[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This team lacks leadership and poise  (Read 4593 times)

franklinjerry

• Starter
Re: This team lacks leadership and poise
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2021, 06:04:55 PM »
The only significance of the Creighton and Wisconsin games are how those two teams will be affected by losing to a Q3 or Q4 team in Marquette. Our only path to the tournament would be to have 15 or so teams unable to participate due to Covid, and that's not out of the question!

Boone

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2021, 06:06:58 PM »
Add coaching to that header. And yet there are dumba$$ posters among us who are still on the fence about whether Wojo should be canned or not

nyg

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2021, 06:12:28 PM »
Tell us why you disagree.

I don't disagree, but I will say watch what you wish for.  If you believe that the entire team and coach is departing that's your belief/opinion and you make it known on a continuous basis, mainly when there is a game and many posters are online to hear you.  No issue with that, that's sport talk. My point in this thread is what the roster consists of today and the possible projection of the bench next year.

Heck, Georgetown lost McClung, Akingo, LeBlanc and like four others.  Thank goodness they were left with Blair, Pinkett and Wahob, or they might not have won one game in the BE.  They would be worse then Depaul or even UMBC.  Well, Blair and Pinkett are gone next year and even with a top 20 recruit coming in they are going to be terrible for years.  So, let Wojo go or can him, let the players you say leave, just like Georgetown so you can start from scratch.  You have alot of posters who agree with you.  Then my speculation  starters are Akanno, Torrence, Oso, Elliott and Perez.  Freshmen Mitchell and Jones the bench.  After season discussion will be here in a month and a half when we know who is actually going to be around.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2021, 06:19:54 PM »
The bench today contributed exactly 3 fouls to the cause. My contention, and has been throughout, is the talent on this team, top to bottom, has been grossly overrated. Also, a new coach may just, in fact, bring some talent with him, especially this off season. So, as I mentioned, the composition of next year's squad is a total unknown at this point, but it wouldn't stop me from making a coaching change, and not to anyone currently on Woj's staff, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2021, 06:21:28 PM »
We weren't. If the tourney starts 9 days ago, there's a very good chance we would've been in.

I know it's easy to embrace negativity, but those wins over Creighton and Wisconsin are incredibly valuable if we can get on the bubble. Almost no one there can match our top tier wins.

We may have been in the tournament, but we weren't a "tournament team", if you know what I mean.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2021, 06:23:39 PM »
Is this officially rock bottom?  How many more wins if any do you expect?

Yeah, we are close to the bottom. I think we win 1 of the last 4 games.

I have been very hesitant over the last 2-3 year to say it is time for Wojo to go. But the last month or so has finally gotten me to accept that we need a change.

panda

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2021, 06:24:44 PM »
The bench today contributed exactly 3 fouls to the cause. My contention, and has been throughout, is the talent on this team, top to bottom, has been grossly overrated. Also, a new coach may just, in fact, bring some talent with him, especially this off season. So, as I mentioned, the composition of next year's squad is a total unknown at this point, but it wouldn't stop me from making a coaching change, and not to anyone currently on Woj's staff, hey?

A lot has been made of wojos recruiting but frankly it’s just not a comprehensive effort.

Year in year out, his staff sells out to get the home run signing (great!) but really never fills out his classes with ancillary talent. Ever year we’re left with grossly unbalanced rosters which expose us one way or another and limit our ceiling.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2021, 06:32:24 PM »

Ok, we agree on the bench issue, just as I documented earlier in the thread.  No one there except Lewis and no development of the others as I noted.  Just a bad situation.  As far as the coach, I'll worry about that after/if it happens, but I don't want Garcia to Minnesota, Lewis to Maryland, Carton to Asian League, Aidoo/Mitchell decommitting, leaving the roster bare.  Maybe that Moser guy can bring in some Loyola players, or the Drake coach bring some of his, etc.....  We will find out soon Doc. 

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2021, 06:34:58 PM »
We weren't. If the tourney starts 9 days ago, there's a very good chance we would've been in.

I know it's easy to embrace negativity, but those wins over Creighton and Wisconsin are incredibly valuable if we can get on the bubble. Almost no one there can match our top tier wins.

Are they really that valuable anymore, though?  Creighton hasn't beaten anybody this year and the Badgers lost to Penn State yesterday.  Those teams could both be out of the Top 25 by season's end.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2021, 06:47:17 PM »
Yeah, we are close to the bottom. I think we win 1 of the last 4 games.

I have been very hesitant over the last 2-3 year to say it is time for Wojo to go. But the last month or so has finally gotten me to accept that we need a change.

I think the last few games have gotten to everyone.  Ty for your honesty Jockey.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2021, 06:47:30 PM »
Time to recruit a junkyard dog to take over in crunch time    Pls forward picture of scars and tattoos to Scoop

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2021, 07:01:18 PM »
I'm tired of hearing about how athletic these guys are. Yeah, they can run and jump. But in terms of making basketball plays they're slow as hell.

Buzz said he wanted guys who can pass, dribble, and shoot. Who on this team can do all three? Garcia, maybe? Jamal, who was sold as a great athlete, still dribbles like an eighth grader. Koby can't execute a ball fake and drive half the time.

It's ugly-ass basketball and I'm sick of watching it.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2021, 07:40:27 PM »
Ok, we agree on the bench issue, just as I documented earlier in the thread.  No one there except Lewis and no development of the others as I noted.  Just a bad situation.  As far as the coach, I'll worry about that after/if it happens, but I don't want Garcia to Minnesota, Lewis to Maryland, Carton to Asian League, Aidoo/Mitchell decommitting, leaving the roster bare.  Maybe that Moser guy can bring in some Loyola players, or the Drake coach bring some of his, etc.....  We will find out soon Doc.

My rub with this line of thinking is that all schools basically have to keep their current coach forever. Or until the coach leaves on his own. It's not like Marquette would be setting some new precedent by letting go of an underperforming coach. Sure, it's a tough band aid to pull off, but it's not an impossible situation to overcome.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2021, 09:29:08 PM »
Are they really that valuable anymore, though?  Creighton hasn't beaten anybody this year and the Badgers lost to Penn State yesterday.  Those teams could both be out of the Top 25 by season's end.

The Top 25 is meaningless. Creighton is a Q1A win, Wisconsin is barely outside Q1A (17, cutoff is 15).

Look at my latest Cracked Sidewalks article. I looked at the resumes of 20 teams on the bubble, 8 that are in, 12 that are out. Of those 20 teams, only Maryland has top-of-the-resume wins that compare to the ones Marquette has. Hell, 12 of the teams don't even have 2 Q1 wins period, much less wins of the quality Marquette has.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2021/01/wins-losses-on-bubble.html

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2021, 09:33:34 PM »
In this month alone, this team has been down by nearly 15 points in games to all three of Georgetown, DePaul, and StJohns...

That’s not a well coached team, that’s not a tournament worthy team.

On paper the talent is there, on the court it hasn’t been good enough.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2021, 09:35:38 PM »
I have said this many times.

Wojo cannot game plan.  He cannot make in game adjustments.  And I cannot remember more than one or two players who showed significant development under Wojo during their time at MU.

That said, there is a lot of talent on this team.  It is just being horribly under exploited.

No coherent offensive strategy, unless chucking up shots as the clock winds down counts as strategy.

And someone please tell me what our core defensive beliefs are because I sure cannot figure it out.

The problems with this team would largely be corrected by a coaching change.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 09:38:19 PM by f/k/a humanlung »

panda

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2021, 09:45:36 PM »
I have said this many times.

Wojo cannot game plan.  He cannot make in game adjustments.  And I cannot remember more than one or two players who showed significant development under Wojo during their time at MU.

That said, there is a lot of talent on this team.  It is just being horribly under exploited.

No coherent offensive strategy, unless chucking up shots as the clock winds down counts as strategy.

And someone please tell me what our core defensive beliefs are because I sure cannot figure it out.

The problems with this team would largely be corrected by a coaching change.

Ohio state DJ vs MU DJ are two totally different players.

We saw OSU DJ for about 4 and a half minutes today and spurts throughout the season. For the most part, he’s been playing with handcuffs this season as Wojo tells him to stop trying to push tempo from the sidelines.

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2021, 01:50:00 AM »
Of course you do

AlphaBanguara

• Walk-On
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2021, 03:35:02 AM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2021, 07:35:23 AM »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.