AM »
if there's anything good that came out of the DePaul game it's been apologist dodds' credibility take yet another hit as he reaches deep into his bag of excuses. What a clown

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2021, 11:46:53 AM »
I propose a re-title of this thread to "which stage of grief about MUBB are you on?"

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2021, 12:08:44 PM »
In 2000 I was agonizing as my White Sox were losing their big AL Central lead. I was even listening to Cleveland games on the radio, I was so stressed.
Then that Russian submarine the Kursk tragically sank, and all I could think about were the poor men aboard. I decided at that time that never again would I let a sport or a game have that control over my life.

It will be fun to agonize about the White Sox again.  Should be a nice few years of relevance coming. 

Can’t wait to agonize over Marquette again.   MU has been through this before and will get through it again.  The next hire has to be a home run though.  If not Georgetown and gulp, DePaul come to mind.  The slow decline of a relevant program has been painful.   I have truly been optimistic about the possibilities of the program under Wojo based on seemingly good recruiting and player acquisitions via transfer (eg Carton) and was giving it til the end of this year to join the apathy club.  But, the DePaul game was the death knell for the season.  I have come to realize what many on here realized long ago.  No matter how many recruiting wins we have if you don’t have a coach it doesn’t matter (I do realize that many think our recruiting hasn’t been good enough either).

I will still watch every game but without much anticipation or emotion.  Nothing great is coming out of this.  It is certainly not an indictment of the players.  They are fine young men who are giving it their all.  If I could I would still go to a Senior day to thank them.  But barring a miracle we already know the ending to this story and when you know the ending, what’s there to be excited about?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2021, 06:55:39 PM »
Growing up with the Lions has made realize that losing is part of a sports Fan's life.  And the Tigers.  And Marquette.   Your team loses.  As a fan, I have zero control over the competition.  Merely my reaction.

Coaching made me realize that a coach can't swing the bat or shoot the basketball.   Do your best, hope for the best, next.    What can be learned, what can be improved, what can be practiced.   But the most perfect plan still has to executed.
Moral of this post: losing is acceptable, we must keep Wojo-Dukiet at all costs.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2021, 07:47:54 PM »
Thanks, pookie.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback