[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fans in the stands  (Read 8409 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Fans
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2021, 11:52:36 PM »
I'd rather contract COVID than watch this game in person

Well done.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Fans in the stands
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2021, 12:34:27 PM »
Why does the team, which spends most every waking moment with each other, social distance from each other on the bench with masks on for two hours every 3 to 4 days? Seems like a PR move.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2021, 12:39:49 PM »
Why does the team, which spends most every waking moment with each other, social distance from each other on the bench with masks on for two hours every 3 to 4 days? Seems like a PR move.

They're following the state and city guidelines. Seems odd to assert doing what we're all supposed to be doing is a PR move.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2021, 01:16:55 PM »
The whole team huddles up during time outs as well so seems like its maybe over the top a bit. Just Oklahoma game. Most players and coaches on sidelines werent wearing masks 90% of the time. There's no consistency with most teams doing this.Players/coaches take em off all the time. I cant imagine it preventing much if anything.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2021, 01:24:23 PM »
They're following the state and city guidelines. Seems odd to assert doing what we're all supposed to be doing is a PR move.
I mean if they were really following them would they be playing at all?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2021, 02:10:49 PM »
I mean if they were really following them would they be playing at all?

That's fair. I think the universities are doing what they can to keep sports sustainable with testing and masking as much as possible to be as safe as they can while continuing to play. But the idea that they're wearing masks on the sidelines as a PR stunt just flies in the face of what everyone is supposed to be doing.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2021, 04:27:48 PM »
I am glad MU has not done the fake cardboard fans in the stands thing!   Some schools practically have the entire lower section filled in, I mean how much money is being wasted on this????

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2021, 04:33:09 PM »
I am glad MU has not done the fake cardboard fans in the stands thing!   Some schools practically have the entire lower section filled in, I mean how much money is being wasted on this????

Some schools sell a “seat” and you get your picture on a cardboard cutout. So they’re probably making money.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2021, 04:36:40 PM »
Yeah these are fundraisers.  Likely Marquette doesn’t do it because they’d have to take them out and put them away regularly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/turnto10.com/amp/news/local/providence-college-offers-fan-a-chance-to-be-a-cutout-at-games
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2021, 08:15:05 PM »
Do they social distance and wear masks with each other at practice? At breakfast/lunch/dinner?
At team meetings?
At videotape meetings?
Of course not. So they are all social distancing on the bench.....until the timeout....then they put their arms around each other. So, which is it? Again, seems odd.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2021, 08:17:34 PM »
Do they social distance and wear masks with each other at practice? At breakfast/lunch/dinner?
At team meetings?
At videotape meetings?
Of course not. So they are all social distancing on the bench.....until the timeout....then they put their arms around each other. So, which is it? Again, seems odd.

I would assume they are wearing masks at team meetings, videotape meetings, in dining halls before and after eating, etc.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2021, 08:20:08 PM »
So players/coaches can wear a mask on the sidelines if they choose.
They can stay 6 feet until there is a TO and then they can chest bump and hug one another.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2021, 11:15:59 AM »
At team meetings?
At videotape meetings?

I would imagine the answer to all of those is yes except for while eating. I see no logic in your unfounded assertions other than perhaps you choose not to mask yourself and thus assume everyone behaves as you do.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2021, 11:22:20 AM »
I would imagine the answer to all of those is yes except for while eating. I see no logic in your unfounded assertions other than perhaps you choose not to mask yourself and thus assume everyone behaves as you do.
Not sure where you would get that from?
No, I’m a masker.
I’m trying to understand the logic as to why a group of men that live in close proximity to one another seemingly every waking moment......would then sit 6’ from each other.....until tip off.
Then no more social distancing and not a lot of masks.
My point is why social distance the bench....what are you trying to achieve?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2021, 11:28:40 AM »
I get that because I don't understand why you'd assume they automatically have bad habits when outside public view when we see them masked and distanced for the most part on the bench.

I guess we'll never know how good their compliance is, but it generally seems like the staff and members take this seriously on the sidelines and off the court (based on a lack of in-season COVID breaks) so no reason for me to assume otherwise.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2021, 11:52:01 AM »
I get that because I don't understand why you'd assume they automatically have bad habits when outside public view when we see them masked and distanced for the most part on the bench.

I guess we'll never know how good their compliance is, but it generally seems like the staff and members take this seriously on the sidelines and off the court (based on a lack of in-season COVID breaks) so no reason for me to assume otherwise.
It’s not about bad habits. It’s about logic.
Should they social distance on the bench OR should they not social distance and chest bump, shake hands, and hug each other? And when the timeout is over....go back to social distancing again.
If it’s the latter (which it is), then why the former?
Right now they are doing both...which is illogical.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2021, 12:06:22 PM »
I mean, in terms of viral load, it's not illogical. It isn't ideal, but with the low population in a large building like the Fiserv, you will have less spread than you do in a video meeting or smaller, more enclosed space. And it's extended time periods that are most dangerous, so while you do want to minimize contact, having a small instance of contact then going back to social distancing afterwards is a better course than having long-term instances of contact.

It's not ideal, nothing about playing basketball in a pandemic is, but I think they've displayed relatively good habits thus far, and our lack of game cancellations on our own part would support that.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2021, 12:26:44 PM »
I mean, in terms of viral load, it's not illogical. It isn't ideal, but with the low population in a large building like the Fiserv, you will have less spread than you do in a video meeting or smaller, more enclosed space. And it's extended time periods that are most dangerous, so while you do want to minimize contact, having a small instance of contact then going back to social distancing afterwards is a better course than having long-term instances of contact.

It's not ideal, nothing about playing basketball in a pandemic is, but I think they've displayed relatively good habits thus far, and our lack of game cancellations on our own part would support that.

Meh, a lot about the cancellations is pure and simple luck.  Many, many teams, especially in the Big East have been victims of bad luck after a lot of their games have gotten cancelled, not due to internal positive cases and/or exposure, but because of the teams that they have played had cases/exposure. 

The set-up and look is both for PR and guidelines (many of the guidelines, in itself, are for public reassurance too).  In the NFL for example, which is a different situation, but every single member of the teams get tested and have to be negative before a contest and after a contest.  If all of the players/coaches are negative, then there is little reason for coaches to be fined for not wearing masks on the sidelines.  For college basketball, the players are literally scrimmaging each other daily at practices without masks, so the optical presentation of separating them on TV might very well be following guidelines, but also don't really make sense when each of the players are exposing themselves to each other every day. 

At this point, between vaccines rolling out, contact tracing applications, masks, social distancing and the elimination of lines for concessions, there is no reason that Marquette, or any college program, could not have limited fan attendance (especially when many states are allowing for it). 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2021, 05:04:35 PM »
Some fans in the stands for the March 6 Xavier game?

https://www.fox6now.com/sports/marquette-milwaukee-bucks-fiserv-forum-fans
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2021, 05:16:42 PM »
Any news on a Rescheduling of the Georgetown at Marquette Home Game

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2021, 05:26:56 PM »
Bucks submit plan to allow limited fans inside Fiserv Forum 3000 to 5000

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2021, 09:22:51 AM »
There will be up to 250 friends and family at Creighton Saturday per JSOnline.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2021, 10:03:31 AM »
For reference; states that have fans attending sporting events have some of the highest outbreaks and deaths in the country. I am probably over-analyzing things though.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2021, 10:10:48 AM »
Ewe ar, dip yo toes in da h2o. Gotta start sumwead, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback