collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182517 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #1850 on: September 19, 2021, 06:22:19 PM »
What happened to the guy?  He was a pretty good hitter.

Same thin' dat happens ta golf swings. Sumthin' gets fooked up, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1851 on: September 19, 2021, 08:21:00 PM »
JBJ is one of the worst hitters and one of the best defenders in the game.  Saw an article the other day about his advanced stats, but can't find it now.  Basically his defense makes up for his ass offense.

Like others said, he'll only be a defensive replacement in the playoffs.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1852 on: September 19, 2021, 08:24:22 PM »

Same thin' dat happens ta golf swings. Sumthin' gets fooked up, aina?

Ha!!  Fair enough.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1853 on: September 19, 2021, 09:57:29 PM »
JBJ was the ALCS MVP 3 years ago. I think the moment is more likely to be too big for Jayce or Tyrone pinch hitting than it is for JBJ as a defensive replacement.

I’m not certain JBJ should make the Playoff roster. But he definitely brings value.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1854 on: September 19, 2021, 10:08:24 PM »
The Redbird Rises.

Left for dead and light years away from a lowly wild card position in the playoffs, he's suddenly coming to life. Now 3.5 games ahead of Cincinnati for the last playoff spot and winner of eight in a row. What they did to the Padres this weekend was amazing (and what the Padres did to themselves was equally amazing). They're getting timely hitting, decent starting pitching and the bullpen is a push rather than being a band of arsonists.

Jack Flaherty is traveling with the team and in Milwaukee this week to do a bullpen session.

Thank God for Adam Wainwright!!!!

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1855 on: September 19, 2021, 11:08:45 PM »
The Redbird Rises.

Left for dead and light years away from a lowly wild card position in the playoffs, he's suddenly coming to life. Now 3.5 games ahead of Cincinnati for the last playoff spot and winner of eight in a row. What they did to the Padres this weekend was amazing (and what the Padres did to themselves was equally amazing). They're getting timely hitting, decent starting pitching and the bullpen is a push rather than being a band of arsonists.

Jack Flaherty is traveling with the team and in Milwaukee this week to do a bullpen session.

Best of luck in a one game playoff if the current standings hold against Scherzer, who has an era under one since joining LA. Although I would be rooting for your Cards to knock them out.  LA worries me more than any team for the Brewers to get past.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 11:13:59 PM by HutchwasClutch »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1856 on: September 20, 2021, 08:12:51 AM »
Best of luck in a one game playoff if the current standings hold against Scherzer, who has an era under one since joining LA. Although I would be rooting for your Cards to knock them out.  LA worries me more than any team for the Brewers to get past.

In the not-so-olden days, when there were only 4 playoff teams in each league, the Dodgers and Giants would have both been guaranteed playoff spots; while each would have still liked to win the division in that scenario, they wouldn't have gone all-out to do so as they are now.

The Brewers will benefit (theoretically, at least) from neither team being able to rest its players and set up a postseason rotation yet, and especially from one having to burn its No. 1 starter in the play-in game. And that's even if the Dodgers, who probably are the best team in baseball, survive the play-in game. Anything can happen in a 1-game playoff.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1857 on: September 20, 2021, 12:47:22 PM »

Wainwright has been smoking the league all year, so I suspect St. Louis probably could hold its own for six innings. The problem, Brother Hutch, is the bullpen. Damn arsonists ought to be arrested and sent down to Memphis, though Reyes seems to be stabilized as of late.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1858 on: September 20, 2021, 01:05:35 PM »
The Redbird Rises.

Hah, congrats (maybe).  I too wrote them off at the trade deadline.  And they have risen - or more accurately the other playoff contenders have sunk since the deadline.  Nonetheless they result is (may be...) the same.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1859 on: September 20, 2021, 01:27:37 PM »
The Redbird Rises.

Look who is back on the thread!!!!!   :o

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1860 on: September 20, 2021, 01:46:46 PM »
Hah, congrats (maybe).  I too wrote them off at the trade deadline.  And they have risen - or more accurately the other playoff contenders have sunk since the deadline. Nonetheless they result is (may be...) the same.

This is stupid.  The Cards are 12-5 in September, all against playoff contenders. 

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 01:48:26 PM by buckchuckler »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1861 on: September 20, 2021, 01:59:09 PM »
Look who is back on the thread!!!!!   :o

If you ever heard the old theme song to the Mr. Ed show...

"... But Mr. Ed will never speak unless he has something to say..."

I finally have something worth talking about. And Glow, your Brewers better watch out. The Cardinals are coming!!!!!!!

Other good news is Dakota Hudson is pitching in Memphis as part of a rehab assignment. If he comes back and Flaherty looks good, the Cardinals will have pitching coming out of their pitching.

It's time to do a little Bear hunting and to prove better baseball, like better beer, comes from St. Louis!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1862 on: September 20, 2021, 02:06:34 PM »
I think the Brewers are okay with their own pitching staff.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1863 on: September 20, 2021, 02:27:44 PM »
This is stupid.  The Cards are 12-5 in September, all against playoff contenders.

Indeed, Facts are stupid:
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1439918973789876233

"The Padres had a .574 winning pct. through August 10.  That projects to 92.9 wins over a full 162-game schedule. Since August 11, SD has played .294 baseball (10-24).  That would project to 47.6 wins (or about 114-115 losses) over a full 162-game season."

edit: oh, and the Mets aren't playoff contenders.  so make that 9-5
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 02:34:40 PM by rocky_warrior »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1864 on: September 20, 2021, 02:42:24 PM »
#1 The Cardinals have had an impressive turnaround to earn their playoff spot.

#2 The Padres have had a spectacular freefall to lose their playoff spot.

#3 The Cardinals would not be in the driver's seat for a playoff spot if either #1 or #2 did not happen.

All three things are true
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1865 on: September 20, 2021, 02:48:37 PM »
#1 The Cardinals have had an impressive turnaround to earn their playoff spot.

#2 The Padres have had a spectacular freefall to lose their playoff spot.

#3 The Cardinals would not be in the driver's seat for a playoff spot if either #1 or #2 did not happen.

All three things are true

Cardinals blow
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1866 on: September 20, 2021, 02:54:04 PM »
Cardinals blow

All four things can be true
TAMU

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1867 on: September 20, 2021, 03:05:28 PM »
Indeed, Facts are stupid:
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1439918973789876233

"The Padres had a .574 winning pct. through August 10.  That projects to 92.9 wins over a full 162-game schedule. Since August 11, SD has played .294 baseball (10-24).  That would project to 47.6 wins (or about 114-115 losses) over a full 162-game season."

edit: oh, and the Mets aren't playoff contenders.  so make that 9-5

Padres haven't had a winning month since June.  Their collapse has been happening for a long time.  Their pitching is bad.

The Cards have stepped up pretty seriously.   The other teams have fallen off as well.  But to try to say they haven't taken control of their own fate is petty and stupid.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 03:27:56 PM by buckchuckler »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1868 on: September 20, 2021, 04:28:27 PM »
All four things can be true

The Cardinal Way

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1869 on: September 20, 2021, 04:46:31 PM »
Padres haven't had a winning month since June.  Their collapse has been happening for a long time.  Their pitching is bad.

The Cards have stepped up pretty seriously.   The other teams have fallen off as well.  But to try to say they haven't taken control of their own fate is petty and stupid.

I guess you should read my original words again, and try not to fly off the handle then:

Hah, congrats (maybe).  I too wrote them off at the trade deadline.  And they have risen - or more accurately the other playoff contenders have sunk since the deadline.  Nonetheless the result is (may be...) the same.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 04:49:27 PM by rocky_warrior »

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #1870 on: September 20, 2021, 08:40:35 PM »
Basically his defense makes up for his ass offense.
If that’s the case, he owes a home run fir the ass throw he just had allowing Carpenter to score.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1871 on: September 21, 2021, 07:12:59 AM »
If that’s the case, he owes a home run fir the ass throw he just had allowing Carpenter to score.

You're right.  One bad defensive play in an entire season makes him a poor defensive player.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1872 on: September 23, 2021, 01:48:20 PM »
JBJ is one of the worst hitters and one of the best defenders in the game.  Saw an article the other day about his advanced stats, but can't find it now.  Basically his defense makes up for his ass offense.

Like others said, he'll only be a defensive replacement in the playoffs.

His defense doesn't come close to making up for hitting like a pitcher. Cain is able to do the same things. I'd take Taylor on the playoff roster 8 days a week over JBJ. Pinch hitting matters in the playoffs.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1873 on: September 23, 2021, 02:02:54 PM »
His defense doesn't come close to making up for hitting like a pitcher. Cain is able to do the same things. I'd take Taylor on the playoff roster 8 days a week over JBJ. Pinch hitting matters in the playoffs.

He won't be batting in the Playoffs.

And again, he's 3 years removed from winning the ALCS MVP.  He's proven the lights are not too bright.  Tyrone Taylor has 65 career hits.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1874 on: September 23, 2021, 02:27:19 PM »
Taylor certainly making his case for a playoff roster spot today.
TAMU

feedback