[Today at 09:06:11 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Her Time is Now  (Read 6480 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
[Cracked Sidewalks] Her Time is Now
« on: January 15, 2021, 09:37:19 AM »
First, Marquette is not in the market for a new head coach and likely will not be in the coming months. But if they were, the first two names I would want them to pursue are a current NBA assistant coach with a Final Four on the resume and a sitting high-major head coach with three Final Four appearances and a National Championship. Who are these candidates? Let's find out:

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2021/01/her-time-is-now.html
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Her Time is Now
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:41:24 AM »
Good stuff.    And I agree with most of it.      Now for the sarcasm....So many want the Warrior nickname back.   How about Social Justice Warriors?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 09:51:33 AM »
Interesting read. My guess is that the first few women to be MBB head coaches will probably have to follow routes 1 & 2 -- unimpeachable NBA assistants, or almost legends in the women's game. Mainly because ADs will be hesitant to stick their neck out for an up-and-comer who has to go up a level *and* switch from the women's to men's game.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 10:20:21 AM »
I'm game to give it a shot. Though I do think recruiting would be tougher than you're giving it credit for due to high school boy arrogance toward women athletes and more than a few "old school dads" telling their kids not to play for a woman.

That being said all it takes is a couple classes to prove their coaching chops in Men's before those people come around.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 10:28:16 AM »
I'm game to give it a shot. Though I do think recruiting would be tougher than you're giving it credit for due to high school boy arrogance toward women athletes and more than a few "old school dads" telling their kids not to play for a woman.

That being said all it takes is a couple classes to prove their coaching chops in Men's before those people come around.

I think there are times when a woman head coach would be a disadvantage on the recruiting trail, but I also think there will be mothers who are more comfortable sending their sons to learn and be watched over by another mother. Like all recruiting, you win some and lose some.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 10:48:50 AM »
I think there are times when a woman head coach would be a disadvantage on the recruiting trail, but I also think there will be mothers who are more comfortable sending their sons to learn and be watched over by another mother. Like all recruiting, you win some and lose some.

This is a very good point. And a lot of time, the mom is the one really making a big impact on the recruit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:04:45 PM by forgetful »

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 10:57:31 AM »
Great read, thanks for writing this up.

Side note, there is another woman who is currently an AC at the men's D1 level: Corin "Tiny" Adams at Loyola Maryland. Hired this off season.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 11:01:00 AM »
Great read, thanks for writing this up.

Side note, there is another woman who is currently an AC at the men's D1 level: Corin "Tiny" Adams at Loyola Maryland. Hired this off season.

Thanks for finding that! I will update the article.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 12:02:12 PM »
Good stuff.    And I agree with most of it.      Now for the sarcasm....So many want the Warrior nickname back.   How about Social Justice Warriors?

Just “Warriors” with Joan of Arc as the mascot and a female head coach. We were the first Catholic university to go co-ed; it’s the right call.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 12:25:13 PM »

CBB is all about recruiting.  If I was the AD I would only have one question ... "Why would a player like Patrick Baldwin Jr give you the time of day?" (to put it bluntly).

If she can answer this question credibly, then do it.

That said, I do not think she can, and if she cannot, it would not only be program suicide, it would set back all women that want to make the leap to the head coach chair in Men's CBB for a long time. 

ADDED LATER

The next logical step is to hire a woman at a Power 5 school as an assistant and watch them reel in recruits first before they make the leap.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 12:37:11 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 12:36:00 PM »
I think it makes sense.
And, you could pay them 20% less salary.

(It saddens me that I have to use teal there.)
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 12:40:20 PM »

So now, we not only have to use teal but we have to announce that teal is sarcasm beforehand? C'mon, tower!!!

brewski: Interesting, thought-provoking piece. The time a woman finally is hired to coach a men's program, it will be a monumental event, and the ensuing years would be pressure-filled and highly scrutinized. But that's the way it is anytime there is a first, as was the case for the first Black coaches/managers in the various sports.

My only hope is that the woman is hired at a school where success, and fairly quick success, is realistically achievable. Not a given, of course, but at least realistically achievable. In other words, not the likes of Chicago State or Binghamton or Hartford.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 01:15:39 PM »
A lot of easily triggered bro-flakes out there.    Didn't want to spook any of them.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 01:50:39 PM »

That's sort of what I mean. If you could come out the gates with a couple classes and have some success with the kids who's moms sent them your way then eventually even the grumbly old school dads would have to at least hear you out.

Essentially, I'm saying it would all be dependent on her first couple classes and I think unfortunately there'd be a shorter leash due to that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 02:02:26 PM »
That's sort of what I mean. If you could come out the gates with a couple classes and have some success with the kids who's moms sent them your way then eventually even the grumbly old school dads would have to at least hear you out.

That's the main reason I had Lindsay Gottleib at the top of my list. Hard to say "what does a woman know?" when she's coming from a NBA bench.

brewski: Interesting, thought-provoking piece. The time a woman finally is hired to coach a men's program, it will be a monumental event, and the ensuing years would be pressure-filled and highly scrutinized. But that's the way it is anytime there is a first, as was the case for the first Black coaches/managers in the various sports.

My only hope is that the woman is hired at a school where success, and fairly quick success, is realistically achievable. Not a given, of course, but at least realistically achievable. In other words, not the likes of Chicago State or Binghamton or Hartford.

Thanks. Honestly, I think a program like ours would be ideal. I think it would be better in a Top-6 conference where recruiting at the highest level is possible and with a program where there's proof that success is possible. Georgetown or St John's would also fit the mold. I also think a smaller league like the Big East is a better choice than an ACC or Big 10 where you just have so many high level programs at the top of the mountain.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 03:00:29 PM »
Keep feeding Heisie rope.   He is making his own noose.   

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 03:01:38 PM »
Heisie - that line of commentary is an embarrassment.  It's been lopped off.  Don't start it again.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 03:16:31 PM »
Don't want to get into the arguments of women vs men or recruiting bias etc. Because it's dumb and mostly incorrect when it comes to coaching.

The only one who intrigues me is the Cleveland cavs coach. I don't want a coach who has only coached at the women's divison. The games are different enough for that to make a difference.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 06:13:44 PM »

How many high-level coaches are actually moms?  Marquette, to my knowledge, has never had one for their women's team.

You can talk about gender equality all you want, but very few women have the support at home necessary to have both a high-pressure, 100-hour-a-week job and a family.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 06:21:27 PM »
How many high-level coaches are actually moms?  Marquette, to my knowledge, has never had one for their women's team.

You can talk about gender equality all you want, but very few women have the support at home necessary to have both a high-pressure, 100-hour-a-week job and a family.

Gottleib, Frese, & Barnes are all mothers.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 06:59:39 PM »
If she is better than Wojo then hire her.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 07:30:16 PM »
I find female coaches in football ridiculous. Has a woman lined-up against Aaron Donald? Had to check Gronk at the line? Caught a speed ball from Watson?
However, basketball can work. Ladies play at a high level. They know the game because they've played it.  I also think a female on the recruiting trail could be effective. I mean, whatever Wojo is sellin’, a female coach can too. And quite frankly, if a recruit looks over Wojo’s results, well, enough said. Count me in!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 08:21:42 PM »

Yep. Like Galway said, lots of old school Dads won’t like the idea. Honestly, neither will some old school Moms. But for some it would actually give you an edge. A sharp coach could easily read the tea leaves and narrow her recruiting focus accordingly. Given a strong hire, I think it’s (overall) a recruiting advantage.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 08:27:55 PM »
I find female coaches in football ridiculous. Has a woman lined-up against Aaron Donald? Had to check Gronk at the line? Caught a speed ball from Watson? However, basketball can work. Ladies play at a high level. They know the game because they've played it.

What program did Buzz play for?
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2021, 09:31:50 PM »
I find female coaches in football ridiculous. Has a woman lined-up against Aaron Donald? Had to check Gronk at the line? Caught a speed ball from Watson?
However, basketball can work. Ladies play at a high level. They know the game because they've played it.  I also think a female on the recruiting trail could be effective. I mean, whatever Wojo is sellin’, a female coach can too. And quite frankly, if a recruit looks over Wojo’s results, well, enough said. Count me in!

Why does a coach have to have played at a high level to be successful as a coach?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.