[Today at 12:45:22 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Her Time is Now  (Read 6388 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Her Time is Now
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2021, 10:16:30 PM »
...and when the program is tanking and the University fires her; she can sue for sexism.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2021, 04:00:36 AM »
I find female coaches in football ridiculous. Has a woman lined-up against Aaron Donald? Had to check Gronk at the line? Caught a speed ball from Watson?
However, basketball can work. Ladies play at a high level. They know the game because they've played it.  I also think a female on the recruiting trail could be effective. I mean, whatever Wojo is sellin’, a female coach can too. And quite frankly, if a recruit looks over Wojo’s results, well, enough said. Count me in!

Plenty of NFL coaches never played in the league.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2021, 06:41:55 AM »
...and when the program is tanking and the University fires her; she can sue for sexism.
please say this is supposed to be teal. If not........YIKES!

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2021, 06:53:28 AM »
Don't want to get into the arguments of women vs men or recruiting bias etc. Because it's dumb and mostly incorrect when it comes to coaching.

The only one who intrigues me is the Cleveland cavs coach. I don't want a coach who has only coached at the women's divison. The games are different enough for that to make a difference.

Women’s game is much more pure basketball, oriented to X’s and O’s and less physical then the men. Our team last season was much better to watch in their offensive sets then our men were, IMO.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2021, 07:08:34 AM »
Women’s game is much more pure basketball, oriented to X’s and O’s and less physical then the men. Our team last season was much better to watch in their offensive sets then our men were, IMO.

WTF is “pure basketball?”  Just get the ball in the hoop and prevent the other team from doing the same. There’s nothing magical about offensive sets.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2021, 08:35:02 AM »
WTF is “pure basketball?”  Just get the ball in the hoop and prevent the other team from doing the same. There’s nothing magical about offensive sets.

I was married to someone who had a sister play D3 ball and that’s what her parents would say all the time about women’s basketball.  Basketball is played in a variety of ways but the ultimate goal is to put the ball through the hoop and stop the other team from doing it.

Can a woman succeed coaching a men’s team?  Absolutely but they’ll have to be mentally strong to handle the sexism and constant attention
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2021, 08:41:50 AM »
I find female coaches in football ridiculous. Has a woman lined-up against Aaron Donald? Had to check Gronk at the line? Caught a speed ball from Watson?
However, basketball can work. Ladies play at a high level. They know the game because they've played it.  I also think a female on the recruiting trail could be effective. I mean, whatever Wojo is sellin’, a female coach can too. And quite frankly, if a recruit looks over Wojo’s results, well, enough said. Count me in!

While I understand the point of "you have to have done it in order to teach it" I think it should be pointed out that woman have been given the opportunity either. There's plenty of hard hitting woman's rugby players that I'm sure would enjoy an opportunity at least.
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2021, 09:55:06 AM »

Thank for supporting my point?  ?-(

Viper

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2021, 10:37:31 PM »
Plenty of NFL coaches never played in the league.
shouldn't you be called fluffy blue contrarian? Many NFL coaches never played in the NFL...you are correct.  But how many NFL coaches didn’t play HS and college ball? There’s even college football coaches that didn’t play beyond HS. But they played. Typically, HC’s played in the sport they are coaching. Agreed? That’s why I’m saying a female HC could work in basketball. You knew this, but felt that contrarian itch, right?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2021, 11:15:44 PM »
shouldn't you be called fluffy blue contrarian? Many NFL coaches never played in the NFL...you are correct.  But how many NFL coaches didn’t play HS and college ball? There’s even college football coaches that didn’t play beyond HS. But they played. Typically, HC’s played in the sport they are coaching. Agreed? That’s why I’m saying a female HC could work in basketball. You knew this, but felt that contrarian itch, right?

College basketball coaches that did not play in college ...

(This list definitely has a Wisconsin flavor)

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26292605/ranking-2019-ncaa-tournament-coaches-players-1-68

Bruce Pearl, Auburn Tigers -- Pearl did not play basketball at Sharon (Massachusetts) High School, as an injury suffered playing football during his freshman year prevented him from pursuing athletics. Pearl's path to coaching came after he was hired as a student assistant at Boston College under Dr. Tom Davis, and was later added to Davis' coaching staff at Stanford.

Scott Drew, Baylor Bears -- Drew's playing days ended with the JV team at Valparaiso (Indiana) High School. Though his brother, Bryce, played in the NBA, Scott Drew was a tennis player (he played on the team but didn't letter) and basketball manager at Butler.

Richard Pitino, Minnesota Golden Gophers -- Pitino's playing career concluded at the high school level -- he served as a point guard for Saint Sebastian's School in Needham, Massachusetts, while his father, Rick, was coaching the Celtics. The younger Pitino did not play college basketball, serving as a student manager at Providence under then-coach Tim Welsh.

Bruce Weber, Kansas State Wildcats -- Weber played basketball through his senior year at John Marshall High School in Milwaukee but did not play sports as a collegian at Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Chris Beard, Texas Tech Red Raiders -- Beard was a regular for McCullough High School in The Woodlands, Texas, but did not play college basketball at Texas. Then-Longhorns coach Tom Penders gave Beard a managerial job, and he'd eventually become a student assistant at the school.

Craig Smith, Utah State Aggies -- Smith played at the high school level for Stephen-Argyle Central High School in Stephen, Minnesota, but did not play collegiately at the University of North Dakota. It was while still a student at UND that Smith met Tim Miles, then the coach at NAIA Mayville State (North Dakota), who helped launch Smith's coaching career by hiring him as an unpaid volunteer assistant.

John Becker, Vermont Catamounts -- Becker was a good high school player at Roger Ludlowe High School in Fairfield, Connecticut. Read here about his 35-point game as a senior. Though erroneous information abounds about his post-high school career, Becker did not play intercollegiate basketball at Catholic University, his alma mater.

Greg Gard, Wisconsin Badgers -- Gard was a three-sport athlete (including hoops) at Iowa-Grant High in rural Livingston, Wisconsin, but did not play basketball at Wisconsin-Platteville. He did play baseball at UW-Platteville in the 1990s but was cut before his sophomore year.

Tim Craft, Gardner-Webb Bulldogs -- Craft did not play basketball at his alma mater, the University of Florida, though he was a manager for the Gators' baseball team. Craft has been quoted as saying that he could have played Division III basketball out of North Florida Christian School in Tallahassee, but the partial scholarship he received for working with the baseball team won out over a continued playing career.

Mick Cronin, Cincinnati Bearcats -- Despite his diminutive stature (5-foot-7), Cronin was a good high school point guard under his father, Hep, at Cincinnati's La Salle High. A knee injury was a factor in Cronin's career ending before he reached college at Cincinnati.

Mark Few, Gonzaga Bulldogs -- Few led Creswell (Oregon) High to the state's AAA semifinals as a senior point guard. Shoulder problems prevented him from playing at Linfield College, where he intended to play basketball and baseball.

Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech Hokies -- Williams played at Van Alstyne (Texas) High School, and told ESPN in 2012 that he could've made the roster at various "Bible colleges" across the country. Williams ultimately did not play basketball at either of his collegiate stops -- Navarro Junior College (Texas) or Oklahoma City University -- but served as a student assistant at both places.

In addition to the above

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8011917/some-top-coaches-prove-play-high-level-coach-one-men-college-basketball

Tom Crean said he realizes how fortunate he is to have been surrounded by some of greatest minds in sports. Before taking over at Marquette in 1999, Crean was an assistant under accomplished coaches such as Jud Heathcoate, Ralph Willard and Tom Izzo. And his brothers-in-law -- Jim and John Harbaugh -- are NFL head coaches.

Long before he met any of them, though, Crean was certain he wanted to become a college head coach despite never playing the game beyond high school. At the same time he was attending classes as a 19-year-old sophomore at Central Michigan, Crean was working as an assistant coach at Division III Alma College (enrollment 1,400) and at Mount Pleasant (Mich.) High School.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:17:29 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2021, 07:26:56 AM »

First, your post only referenced playing NFL football.  Second, I think its a bad point.  I don't think you need to have played the sport to coach it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2021, 08:19:03 AM »

1) Where have you been? Get yourself to a Womens Football Alliance game. Good stuff. I have a friend that is a four time champion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Football_Alliance

2)  One of course doesn't have to play a sport at xyz level to be a coach or executive, as some men have shown since the beginning of time.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:21:20 AM by shoothoops »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2021, 09:00:28 AM »
1) Where have you been? Get yourself to a Womens Football Alliance game. Good stuff. I have a friend that is a four time champion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Football_Alliance

2)  One of course doesn't have to play a sport at xyz level to be a coach or executive, as some men have shown since the beginning of time.

Or the Legends football league (formerly lingerie football)
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback