[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Top 5 MU players with the highest vert?  (Read 12396 times)

Amal Sh00k Up

• Walk-On
Re: Top 5 MU players with the highest vert?
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2021, 09:05:58 PM »
Shannon Smith anyone?  His claim to fame: stuffed Jordan on a dunk back in the day.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2021, 09:23:57 PM »
Artie Green's leaping ability was off the charts.

Hank used him for the opening tip, and he'd often have Artie line up as the inside rebounder on FTs. Lots of alley-oops, too.

Green was listed at 6-2, BTW.

Rivers could sky, too.

Oh, and I literally laughed out loud at "Ners." Thanks!

Artie's vertical and his shooting range were very similar - about 40".

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2021, 09:38:39 PM »
He flopped in two sports, one could say.

👏👏👏

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2021, 10:30:11 PM »
I believe the highest recorded vert from an NBA player was either Spud Webb or David Thompson .  Both were 48.  Although Earl Mannigult allegedly had a 50 and was called for 3 secs in the air.  However, humans are pretty average on the animal vert scale. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2021, 11:27:29 PM »
He flopped in two sports, one could say.

Bravo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2021, 07:04:53 AM »
I saw a photo of Jerome Whitehead grabbing a rebound over Magic Johnson.  Jerome's feet were waist high on Magic (who is 6'8"?).

Pretty impressive air for a 6'11" man!

romey

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2021, 11:20:41 AM »
I believe the highest recorded vert from an NBA player was either Spud Webb or David Thompson .  Both were 48.  Although Earl Mannigult allegedly had a 50 and was called for 3 secs in the air.  However, humans are pretty average on the animal vert scale.

Good call on Thompson.  I remember the hype (wll desreved) when Warriors played them in the final four.

If this is true (Wilt with a 48" that is incredible)

https://olympic.ca/2021/01/20/where-are-they-now-jayna-hefford/

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2021, 12:16:22 PM »
Legend had it that Artie Green could pick a quarter off of the top of a backboard.  Never saw that stunt, but that cat could really jump outta the gym.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2021, 12:21:10 PM »
Legend had it that Artie Green could pick a quarter off of the top of a backboard.  Never saw that stunt, but that cat could really jump outta the gym.

I recall hearing the same thing about David Thompson.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2021, 12:29:55 PM »
Davante?
Good one. But only with Artie on his shoulders
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2021, 01:44:12 PM »

Al McGuire said this about Chones and McNeil, ie: that they could "...take a quarter off the top of the backboard and leave change."

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2021, 01:53:13 PM »
The standing vertical measurement is basically used to emulate jumping off two feet for a rebound.  The max vertical usually is applied to more of a running dunk or drive to the basket.

any standing vertical over 40" is pretty amazing.   Running max vertical is usually 6-7" higher, and that's where a lot of these 40+ numbers are coming from.

The top of a pro backboard is 13 feet.   Wilt had a standing reach of over 9 feet.   I'd guess with a running start he possibly could have reached the top of the backboard.  Kareem said he tried and never could.  If 6-2 Artie could get up to 13'3" or so he'd need a vertical over 50.  His entire head would need to be above the rim.

The first I guy I heard the grab a quarter off the backboard about was Connie Hawkins.   But his legend was that he could grab a quarter off the top of the backboard and leave change on the way down.

Michael Wilson, although from Memphis he is not the former MU player, played with the Globetrotters and during an event dunked on a 12' rim.  That came from the Chamberlain claim that he dunked on a 12-footer during college.  That hoop was supposedly a leftover from Coach Phog Allen's suggestion to the NCAA to replace the 10' with 12'
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 01:55:10 PM by oldwarrior81 »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2021, 02:26:15 PM »
The standing vertical measurement is basically used to emulate jumping off two feet for a rebound.  The max vertical usually is applied to more of a running dunk or drive to the basket.

any standing vertical over 40" is pretty amazing.   Running max vertical is usually 6-7" higher, and that's where a lot of these 40+ numbers are coming from.

The top of a pro backboard is 13 feet.   Wilt had a standing reach of over 9 feet.   I'd guess with a running start he possibly could have reached the top of the backboard.  Kareem said he tried and never could.  If 6-2 Artie could get up to 13'3" or so he'd need a vertical over 50.  His entire head would need to be above the rim.

The first I guy I heard the grab a quarter off the backboard about was Connie Hawkins.   But his legend was that he could grab a quarter off the top of the backboard and leave change on the way down.

Michael Wilson, although from Memphis he is not the former MU player, played with the Globetrotters and during an event dunked on a 12' rim.  That came from the Chamberlain claim that he dunked on a 12-footer during college.  That hoop was supposedly a leftover from Coach Phog Allen's suggestion to the NCAA to replace the 10' with 12'

There's a Cuban volleyball player - Leonel Marshall, Jr. - who supposedly has a 50' vertical (although I suspect that's running, not standing - or what they call "spike touch" in VB as opposed to "block touch"). He is 6'5" and they say he can touch just shy of 13'.

If you like volleyball - and athleticism -- there are some pretty good videos of  him.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2021, 02:40:35 PM »
This article/video purports to show a documented touch of the top of the backboard by a guy named Kirpatrick "Stretch" McCauley. It also mentions that some of the people rumored to be able to touch the top denied it. Among the NBA players discussed, only Dwight Howard claimed he could do it, but apparently, "When ESPN tried to setup a time to document this miracle with Dwight and the Magic it never happened."

I'm not entirely convinced by the video. It's honestly hard to tell what is going on. On the still photo a little farther down the page, it kind of looks like the bell is hanging a couple inches below the top of the backboard. Also, if that pole isn't plum, that could take some height off the touch. I can't help but wonder why he didn't just touch the top of the backboard instead of that bell.

Updated: Another video of McCauley on a different day shows he's actually touching about 12'9".  A hell of a vertical...but not 13'.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2021, 03:42:48 PM »
Herb Harrison might have gotten the highest.

Zack McCall says hi.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2021, 06:42:57 PM »
Herb Harrison might have gotten the highest.

Talkin' hops here, doe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2021, 06:50:08 PM »

Talkin' hops here, doe, hey?

Hops, grass - they’re all just plants, ai’na?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2021, 07:51:38 PM »
always fun to watch little guys jumpin outta their shoes.  i don't recall when dunking became legal in high school, but prior to that,  hearing that someone could dunk was like urban legend.  every once in a while, during warm ups, the one(s) who could dunk would first look around for the refs, then throw one down. the 70's version of "trash talkin".  freaked the opposing teams out

we had a guy(white)on our team who tried to impress the coach's daughter by dunking a baseball.  he promptly failed and broke the glass backboard.  they did end up getting married a few years later however.  believe it or not, he was one of the best athletes in our school at that time.  my point is, dunking has come a long way. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2021, 09:58:20 PM »

Good info oldwarrior. 

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2021, 09:17:37 AM »
I remember Mbakwe broke his nose on the backboard his senior year of HS, but those knee injuries didn't let us see any of that vert.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2021, 09:23:36 AM »
I remember Mbakwe broke his nose on the backboard his senior year of HS, but those knee injuries didn't let us see any of that vert.

I heard his nose broke the backboard before it even hit.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2021, 09:45:28 AM »
Is there a reason why Wally Ellenson's name has not been called?

This from a 2015 article:

"Ellenson doesn't know his vertical jump, but it has to be impressive. He can touch the backboard 2 feet above the rim and can take off from the free-throw line and dunk, a la Michael Jordan. As a freshman at Minnesota, his teammates called him the "Kangaroo Kid" and the nickname stuck. It's his Twitter handle."
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:51:37 AM by Knight Commission »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2021, 09:49:30 AM »
Is there a reason why Wally Ellenson's name has not been mentioned?

Because we are only talking about basketball players.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2021, 10:13:54 AM »
Is there a reason why Wally Ellenson's name has not been called?

This from a 2015 article:

"Ellenson doesn't know his vertical jump, but it has to be impressive. He can touch the backboard 2 feet above the rim and can take off from the free-throw line and dunk, a la Michael Jordan. As a freshman at Minnesota, his teammates called him the "Kangaroo Kid" and the nickname stuck. It's his Twitter handle."

Mainly because his name has been called by multiple posters.

Wally E must have had a pretty decent one.

Off the top of my head I would have to say wally

Many of us have had some fun talking about Wally. And he wasn’t very good at basketball. But you know what? You’re right. The guy could sky!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Eye

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2021, 10:16:15 AM »
I'd have to do some serious digging to find exactly what he did, but do recall WE doing some things in a HS game of his I covered that I declared I thought he'd be a future dunk contest winner someday.
GO WARRIORS!

feedback