Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA Making Contingency Plans For Less Than 68 Teams In Tourney  (Read 10390 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
NCAA Making Contingency Plans For Less Than 68 Teams In Tourney
« on: January 16, 2021, 10:52:03 PM »
The article asks Joe Lundari his opinion about going with less than 68 teams.  He says it is a real possibility.

The highlighted part is really interesting, Lundari seems to be suggesting they are also considering going with more than 68 teams (80?)

If the NCAA can’t have 68 teams at its 2021 men’s basketball tournament, bracketologist Joe Lunardi has contingency brackets at the ready

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/villanova/pandemic-college-basketball-ncaa-mens-tournament-bracketologist-joe-lunardi-season-uncertainty-20210106.html

“For example, suppose after Jan. 20, the new administration says, ‘We’re going to have a national or some kind of partial lockdown for three weeks or four weeks or six weeks,’” Lunardi said Wednesday. “Some leagues might say, ‘We’re done.’ The NCAA’s intent is absolutely 68, as well it should be, and they need to plan for that. But to be certain that that’s going to happen over two months out is just guessing really.”

Then there’s also the NCAA rule that a team must play a minimum of 13 games against Division I opponents to be considered for tournament selection. As of Wednesday, Duke had played just five games and Akron, the top-rated Mid-American Conference team in the NET rankings, had competed in four.

“I certainly don’t think that the 13-game piece is going to come into play unless there is a major national shutdown,” Lunardi said. “There are more teams closer to 13 than there are to two. So I don’t think that’s going to be an issue.

“If for some unforeseen reason a team can’t get to 13, (NCAA senior vice president of basketball) Dan Gavitt has already said that waivers would be considered. If Duke somehow has 12 games heading into the ACC Tournament, and then the ACC Tournament gets canceled, I think there’s a lot of pressure to have a waiver of some kind.”

Regarding the 80-team bracket, Lunardi said if he headed the committee, and it could be done safely, he’d be inclined to invite more teams to the tournament. The event would begin with 16 opening-round games to be played on the home court of the higher seed. Teams that finished as regular-season and tournament champions in their conference would receive opening-round byes.

“We have fewer ways to evaluate this year,” he said. “In order to capture the pool of good teams with a smaller sample size, a statistician would tell you, you need to increase the field, not decrease it. But look, any tournament is better than no tournament, so we’re just trying to be prepared for as many contingencies as could still happen.”

Because of limited non-conference play this season, you may see a team in the bracket with a losing record, Lunardi said, just another anomaly in an unusual year.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:19:36 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

tower912

• All American
Re: NCAA Making Contingency Plans For Less Than 68 Teams In Tourney
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 11:11:24 PM »
Wise to have contingency plans.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 11:22:54 PM »
Wise to have contingency plans ... as long as they all include Marquette.

FIFY!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 06:11:29 AM »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 07:25:02 AM »
While I am sure the NCAA is making such plans, this article doesn't address that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 09:04:36 AM »
Ncaa will see this as an opportunity to add more teams, make more money and create a new normal post pandemic.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 09:21:18 AM »
Ncaa will see this as an opportunity to add more teams, make more money and create a new normal post pandemic.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Look at the NFL. Added a playoff team due to this. The NFL will forever keep that 7th team and should just add an 8th while they are at it. More commercial revenue more game revenue. $$$$$$$$$

fjm

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 09:22:20 AM »
I should say though that it will decrease the excitement of making it.

But in the end it will still be about winning.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 09:31:11 AM »
Ah...Wojo gets a waiver.

Whatever it takes.

Yeah, the title of this thread made me think that there was a chance fewer than 68 teams would be selected, but the body of the OP talked mostly about more than 68 going.

It’s all uncharted territory. Whatever they do, I hope appropriate safety protocols are enacted. Beyond that, I’ll be happy to watch however much NCAA tournament that the powers-that-be give us.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 09:46:00 AM »
Typically, 100 teams get to play in the NCAA postseason. 68 NCAA, 32 NIT. Ignoring all the CBI/CIT style tournies, I actually get expanding it this year if there's no NIT. Though if they did, I would expand with an eye toward preferencing league champs that didn't win their autobids. That could be a pretty small number as many leagues will likely send their regular season champ and forgo the conference tournament.

Though that said, I actually think they should expand to 72. I think it would make for a better experience if done right and make both high and low majors happy.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 01:06:13 PM »
They might very well invite 80 teams on Selection Sunday, and then lose a few to Covid testing before the opening round.

No matter what anyone decides, it's gonna be a strange tourney....

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 01:17:02 PM »
I do think the ncaa will view this as an opportunity to make a much bolder change.
Why not incorporate the nit? Go to 96 teams?
Everyone gets in?

This is a once in a lifetime pass to go for a money grab when it is needed and people are less focused to block change.
The need to make up money lost is great.

I could also see a power 5 or 6 conference divorce.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 01:30:53 PM »
I do think the ncaa will view this as an opportunity to make a much bolder change.
Why not incorporate the nit? Go to 96 teams?
Everyone gets in?

This is a once in a lifetime pass to go for a money grab when it is needed and people are less focused to block change.
The need to make up money lost is great.

I could also see a power 5 or 6 conference divorce.

They aren’t going to expand this year IMO. Too many scheduling issues already holding everything in one place.

No idea what you mean by a “divorce” though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 01:33:13 PM »

They aren’t going to expand this year IMO. Too many scheduling issues already holding everything in one place.

I'm guessing he means a tourney just for the power conferences.

I don't see that happening, because you'd miss the shocking upsets that make the opening rounds so special. You would also be excluding the best team in the country this season....

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 01:52:59 PM »
Ah...Wojo gets a waiver.

Wojo only gets the easy tourney bids.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 02:05:04 PM »

Long been rumored the P5 football conferences will break off and have their own basketball tournament so they can keep all the money. Though obviously some of the charm of the NCAA tournament is David upsetting Goliath, which goes away when all the participants are Goliaths.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 02:41:02 PM »
Long been rumored the P5 football conferences will break off and have their own basketball tournament so they can keep all the money. Though obviously some of the charm of the NCAA tournament is David upsetting Goliath, which goes away when all the participants are Goliaths.

I don’t think it happens. Too easy to make the ncaa the bogeyman for everything. Of course if they start messing with football money or start REALLY enforcing recruiting rules, that could change.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 06:29:14 PM »
You would also be excluding the best team in the country this season....

Which is also top 10 pretty much every season.

I guess such a move would force Gonzaga to join a P5/6 league ... but like Sultan, I don’t see it happening.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 07:08:17 PM »

Lunardi also had thought through smaller brackets, down to 48 teams. Don't see that happening either, btu you never know.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2021, 07:17:57 PM »
Lunardi also had thought through smaller brackets, down to 48 teams. Don't see that happening either, btu you never know.

He noted a specific reason for this ... If the new administration announced a 4 to 6-week lockdown that meant suspending all games.  In that case, he speculated a lot of conferences would end the season and the reason we would have less than 48 teams is that might be all that can qualify.

I don't think this will happen (or I hope it will not happen).
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2021, 08:18:54 PM »
Which is also top 10 pretty much every season.

I guess such a move would force Gonzaga to join a P5/6 league ... but like Sultan, I don’t see it happening.

Boise State was a top-10 in football 5 out of 6 years and was shut out of the championship. Three straight years they entered the bowl season undefeated. If the P5 could shut Gonzaga and other teams out of their payday, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2021, 08:30:06 PM »
Boise State was a top-10 in football 5 out of 6 years and was shut out of the championship. Three straight years they entered the bowl season undefeated. If the P5 could shut Gonzaga and other teams out of their payday, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Gonzaga basketball is making the NCAA a LOT more money than, say, DePaul basketball is.

Boise State football is not making more money for the NCAA than even a program like Washington State football is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2021, 08:30:35 PM »
He noted a specific reason for this ... If the new administration announced a 4 to 6-week lockdown that meant suspending all games.  In that case, he speculated a lot of conferences would end the season and the reason we would have less than 48 teams is that might be all that can qualify.

I don't think this will happen (or I hope it will not happen).

If it happens there will not be a tournament because you don’t lock down America and turn it back on overnight to the point where one can have a basketball tournament.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2021, 08:39:37 PM »
If it happens there will not be a tournament because you don’t lock down America and turn it back on overnight to the point where one can have a basketball tournament.

Agreed.

I also seriously doubt the administration will shut down the country. The time to do that would have been several months ago. At this point, we are way too far along for it to make a serious difference.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2021, 09:01:12 PM »
Gonzaga basketball is making the NCAA a LOT more money than, say, DePaul basketball is.

Boise State football is not making more money for the NCAA than even a program like Washington State football is.

We're not talking about the NCAA. And cutting that money away from the Gonzagas of football is exactly why no G5 school will ever play in the currently constructed bowl playoff.

feedback