[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Difficult to be Optimistic  (Read 4982 times)

PorkysButthole

• Starter
Difficult to be Optimistic
« on: January 17, 2021, 11:06:06 AM »
Perhaps it's just Porky but very difficult to be happy about yesterday's W.   Now if we won a game like that against one of the top 4 teams in our league Porky would thrilled, but squeaking out a W against a team that's even more mediocre than us, knowing that game could just as easily have gone the other way?   That doesn't give Porky any confidence whatsoever.   

Porky's take is that when compared to the other 80 or so D1 high major teams (not sure the exact number if you add up all teams in the top 5 or 6 power conferences) but if you did MU is almost certainly in the lower half talent wise and probably the lower third.   

Wish it weren't so, but Porky believes that's reality, and Porky is not convinced it's all on Wojo either.  Porky is neither Projo nor Nojo, but is reasonably confident Wojo knows what he's doing and is a capable (nothing more, nothing less) high major D1 coach.   At the end of the day, the collective efforts of our players are simply not as good as they need to be.   

Sure Carton is a stud and Garcia and Lewis look very promising, but having those folks doesn't automatically make us a top 25 team anymore than St. John's having the Big East's current leading scorer makes them a great team.  We all want us to be a consistent top 25 program that is a shoe in for the tourney every year, but we're just not there yet. 

Porky isn't sure we'll ever be again unfortunately unless MU has the guts to hire a Calipari, Pitino or some other legendary coach with enough gravitas to attract the type of talent we need to get there.

What Iona College did took guts and there's no doubt in Porky's mind that if Pitino lasts, they'll be a consistent top 25 team despite their lackluster conference.  Not so much due to Pitino's superior coaching, but the superior talent his name will attract.

edit: Paragraphs are your friend.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:50:02 AM by mu_hilltopper »

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Difficult to be Optimistic
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 11:13:09 AM »
 ::)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 11:21:13 AM »
do you always refer to yourself in third person?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 11:45:09 AM »
do you always refer to yourself in third person?

Yes, he does.

In a vacuum yesterdays game was nothing to worry about.  CBB teams often over/under perform based on their opponent. But, given that MU has had a problem beating teams with aggressive D this year, it was actually encouraging. 

Given the erratic nature of MU's play to date - I understand the concern.  But, we've matched our longest winning streak of the year right now, and we'll just have to see how it all plays out.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 11:47:43 AM »
Vegas spread was between 1 and 2.  Marquette dominated 26 minutes, lost 7 minutes badly, played even for 7 minutes, and gutted out a road win.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 12:10:12 PM »
I hear Arby's is serving up a Spicy Prime Rib Cheesesteak now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarqKarp

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 12:19:26 PM »
I don't understand what the point of being a fan is, if you can't enjoy the wins, even the crappy ones.  Enjoy the wins, get pissed at the losses, and at the end of the season figure out how you feel about the season as a whole.

This doesn't mean we can't have discussions about legitimate problems and shortcomings we see in victorious games.  If you are only going to enjoy the pretty wins, that is a miserable way to spend your manhood.

If there is one thing this pandemic has taught me, we all need to live in the moment more.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 12:25:43 PM »
Yeah I agree.  Sure I'm not "optimistic" about the Wojo regime, but I will always enjoy the wins.

It's just sports.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 12:30:38 PM »
Golden Warrior believes it’s easy to be pessimistic.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 12:33:16 PM »
I don't understand what the point of being a fan is, if you can't enjoy the wins, even the crappy ones.  Enjoy the wins, get pissed at the losses, and at the end of the season figure out how you feel about the season as a whole.

This doesn't mean we can't have discussions about legitimate problems and shortcomings we see in victorious games.  If you are only going to enjoy the pretty wins, that is a miserable way to spend your manhood.

If there is one thing this pandemic has taught me, we all need to live in the moment more.

Why so stinking’ reasonable? Shame on you!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 12:34:50 PM »
Maybe if the OP used paragraphs I would read. But I read the responses instead.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 01:09:22 PM »

This is WAY too pragmatic for Scoop...but I totally agree.

We won, and that's good enough for now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 01:31:23 PM »
Maybe if the OP used paragraphs I would read. But I read the responses instead.

You’re not missing much.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 01:33:14 PM »
We had lost four straight games at St. John's, so winning there was a very good thing.

burger

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 02:53:49 PM »
I think the issue is the "obvious" talent disparity vs. what the score should be when the talent is that unequal.....

We with our talent should pound a team of that ability by 20......

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 03:12:36 PM »
We turned it over like we usually do and gave up too many open threes, but this is a fixture we'd lost four years in a row. St John's has always been a bad matchup for Wojo teams. Sorry, but this isn't the one to get your panties into a bunch about. Take the win and move on.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 03:20:37 PM »
If our talent is in the lower third of the top 80 D1 teams, but we consistently rank higher than that, doesn't that mean Wojo is actually a really good coach?

Please note that I don't have the opinion of the OP, but logic would dictate my above statement.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 04:01:14 PM »
MU is currently 2-6 against the top 50. Worst loss is #50 Xavier on a fluke last second shot.

They have two top 15 wins and are 2-1 against the Top 15. If we hold against DePaul, Georgetown, Butler, Providence, St John’s and pull out a few games against UCOnn, Xavier, Nova, Creighton or seton hall we should be fine as we would have no bad losses.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:41:04 PM by BallBoy »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 04:17:27 PM »
Creighton lost to Butler last night. I’m okay with an ugly win.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2021, 05:35:08 PM »
miles thinks you talk funny, Pork.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 11:03:00 AM »
Perhaps it's just Porky but very difficult to be happy about yesterday's W.   Now if we won a game like that against one of the top 4 teams in our league Porky would thrilled, but squeaking out a W against a team that's even more mediocre than us, knowing that game could just as easily have gone the other way?   That doesn't give Porky any confidence whatsoever.   

Porky's take is that when compared to the other 80 or so D1 high major teams (not sure the exact number if you add up all teams in the top 5 or 6 power conferences) but if you did MU is almost certainly in the lower half talent wise and probably the lower third.   

Wish it weren't so, but Porky believes that's reality, and Porky is not convinced it's all on Wojo either.  Porky is neither Projo nor Nojo, but is reasonably confident Wojo knows what he's doing and is a capable (nothing more, nothing less) high major D1 coach.   At the end of the day, the collective efforts of our players are simply not as good as they need to be.   

Sure Carton is a stud and Garcia and Lewis look very promising, but having those folks doesn't automatically make us a top 25 team anymore than St. John's having the Big East's current leading scorer makes them a great team.  We all want us to be a consistent top 25 program that is a shoe in for the tourney every year, but we're just not there yet. 

Porky isn't sure we'll ever be again unfortunately unless MU has the guts to hire a Calipari, Pitino or some other legendary coach with enough gravitas to attract the type of talent we need to get there.

What Iona College did took guts and there's no doubt in Porky's mind that if Pitino lasts, they'll be a consistent top 25 team despite their lackluster conference.  Not so much due to Pitino's superior coaching, but the superior talent his name will attract.

Is Porky code for George Constanza?
Goal is National Championship

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 09:08:07 PM »

That lowly team just beat a top 25 on the road so I am not disappoint that MU won by 2 to that same on their court.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 09:13:06 PM »
That lowly team just beat a top 25 on the road so I am not disappoint that MU won by 2 to that same on their court.

UCONN was missing superstar James Bouknight, who was averaging 20 and 5.  That's why they lost today.  Without him, they're probably not even mediocre, and they're *definitely* not top 25.  How do people not understand this?  They lost today because they didn't have Bouknight.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 09:17:31 PM »
UCONN was missing superstar James Bouknight, who was averaging 20 and 5.  That's why they lost today.  Without him, they're probably not even mediocre, and they're *definitely* not top 25.  How do people not understand this?  They lost today because they didn't have Bouknight.
Excuses, everyone has to deal with injuries. Blew a 14 point lead.
Goal is National Championship

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2021, 10:06:56 PM »

They were 9 point favorites without Bouknight. They are good with or without him but obviously better with him.

feedback