[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 181954 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #575 on: May 12, 2021, 10:37:20 AM »
Anyone else as bored as I am with all the strikeouts?

Getting harder and harder to watch games.

Makes me feel a little better about how bad the Brewers offense is. At this point, it’s almost dumb luck when they score more than 2 runs.

Although when your MVP has a back like me and the other key part of your offense must not be carrying a bat to the plate with those strikeout numbers, it makes things tough.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #576 on: May 12, 2021, 11:40:38 AM »
The league-wide AVERAGE strikeout rate is right around 25%.

That's Nolan Ryan / Sandy Koufax territory.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #577 on: May 12, 2021, 07:09:59 PM »
He deserves it if he refused the vaccine.

I still don’t agree with the sentiment that he deserved it. However, you are correct that he didn’t receive the vaccine.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #578 on: May 12, 2021, 10:05:24 PM »
This Twins team just flat out sucks.
Yes. Yes, they do.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #579 on: May 12, 2021, 10:35:23 PM »
I still don’t agree with the sentiment that he deserved it. However, you are correct that he didn’t receive the vaccine.
Im not sure I follow Corbin’s logic:

“Burnes, who indicated that he elected not to get inoculated against COVID-19 “for personal reasons,” said that he felt fortunate that the team got through contact tracing with no further positives. During his absence, the team surpassed 85 percent of its Tier 1 personnel vaccinated.

“It’s great now that the team’s at 85 percent and we can relax a lot of the protocols,” Burnes said. “We’re trying to get back to normal just like everybody else is.”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #580 on: May 13, 2021, 08:50:21 AM »
Im not sure I follow Corbin’s logic:

“Burnes, who indicated that he elected not to get inoculated against COVID-19 “for personal reasons,” said that he felt fortunate that the team got through contact tracing with no further positives. During his absence, the team surpassed 85 percent of its Tier 1 personnel vaccinated.

“It’s great now that the team’s at 85 percent and we can relax a lot of the protocols,” Burnes said. “We’re trying to get back to normal just like everybody else is.”
I think he is saying, "I revel in my dumbassery, but its nice that enough other people did the responsible thing so that I can enjoy life as normal."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #581 on: May 13, 2021, 10:33:56 AM »
I think he's saying, "My immune system is working as it's supposed to.  I was exposed to the virus, tested positive but didn't get sick and now I have natural immunity so we can all enjoy life as normal."
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #582 on: May 13, 2021, 10:36:05 AM »
I think he's saying, "My immune system is working as it's supposed to.  I was exposed to the virus, tested positive but didn't get sick and now I have natural immunity so we can all enjoy life as normal."

He should have been vaccinated.  He STILL should get vaccinated.  It's idiotic positions like his that delays us "all enjoying life as normal."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #583 on: May 13, 2021, 04:28:52 PM »
This doesn't sound like its very good for baseball.  Even less national games.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/05/espn-mlb-deal-fewer-games-expanded-wild-card/
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #584 on: May 13, 2021, 04:35:49 PM »
Another day, another wasted ace performance by the brewers offense.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #585 on: May 13, 2021, 07:59:03 PM »
Another day, another wasted ace performance by the brewers offense.

KKKKKKKKKKK. Doesn't get any more boring than that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #586 on: May 13, 2021, 08:21:53 PM »

The Brewers are boring - Ks aside. Even without 2 of their most exciting young players, the White Sox are kinda fun to watch. Give ‘em a try.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #587 on: May 13, 2021, 08:34:55 PM »
The Brewers are boring - Ks aside. Even without 2 of their most exciting young players, the White Sox are kinda fun to watch. Give ‘em a try.

When it comes to the AL, I already root for the Sox. Wish the Brewers had a stud like Abreu.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #588 on: May 14, 2021, 10:51:48 AM »

When it comes to the AL, I already root for the Sox. Wish the Brewers had a stud like Abreu.

The Sox have had an absolutely amazing run at 1B. Frank Thomas to Paul Konerko to Jose Abreu. 30 good years there.  Hahah. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #589 on: May 14, 2021, 11:04:26 AM »

This thread (https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1391832811775139849) kinda sparked me to reflect a bit. The tldr is essentially, the sport became reactive to data analytics that incentivized pursuing skills, players, and roster composition that emphasized the "three-true-outcome" game. There is an objective value to min-maxing spin rate, launch angle, and accepting Ks over ground balls, but it's not particularly compelling viewing. Essentially, three-true-outcome-uber-alles baseball is boring.

I... can't really disagree? As much fun as it is to watch Burnes-Williams-Hader throw smoke, it really is kinda boring? And, of course, the Brewers offensive assembly is atrocious, so it's not like they're doing any favors to the experience. I'm not sure I have anything to say here other than maybe when all of the organic bits of a game or a piece of art are stripped away in favor of a mercenary pursuit of min-maxed perfection, something about the final product suffers.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #590 on: May 14, 2021, 12:17:17 PM »
I think a compounding factor in the frustrations of Brewer fans, could be that the Brewers strike out more than any other team in the NL.  They also have the lowest BA in the NL.  That's an ugly combination.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #591 on: May 14, 2021, 12:29:10 PM »
Is the Brewers’ hitting coach the same guy as it was last year? Yes part of the problem is you don’t have very good hitters on the roster, but what’s happened to Hiura alone is enough to make me think the hitting coach isn’t very good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #592 on: May 14, 2021, 12:59:38 PM »
Is the Brewers’ hitting coach the same guy as it was last year? Yes part of the problem is you don’t have very good hitters on the roster, but what’s happened to Hiura alone is enough to make me think the hitting coach isn’t very good.

Yea, it’s Andy Haines. If I remember right, he was on his way to being fired from the Cubs due to their struggles to score runs at the end of the year.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #593 on: May 14, 2021, 01:30:23 PM »
This thread (https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1391832811775139849) kinda sparked me to reflect a bit. The tldr is essentially, the sport became reactive to data analytics that incentivized pursuing skills, players, and roster composition that emphasized the "three-true-outcome" game. There is an objective value to min-maxing spin rate, launch angle, and accepting Ks over ground balls, but it's not particularly compelling viewing. Essentially, three-true-outcome-uber-alles baseball is boring.

I... can't really disagree? As much fun as it is to watch Burnes-Williams-Hader throw smoke, it really is kinda boring? And, of course, the Brewers offensive assembly is atrocious, so it's not like they're doing any favors to the experience. I'm not sure I have anything to say here other than maybe when all of the organic bits of a game or a piece of art are stripped away in favor of a mercenary pursuit of min-maxed perfection, something about the final product suffers.

Good stuff Ficke.

We have been lied to be MLB that 3 outcome baseball produces more runs. The real issue is a lack of hitter development. Every coach wants to change the swing plane of hitters. The problem is that the high strike is basically unhittable with a higher swing plane. The Brewers have destroyed Keston Hiura. He was a guy who was expected to compete for batting crowns in his career. They coached him up to be a sub .200 hitter with just a bit more HR pop. Unlike Baex who chases bad pitches, I haven't seen a hitter swing and miss on balls in the zone since Rickie Weeks. The Cubs decided an MVP-caliber player was doing enough so the worked with him to change his swing plane - resulting in a low average / low power version of himself. this winter he worked with his dad to return to his old swing and, viola! ' he is a power hitting MVP candidate again. And don't even get me started on how this has contributed to seemingly endless games.

Of the 6 teams that have hit the most home runs this year, only 1 team is in the top 6 of runs scored. Of the top 6 teams at taking walks, only 2 are in the top 6 for runs scored. Three outcomes indeed.

• All American
« Reply #594 on: May 14, 2021, 01:37:27 PM »
From an entertainment point of view, could the over-regionalization of the game be a problem as well?  I watch the Brewers, and if they stink or are boring, I am really not watching other games.  I don't think I'm the only one.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #595 on: May 14, 2021, 01:42:12 PM »
From an entertainment point of view, could the over-regionalization of the game be a problem as well?  I watch the Brewers, and if they stink or are boring, I am really not watching other games.  I don't think I'm the only one.

Yes, I think that is a big part of it. I do watch other games, but it's mainly because I'm in several Fantasy Leagues.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #596 on: May 14, 2021, 01:54:57 PM »

The only team to win the World Series in the past 5 seasons with a high three true outcome, is the Cubs in 2016. A few were at/near the bottom including the very bottom, Kansas City. Red Sox, A few were in the bottom half, Red Sox, Nationals.

Three true outcomes have perceived path to higher salaries for some, and lower attendance the past decade as well.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #597 on: May 14, 2021, 04:25:31 PM »

The Brewers center field videographer got exposed.

WI_Inferiority_Complexes1

• Walk-On
« Reply #598 on: May 14, 2021, 05:21:59 PM »
MIL had the third-worst OPS in the NL last season, and has the second-worst so far in '21.  The offense has been struggling since Yelich fouled the ball of his kneecap.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #599 on: May 15, 2021, 08:08:16 PM »
Maybe the worst offense I have ever seen.

feedback