[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wednesday's MU - Georgetown Game Postponed  (Read 7637 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Wednesday's MU - Georgetown Game Postponed
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2021, 12:00:46 PM »
Xavier vs UCONN cancelled Wednesday due to Xavier. Would be a failure on the BE part if MU doesn’t go to UCONN Wednesday instead.

Seems like an easy fix

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2021, 12:02:21 PM »
I’m moving the goalposts and you’re cherry picking stretches of games which don’t represent the whole of the story ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One of my favorite things is when someone is proven wrong by another poster after making an inaccurate statement.  One of my least favorite things is people who can't admit when they were wrong.

panda

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2021, 12:15:44 PM »
One of my favorite things is when someone is proven wrong by another poster after making an inaccurate statement.  One of my least favorite things is people who can't admit when they were wrong.

My memory has been clouded with so much bad basketball over the last seven years, I suppose it’s hard to differentiate at what points of the year in multiple different seasons it manifests most.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2021, 12:24:15 PM »
I think there's an alternate theory to 2018-19, and that is Marquette never improved, they just played to their level for 27 games, then Markus got hurt and it fell out. That the 3-2 team and the 20-2 team were the same team, the only difference was the level of competition & the location of the games.

Marquette lost on the road to kenpom #52 Indiana. It's easy to think they would've won that game in January, but against top-60 teams on the road, they went 1-3 with the only win being the improbable overtime win at Creighton.

Against tourney teams, they were 0-3 on the road. Their 6 road wins were all against Big East teams that missed the tourney in an uncharacteristically weak season for the league.

The Kansas game was a neutral court loss to the #17 team in kenpom. We only played one other top-20 kenpom team, the Wisconsin win at home in overtime.

It always stood out to me how Marquette, even at their best, never really moved the computer rankings. They were between 25-35 pretty much the whole season, whether winning or losing. Even their final ranking of 33 was right there.

Maybe the reality is we were just never that good, buoyed by a weak Big East, and couldn't see it through the Blue & Gold beer goggles. I wrote about the hallmarks of us being overrated in January of that year. We just didn't want to see it.

Hmmm.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2021, 06:42:34 PM »
Xavier vs UCONN cancelled Wednesday due to Xavier. Would be a failure on the BE part if MU doesn’t go to UCONN Wednesday instead.

ESPN says that game is still happening??
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2021, 08:08:47 PM »
ESPN says that game is still happening??

So does Mike Broeker.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2021, 11:27:47 PM »
Unless St. John's is willing to fly to Milwaukee two days after playing at UConn  or one of Hall, Nova, Butler,  or DePaul is willing to play games on back to back days,  no game will be switched to Wednesday to fill the vacant slot.

Saint John's actually has 9 days between games so it's not the craziest idea. Still seems like a tight turnaround
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2021, 05:33:07 AM »
This would be an interesting time to try to use that buy game slot Marquette has banked. Siena would be possible for Tuesday, though might be too short of notice. Later in the year, Drake would be a smart add. Favored in all remaining games, but the MVC isn't getting two bids without adding some quality wins.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 06:20:47 AM »
Have we been in talks with Drake?  I like that idea.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 06:50:37 AM »
Well, you can't really improve on a 21-2 run when your top 3 players are dinged up and second and third best players are unhappy with the first team all American. (fill in your version of the Hausers saga here)    But yes, 1-6 after 23-4 is frustrating.
Yes it is. No question it is a late season melt down.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2021, 07:34:19 AM »
Have we been in talks with Drake?  I like that idea.

No idea, but it would be smart. We would really benefit adding a Q1/2 game, especially a win, while they need Q1 opportunities to have any at-large shot. They could win out and if they lose to Loyola in Arch Madness, they're out.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2021, 07:44:52 AM »
This would be an interesting time to try to use that buy game slot Marquette has banked. Siena would be possible for Tuesday, though might be too short of notice. Later in the year, Drake would be a smart add. Favored in all remaining games, but the MVC isn't getting two bids without adding some quality wins.
We won’t need to beat a Drake team to get in the tournament—our conference record will determine that.
A loss to Drake maybe the tipping point  to keep us out (assuming similar parameters as years past).
If that’s the case, I would pass on Drake. I fail to see how this would be a smart add.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2021, 09:41:31 AM »
We won’t need to beat a Drake team to get in the tournament—our conference record will determine that.

Not necessarily the case. 6 of our remaining 10 games can only hurt our resume. If we go 6-4 and don't get any more quality wins, I'm not convinced that would be enough.

Add a NET darling like Drake or Colgate, put another Q1 win on the resume, then you feel secure. I'm not at all convinced that two good wins with no other substance on the resume will be enough. The Big East just isn't good enough this year.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2021, 10:14:25 AM »
A loss to Drake maybe the tipping point  to keep us out (assuming similar parameters as years past).
If that’s the case, I would pass on Drake. I fail to see how this would be a smart add.

Hate the Drake!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2021, 10:18:07 AM »
Not necessarily the case. 6 of our remaining 10 games can only hurt our resume. If we go 6-4 and don't get any more quality wins, I'm not convinced that would be enough.

Add a NET darling like Drake or Colgate, put another Q1 win on the resume, then you feel secure. I'm not at all convinced that two good wins with no other substance on the resume will be enough. The Big East just isn't good enough this year.

5 of our remaining games can only hurt, I'm not sure which game your pegging as the 6th. At Providence and Xavier at home are both Q2A games at the moment and I think when all is said and done at Providence will be a Q1B game.

I also think when they get more games, at Butler and at DePaul will end up being Q2 wins. Will that be enough? I don't know. But comparing Marquette's resume to the resumes of some of the teams considered on the right side of the bubble, I think the only big difference is the overall win record. If we win the games we are supposed, and they lose some more games as their schedules get tougher, I could see us getting in with just winning the games we're supposed to.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:28:01 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2021, 11:43:49 AM »
UConn-Xavier is off.

The league has to start rescheduling games to keep the healthy teams playing and open space up later in the season. Marquette and UConn would be a good start.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2021, 12:03:57 PM »
Would a loss to Drake improve our position in the eyes of the committee?

*Assuming 10-8 in conference, with CU and UW wins.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2021, 12:56:49 PM »
UConn-Xavier is off.

The league has to start rescheduling games to keep the healthy teams playing and open space up later in the season. Marquette and UConn would be a good start.

This was known almost a week ago. The league was not proactive enough in getting this done (up until this point anyway). It’s looking like no cancelled games will be rescheduled.

If they aren’t going to make teams do back to backs, then when are they going to get the games in?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2021, 11:22:30 AM »
Is the current plan for the Gtown and Nova games to be rescheduled or just cancelled?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.  Pretty checked out this season.  Watch the games, but interest is at an all time low and hardly come around here.  Sad, really. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2021, 12:34:09 PM »
Is the current plan for the Gtown and Nova games to be rescheduled or just cancelled?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.  Pretty checked out this season.  Watch the games, but interest is at an all time low and hardly come around here.  Sad, really.

So far none of the postponed BE games have been rescheduled. A couple of coaches, including Wojo have referenced "trying to get a game" during their off weeks in press conferences but none seemed to have come to fruition. I've got to imagine that the logistics, specifically with televising the games, has to be difficult.
TAMU

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2021, 01:10:38 PM »
So far none of the postponed BE games have been rescheduled. A couple of coaches, including Wojo have referenced "trying to get a game" during their off weeks in press conferences but none seemed to have come to fruition. I've got to imagine that the logistics, specifically with televising the games, has to be difficult.

I get that the logistical issues are there, but the BE seems to be WAY behind the other conferences at adjusting on the fly. All the other major conferences have rescheduled at least a few already; examples below:

https://theacc.com/news/2021/1/24/acc-announces-mens-basketball-schedule-changes.aspx

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/2021/01/26/big-ten-announces-schedule-changes-michigan-state-university-basketball/4270543001/

https://kuathletics.com/big-12-announces-kansas-mens-basketball-schedule-changes/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-announces-more-postponements-changes-to-basketball-schedule/

https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/1/6/buffs-pac-12-announce-mens-basketball-schedule-changes.aspx

Either Val is sleeping on the job, or the BE Presidents and ADs have decided it isn't worth the hassle.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2021, 01:17:32 PM »

I get that the logistical issues are there, but the BE seems to be WAY behind the other conferences at adjusting on the fly. All the other major conferences have rescheduled at least a few already; examples below:

Either Val is sleeping on the job, or the BE Presidents and ADs have decided it isn't worth the hassle.

Maybe instead of the BET have all teams come to MSG to play all of the postponed games during those days.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2021, 02:01:16 PM »
Maybe instead of the BET have all teams come to MSG to play all of the postponed games during those days.

Or have a losers' bracket in the BET.  Still can crown a champ while advancing the resume of the conference bubble teams.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2021, 02:30:29 PM »

https://theacc.com/news/2021/1/24/acc-announces-mens-basketball-schedule-changes.aspx

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/2021/01/26/big-ten-announces-schedule-changes-michigan-state-university-basketball/4270543001/

https://kuathletics.com/big-12-announces-kansas-mens-basketball-schedule-changes/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-announces-more-postponements-changes-to-basketball-schedule/

https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/1/6/buffs-pac-12-announce-mens-basketball-schedule-changes.aspx

I don't know this, but I'd wonder if its because we are tied to Fox. The ESPN networks can stick rescheduled games on ESPN3 and the PAC12 Network would likely have an easier time fitting in rescheduled games. Fox doesn't have an ESPN3 equivalent and has more national commitments than the PAC12 Network.
TAMU

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2021, 02:58:36 PM »

Nova will be worn out after making up what, 6 games?

feedback