[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coaching  (Read 8605 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Coaching
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2021, 09:57:58 AM »
The once great Tyler Polley went 1-7 from deep against St. John's, with most of those being unguarded.

Noticed that, too. And I also noticed that Adam Kunkel is 1-for-15 from 3 since he hit that circus shot to beat us. Jimmy Nichols, who made a few against us including one from behind the backboard while falling out of bounds, is a career 28% 3-point shooter.

Then again, Zegarowski went 0-for-7 against us, helping us pull off the upset. He was significantly outplayed by none other than Greg Elliott.

Gotta love sports!

One reason many of us love sports is because unpredictable stuff happens all the time. It's why I don't ever watch reality TV -- the only real reality TV is live sports.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2021, 10:04:35 AM »
Noticed that, too. And I also noticed that Adam Kunkel is 1-for-15 from 3 since he hit that circus shot to beat us. Jimmy Nichols, who made a few against us including one from behind the backboard while falling out of bounds, is a career 28% 3-point shooter.

Then again, Zegarowski went 0-for-7 against us, helping us pull off the upset. He was significantly outplayed by none other than Greg Elliott.

Gotta love sports!

One reason many of us love sports is because unpredictable stuff happens all the time. It's why I don't ever watch reality TV -- the only real reality TV is live sports.

In addition to Kunkel's struggles, Xavier as a team has the worst 3P% in conference play at 29.6%. That's despite a 13-24 performance against MU.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2021, 10:12:26 AM »
In addition to Kunkel's struggles, Xavier as a team has the worst 3P% in conference play at 29.6%. That's despite a 13-24 performance against MU.

Ugh.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2021, 10:15:12 AM »
And yet X posted a 'W' over the great Bradley Braves this year. Doesn't that make them awesome, or we need to target Steele as our next coach, or something?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2021, 10:16:58 AM »
Right, weird stuff happens which is why you evaluate the body of work. And Wojos,  after 6.5 sessons, is still meh.

I'm glad we won, but having a 2 game winning "streak" against middling BE teams that has us on the outside of the bubble looking in isnt exactly what I thought I'd b getting excited about in the middle of year 7.

If we get to 4 or 5 in a row, then we can start to talk of cabbages and kings.

Sigh. Not every post is about Wojo.

I find no fault with anyone who looks at Wojo's overall body of work and says "meh." I'm in that camp myself. I also find no fault with anyone who looks at Wojo's overall body of work and says "He's not the guy, I want him fired." I may be there myself depending on how the rest of the season plays out.

I do find fault with, or maybe "am amused by" is the better terminology, those who put a ton of emphasis on single game performances.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2021, 11:12:12 AM »
Sigh. Not every post is about Wojo.

I find no fault with anyone who looks at Wojo's overall body of work and says "meh." I'm in that camp myself. I also find no fault with anyone who looks at Wojo's overall body of work and says "He's not the guy, I want him fired." I may be there myself depending on how the rest of the season plays out.

I do find fault with, or maybe "am amused by" is the better terminology, those who put a ton of emphasis on single game performances.

Right, we agree, that was my point.

It's far better that we beat SJU than we lost to SJU, but it didn't move my needle much on how the season is going.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2021, 11:48:28 AM »
Right, we agree, that was my point.

It's far better that we beat SJU than we lost to SJU, but it didn't move my needle much on how the season is going.

Agreed on how it's gone, but the win did move the needle a bit for me on how it will go. At St. John's was the "Bottom 4" game that I thought we had the greatest chance of losing. Preseason, I had them pegged as a loss. Now that we've won, I more confident that we can go 7-1 or even 8-0 against the Bottom 4 which will be necessary to make the tourney.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:49:25 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2021, 12:48:46 PM »
Agreed on how it's gone, but the win did move the needle a bit for how it will go. At St. John's was the "Bottom 4" game that I thought we had the greatest chance of losing. Preseason, I had them pegged as a loss. Now that we've won, I more confident that we can go 7-1 or even 8-0 against the Bottom 4 which will be necessary to make the tourney.

Hopeless optimist that I am, I'm still thinking 10-0 vs the bottom 5!

Viper

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2021, 07:28:14 PM »

He's called me that a couple of times, which leads me to believe he has no idea what the word means.
haha. I’m good with some banter.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2021, 08:31:45 PM »

Also if you can build a lead without a player, shouldn’t you be able to keep that lead without that player?

Huh?

It’s been pointed out (correctly) by several Scoopers that teams at full strength blow leads all the time. It’s the nature of the game, especially since the shot clock and thr three point line were established. And if a team is playing without its best player it stands to reason that blowing a lead would happen with even greater frequency.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 08:37:58 PM by Lennys Tap »

fjm

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2021, 08:35:38 PM »
Huh?

UConn built a 16 point lead (or something) without bouknight.

Shouldn’t they be able to keep that lead against SJU without bouknight?

Someone was saying it was expected UConn would lose because they didn’t have their star player. But they also built quite a lead without that star player.

So why is it ok to use it (not having said star player) as an excuse for blowing the lead?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2021, 11:26:16 PM »
Maybe Ben Howland would have been the right choice for MU, after all.

In Mississippi State’s lopsided home loss to archrival Mississippi, Howland’s team failed to handle the Ole Miss 2-3 zone.

As a bonus, “They really just came out and played harder than us,” MSU guard DJ Stewart said.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2021, 07:28:04 AM »
Huh?

It’s been pointed out (correctly) by several Scoopers that teams at full strength blow leads all the time. It’s the nature of the game, especially since the shot clock and thr three point line were established. And if a team is playing without its best player it stands to reason that blowing a lead would happen with even greater frequency.
I think the point is that leads get blown all the time.   It happened under Buzz, it happened under Crean, it happens.   Not so much under Deane because MU never got big leads playing that slow.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2021, 12:31:16 PM »
YOU want Brian Wardle?! lol!
Better coach than the current mediocrity
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2021, 12:43:36 PM »

Outside of the Marquette fanbase, Wardle is not even on the radar for a high major coaching job.  There are numerous mid-major coaches who are much more qualified than Brian Wardle to coach at a Big East level.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2021, 01:10:39 PM »

You wouldn’t want him if he graduated from any other school. 
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2021, 02:37:27 PM »
You wouldn’t want him know who he is if he graduated from any other school.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2021, 05:03:49 PM »
I think the point is that leads get blown all the time.   It happened under Buzz, it happened under Crean, it happens.   Not so much under Deane because MU never got big leads playing that slow.

Of course it happens all the time. That’s one point. Another is it’s even more likely to happen if you’re missing your best player. Or even more likely if you’re missing your two best players. Etc., etc., etc. Obvious, to be sure - though I guess not to some.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2021, 05:36:07 PM »

The once great Tyler Polley went 1-7 from deep against St. John's, with most of those being unguarded.

I want dis guy to show up next time we play ‘em.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2021, 05:37:48 PM »
Maybe Ben Howland would have been the right choice for MU, after all.

In Mississippi State’s lopsided home loss to archrival Mississippi, Howland’s team failed to handle the Ole Miss 2-3 zone.

As a bonus, “They really just came out and played harder than us,” MSU guard DJ Stewart said.

MSU was probably just more tired than Ole Miss.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2021, 06:43:56 PM »
So you called Crean "The Used Car Salesman", Buzz "The Lonesome Cowboy", and Wojo "The Golden PowerPoint Boy" and you wanted them all fired. Fine, but your choice to set us straight is "Pied Piper" Wardle?
You have your opinion wrong. Never called Crean a used car salesman
Never called Wojo the Golden PowerPoint boy. I have referenced his PowerPoint because many have rumored that got him the job. Along with his Duke pedigree. Wojo has only been mediocre at best. And you know it.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2021, 06:56:33 PM »

MSU was probably just more tired than Ole Miss.

Made me smile, something I’ve done a lot of today.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 06:59:26 PM by MU82 »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2021, 08:12:56 PM »
Creighton must suck
Goal is National Championship