[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: College Hoops Ratings?  (Read 5072 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
College Hoops Ratings?
« on: January 17, 2021, 09:49:46 AM »
Does anyone know how they have been this year compared to past seasons?  We know they absolutely must have a tournament to salvage some revenue.  From what I have heard the NBA ratings have been an absolute disaster....I'm just wondering if that's filtered down to the college ranks? 

oldwarrior81

• All American
Re: College Hoops Ratings?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 03:50:35 PM »
The FS1 overall numbers for college hoops are up over last year.

But that may have more to do with airing more Big Ten (large alumni bases) games than in the past.
I read a couple weeks ago that one of the FS1 BigTen games drew an audience of almost 900,000.   That puts them near the audience size for a game on espn.
For comparison, Marquette games from last season on FS1 would draw around 150-200,000 viewers.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 04:00:06 PM »
The FS1 overall numbers for college hoops are up over last year.

But that may have more to do with airing more Big Ten (large fan alumni bases) games than in the past.
I read a couple weeks ago that one of the FS1 BigTen games drew an audience of almost 900,000.   That puts them near the audience size for a game on espn.
For comparison, Marquette games from last season on FS1 would draw around 150-200,000 viewers.
uconn gives a boost as well

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 09:15:54 PM »
Interesting.  The NBA could have severe probs moving forward.  Their ratings have been pretty embarrassing.  Maybe people will gravitate to college hoops? 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 10:24:15 PM »
Interesting.  The NBA could have severe probs moving forward.  Their ratings have been pretty embarrassing.  Maybe people will gravitate to college hoops?

Unless you have other sources to share, I believe I have read that NBA ratings are up from this time last year. The ratings from the “bubble” last year were in the tubes, however. The more interest in basketball in general (nba or college), the better IMO.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 06:12:24 AM »
All sports ratings save the NFL have been pretty poor.  And I wouldn't read too much into FS1's regular season ratings because it really isn't an apple to apple comparison to year's past.

That being said, I hope the NCAA tournament is a good draw.  My concern is that there just doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz about the sport right now.  Usually that starts right about now as the NFL playoffs wind down, but I think Covid cancellations and lack of fans is putting a pall on college basketball right now.  I know it did for college football too.

I just think this is a lost year. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 07:45:52 AM »
As the marketplace continues to evolve and how we consume media evolves, it’s hard to take ratings seriously. 

I’d be more concerned with the demographics of sports consumption than overall viewing numbers. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 07:53:29 AM »
For myself who watches college hoops 24/7, it has been a boring watch with limited or no fans, no pep bands, no cheerleaders and no mascots. The atmosphere is stale.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 08:16:26 AM »
For myself who watches college hoops 24/7, it has been a boring watch with limited or no fans, no pep bands, no cheerleaders and no mascots. The atmosphere is stale.

Yep. Agreed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 08:28:52 AM »
I have never watched less college basketball in my life. I have even missed most, or all, of the last three MU games. The whole season strange to me and cannot get myself motivated to watch the games.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 08:41:56 AM »
I have never watched less college basketball in my life. I have even missed most, or all, of the last three MU games. The whole season strange to me and cannot get myself motivated to watch the games.

Feel the same way.  Been like this for all sports except the NFL
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 08:46:46 AM »
Even the NFL for me but I’m a Bears fan.  I’ve taped every game and deleted the losses (half the season).

MU is actually of greater interest to me.  I knew the Bears would suck.  MU has intriguing possibilities if players keep developing and getting more comfortable with the speed and strength of the Big East.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 08:51:13 AM »

While this sentiment is true, I likely have watched more games.  Why? There is nothing else to do after watching every Netflix movie in their library.

The one thing that's changed is I don't watch MU games twice: Once as just a fan and once to analyze. I miss being there live.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 09:07:44 AM »
The problem to me is that the top two teams in the country are awesome, and the rest of college basketball kind of stinks.  I'll watch Gonzaga or Baylor any time they're on and I have nothing else to watch.  Otherwise I just don't think anybody is that worth watching and would much rather watch a random NBA game, because the quality of play is infinitely better.

I mean, Villanova is solid, but in my opinion they aren't even close to their two national championship teams.  And Texas at 4?  Nice team, but I don't see them anywhere close to what a true national title contender (top 5 team) should be.  I actually like Iowa, but they can't defend anyone.  This has to be one of Bill Self's worst Kansas teams, and they're still ranked 6.  Michigan looked awesome, then lost by 20 to Minnesota.  And then teams like Creighton and Wisconsin to me should not be anywhere near a top 10 ranking.  Clemson just scored like 12 points against UVA and is ranked in the top 15.  The product outside of the top 2 teams is just not good.

Too busy protesting?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 09:23:51 AM »
My sports watching has not changed.  Wife loves baseball and college basketball.   So do I.  Neither of us gives a rats butt about football.   I can watch golf all day.  Her not so much.   Never watched a NASCAR race.   NBA and NHL generally only during the playoffs.   

But other than MU basketball, I never plan a day or night around watching a sporting event.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 09:24:42 AM »
That seemed unnecessarily aggressive BLM. Goose has made known his political opinions but he's never been spouted crackpot conspiracy theories that'd warrant a remark like that.

There's more than enough posters on here that do post things like that without going after the ones that don't.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 09:37:17 AM »
That seemed unnecessarily aggressive BLM. Goose has made known his political opinions but he's never been spouted crackpot conspiracy theories that'd warrant a remark like that.

There's more than enough posters on here that do post things like that without going after the ones that don't.

You must've missed this well timed jab at me by Goose.  Literally within minutes of his post MAGAs were attempting an insurrection at the Capitol of the United States.  Oops.

BLM

Don't you have a protest to attend?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:39:05 AM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 09:40:24 AM »
I think it's important for everyone here to support MU Hoops despite the chaotic schedule.  These are trying times for sure.  Fans should be more, not less supportive because they are playing under these circumstances.  And it is not a "wasted season".  It will have repercussions for future teams and perhaps recruiting.  I'm pissed that I'm seeing family next weekend and will likely miss the DePaul game.  And I haven't flown for close to a year.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:51:24 AM by MuggsyB »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 09:41:09 AM »
You must've missed this well timed jab at me by Goose, only a few short hours before the insurrection attempt on the Capitol.

I did. Thank you for explaining it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 09:58:51 AM »
I think it's important for everyone here to support MU Hoops despite the chaotic schedule.  These are trying times for sure.  Fans should be more, not less supportive because they are playing under these circumstances.  And it is not a "wasted season".  It will have repercussions for future teams and perhaps recruiting.  I'm pissed that I'm seeing family next weekend and will likely miss the DePaul game.  And I haven't flown for close to a year.

I will watch Marquette, which is usually what I do.  I am not sure how supportive that is.

But I am not a huge college basketball fan as it is.  This year I have watched maybe 2 or 3 games not involving MU.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:13:34 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 10:07:33 AM »

I will watch Marquette, which is usually what I do.  I am not sure how supportive that is.

But I am not a huge college basketball fan as it is.  This year I have watched maybe 2 or 3 games not involving MU.

I'm still watching Marquette play.  But that's really all I usually do so I am not sure how supportive that is.

Well, since you're a Fluffy Blue Monster you may have other responsibilities and concerns.  In the monster kingdom I would say you are being quite supportive.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 10:20:41 AM »
Well, since you're a Fluffy Blue Monster you may have other responsibilities and concerns.  In the monster kingdom I would say you are being quite supportive.

Well thanks Muggs.  I should also add that I work for a D3 college and go to a ton of their basketball games in person.  Not having that this year is making me sad.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 10:48:04 AM »
I did. Thank you for explaining it.

I probably shouldn't have brought it up.  But I'm petty and it was teed up for me.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 11:06:55 AM »
The problem to me is that the top two teams in the country are awesome, and the rest of college basketball kind of stinks.  I'll watch Gonzaga or Baylor any time they're on and I have nothing else to watch.  Otherwise I just don't think anybody is that worth watching and would much rather watch a random NBA game, because the quality of play is infinitely better.

I mean, Villanova is solid, but in my opinion they aren't even close to their two national championship teams.  And Texas at 4?  Nice team, but I don't see them anywhere close to what a true national title contender (top 5 team) should be.  I actually like Iowa, but they can't defend anyone.  This has to be one of Bill Self's worst Kansas teams, and they're still ranked 6.  Michigan looked awesome, then lost by 20 to Minnesota.  And then teams like Creighton and Wisconsin to me should not be anywhere near a top 10 ranking.  Clemson just scored like 12 points against UVA and is ranked in the top 15.  The product outside of the top 2 teams is just not good.

Too busy protesting?

I am definitely with ya. I've obviously made it very clear in the other thread my thoughts on Gonzaga and that Baylor is the only team I really even give a chance against them.

I still think(virus willing) come March that Nova could be a pretty legit team, definitely not as good as that last title team but still a really quality team. But like you said, the rest is so meh. I think a huge issue is that MSU, UK, Kansas and Duke have all 4 chosen the same season to have head and shoulders their weakest rosters maybe ever under their coaches. And UNC who sucked last year is still very blah.

Having all the main blue bloods as bubble teams is gonna hurt things.

For me personally the lack of fans has also impacted my enjoyment and ability to watch random games as well. Does not affect my investment in MU games. But a 7 pm Tuesday game of TCU vs Oklahoma in an empty gym just simply isnt gonna get me to watch.

Maybe I'm picky, but watching a random game where I can see/hear the crowd going nuts through the tv really helps me for college basketball.

Has not bothered me 1 little bit watching NFL or NHL games on tv though.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2021, 11:49:50 AM »

I get it, but I like watching Garcia, Carton and Dawson play. They do have their moments and have been playing better the last two games. The games against St. Johns was fun to watch as I always enjoy a close game. It beats watching reruns.