'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Loo (British for John) ies thoughts  (Read 13873 times)

tower912

• All American
Loo (British for John) ies thoughts
« on: January 16, 2021, 01:39:21 PM »
1.   MU punched first.    SJU punched back.   MU righted the ship and finished strong.   
2.   How do you prepare for SJU?   7-8 defenders and tell them that nothing is a foul?
3.   Greg was doing so good, too.   Until he started taking the ball out after made baskets.
4.   Koby has been told since he was 8 years old that you cannot run the baseline to inbound the ball after turnovers.   He did it twice.   Only called once. 
5.  Justin on the leading scorer in the Big East down the stretch?    Bold choice, Cotton. 
6.   If MU had secured rebounds in traffic and not brought the ball down after offensive rebounds, they win by double digits. 
7.   I think the refs were getting paid by the foul today.    Of course, against SJU, you want a lot of whistles, as those guys are as physical and slap-happy as any team any where. 
8.   Glad MU was making their free throws today. 
9.  Who knew that DJ could get up like that?
10.   2-0 in the stretch where it was widely agreed that MU had to make some hay.   A week off to practice, unless the BEast grows a brain and starts moving some games around.     NEXT!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Loo (British for John) ies thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 01:42:27 PM »
2-0(both on the road even if it matters less this year) against the bottom 4 so far.

Gotta just keep winning these ones.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 01:44:04 PM »
Good thing Julian Champagnie is no Kawhi Leonard or this would be a very different rundown.

(no knock on Champagnie, only about 5 people on the planet are)
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 01:44:25 PM »
Great punch back and response to the 12-0 run from the crew. Didn't give up.

Lewis needs more tick. If he can consistently defend on the perimeter, Theo, Garcia, Lewis is a viable lineup.

Gotta fix the turnovers and we're an above average team.

I thought the same about putting the ball on the floor post-offensve rebound. Very frustrating. That's grade school level stuff! Finish!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 01:52:06 PM »
I think Wojo rides the hot hands between Garcia, Lewis, and Theo.   Lewis was better than Garcia today and therefore got more run at the end.    Pretty simple. 

Letting Cain dribble against the SJU pressure?    Oof. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 02:02:22 PM »
To win with 19 turnovers and 7 blocks against (MU also had 7 blocks), is a nice road victory.

Elliott’s two inbound passes lead to 5 points, Theo’s offense block negated a three by Carton, Koby’s running baseline lead to three and I believe two of Elliott’s fouls were and ones.  That’s just off top of my head.  Lot of points off turnovers and not getting loose offensive and defensive balls, which were magically going to SJU. 

SJU is too aggressive and fouls have hurt them in past games also.  Not a long bench.

Posh Alexander is going to be a pest.  The guy has energy and more energy.  He had 9 points, 8 assists and 5 steals, but 4 turnovers.  Nice recruit for SJU. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 02:02:52 PM »
When Ms. Dgies walked in, she asked, "Did Marquette win?"

My response: "I guess that's what you call it."

I was not impressed. We were up by 10 and I instinctively felt we were going to blow it. Rather than salting them away and giving our bench some time, we were struggling until the end. There isn't the killer instinct in this team or our coach. We seem to get ahead only to squander the effort we made. We seem to lack the bench strength beyond Greg Elliott to sustain momentum.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but talentwise, we're better than they are. One, maybe two of their guys impressed me but there they were, doing their best Providence imitation.

Our guys were clearly worn out toward the end of the game. The sloppy ball handling was endemic of it.

A win is a win and I'll take it but I can't say I'm optimistic about the post season.

tower912

• All American

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 02:07:11 PM »

Letting Cain dribble against the SJU pressure?    Oof.

He is a disaster putting it on the floor against any opponent. Everyone is well aware of that. But he had one turnover of our 19 today.  Kind of odd singling him out. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 02:07:30 PM »

I was not impressed. We were up by 10 and I instinctively felt we were going to blow it. Rather than salting them away and giving our bench some time, we were struggling until the end. There isn't the killer instinct in this team or our coach. We seem to get ahead only to squander the effort we made. We seem to lack the bench strength beyond Greg Elliott to sustain momentum.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but talentwise, we're better than they are. One, maybe two of their guys impressed me but there they were, doing their best Providence imitation.

Our guys were clearly worn out toward the end of the game. The sloppy ball handling was endemic of it.

A win is a win and I'll take it but I can't say I'm optimistic about the post season.
Bench strength:   Ummmmmm..... Lewis?

Of course SJU was going to make a run.   That is who they are.    Inevitable as death and taxes.     

The plays that frosted me were Koby twice running the baseline after turnovers. 
Cain dribbling up the floor against SJU pressure with no obvious outlet.
Greg being unable to inbound the ball.    Of course, Symir was the only other guard on the floor in that stretch.    Koby and DJ sitting.
The rest was just basketball.    SJU is going to play physical and slap at everything.   MU needed to be stronger corralling rebounds and when they got the ball near the basket.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 02:09:09 PM »
He is a disaster putting it on the floor against any opponent. Everyone is well aware of that. But he had one turnover of our 19 today.  Kind of odd singling him out.

I'm not sure how that is and I have wondered about that in other games.    I distinctly remember him getting picked in the middle of the floor against pressure, and I distinctly remember him dribbling the ball off of his own leg out of bounds.   

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 02:11:31 PM »
Could someone smarter than me explain what Garcia is doing wrong that he keeps getting blocked? I've never seen someone so tall get so many shots blocked down low.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 02:15:51 PM »
He isn't super strong yet and he isn't super quick.   So he gets there, braces to go up, and the whole world comes to meet him.   Guys in front, guys from behind.    He doesn't get blocked as often when he gets the ball near the basket and still has his dribble.   Then, he shows the ball, the defense reacts, and he is able to get a shot off after a hard dribble.    When he dribbles to get close to the basket and then stops and tries to go up is when he gets blocked.   

Another year in the weight room.   

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 02:26:20 PM »
He isn't super strong yet and he isn't super quick.   So he gets there, braces to go up, and the whole world comes to meet him.   Guys in front, guys from behind.    He doesn't get blocked as often when he gets the ball near the basket and still has his dribble.   Then, he shows the ball, the defense reacts, and he is able to get a shot off after a hard dribble.    When he dribbles to get close to the basket and then stops and tries to go up is when he gets blocked.   

Another year in the weight room.

Some of these things, and, also, balance. He often isn’t in a good position from a balance perspective in some of those situations. Catch high, don’t bring it down, get better balance.

These things will improve for next year.

Dawson is a very good Freshman player and talent. But he has plenty to work on with regards to pace, speed of game, decisions, strength, all kinds of things to be more consistent for 40 minutes.

Today I liked that earlier in the game he was more interested in playing high low with Lewis, getting inside than just hanging out on the perimeter. Needs to keep working inside out.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 02:32:08 PM »
Yup yup.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2021, 02:35:11 PM »
Good thing Julian Champagnie is no Kawhi Leonard or this would be a very different rundown.

Or Adam Kunkel. Or Jimmy Nichols.

St. John's likes to "ugly up" games. I actually was very impressed with Marquette's resilience after almost giving the game away. And Wojo gave the bench as much time as he could afford to. Every time he took DJ out, it was a disaster against the press. Elliott played 24 minutes off the bench, and Lewis played 22. Even Torrence played 11. Not sure who else you were hoping Wojo would put in there.

And maybe our guys were tired at the end, but I'm guessing their guys were, too. And we made the plays in the final minute that they didn't.

St. John's is tough, scrappy and well-coached, and they have a legit stud in Champaigie. I'll take a road win against them as opposed to the losses that most teams around the country are suffering to a lot worse competition.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2021, 02:40:57 PM »
Could someone smarter than me explain what Garcia is doing wrong that he keeps getting blocked? I've never seen someone so tall get so many shots blocked down low.
Remember he just jumped from high school, beating everyone at much slower tempo, to being a starter and a key player on the BE. Not used to how quick everyone is including guys inside, and what everyone else said.
Goal is National Championship

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 02:41:36 PM »
I was very impressed with SJU's pressure after made baskets.   I didn't count, but I'd bet they created at least 4 TOs from that pressure.

Why don't more teams do that?  It's not like MU was finding an open man for an easy bucket.  Seems low risk against most teams, and if you gain 3-4 extra possessions it's gravy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 02:43:02 PM »
That is Anderson's trademark.   Recruits and starts from day 1 with the intention of pressing everywhere.    And he has the team speed to do it.    Posh was ridiculous today.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2021, 02:49:11 PM »
I thought Anderson coached a very good game today. However, I was surprised he waited so long, down 2, to go for the tie/win.

Also ...

Want to give a little shout-out to Koby. Didn't have one of his better games, but he deserves more than just being mentioned for a few screw-ups.

I mean, he DID hit the winning shot, and it was a beauty.

Reminded me some of Vander's winner against the Johnnies for the BEast title, and of course, Vander's winner against Davidson that made our Elite 8 run possible.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2021, 02:52:40 PM »
Koby was a settling influence against the press.       

I told my wife during the time out after Koby's make that Champagnie was going to hit a buzzer 3 to win.   I came close.   

I think switching Theo onto Dunn confused SJU.   I think that change made them stand still in their offense.    I think the original plan was to have a drive, collapse, and pitch to Champagnie.   MU's subtle adjustment confused SJU just enough.   

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2021, 03:00:39 PM »
Blowing a double digit lead in 3 straight second halves is pretty concerning and hope they can clean that up.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2021, 03:02:12 PM »
If only the Big East wasn't full of good teams playing really hard.     

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2021, 03:13:34 PM »
I think switching Theo onto Dunn confused SJU.   I think that change made them stand still in their offense.    I think the original plan was to have a drive, collapse, and pitch to Champagnie.   MU's subtle adjustment confused SJU just enough.

Agreed, you could see StJ was completely surprised to have Theo defending at the top of the arc.

Also thought that after they made their run, StJ looked tired. Sometimes you burn an awful lot of effort undigging a hole like that.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2021, 03:18:12 PM »
If only the Big East wasn't full of good teams playing really hard.   

Saint John’s is not a good team.  They’re a dog’s breakfast.