[Today at 07:29:40 AM]

MU all-time defensive team? by MU82
[Today at 07:28:24 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[June 19, 2024, 08:33:32 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Tyler COLEk
[June 19, 2024, 08:02:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Where do you stand?

Projo for life
1 (0.5%)
Hanging on to projo
39 (20.9%)
In the middle
35 (18.7%)
Experimenting with nojo
65 (34.8%)
Nojo forever
47 (25.1%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Voting closed: January 03, 2021, 10:00:50 AM

Author Topic: Projo nojo  (Read 27157 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Projo nojo
« Reply #200 on: December 29, 2020, 07:24:04 AM »
I echo these concerns, especially the second one.

I will be 100% behind whomever we hire, just as I have been behind Wojo, but it is a big leap from UWGB/Bradley to recruit at the level that Scoopers expect from our coach. And just saying, "Eh, he'll hire assistants who can consistently get top 30-100 players," seems extremely optimistic.

I will say this, moving from the MVC to the Big East is the same type of move that Dan Hurley made going from the A10 at URI to UConn, and is less of a leap than Ed Cooley made going from Fairfield to Providence or Jay Wright made from Hofstra to Villanova.

So I think it can be done, but Cooley seems to have topped out at a level just above Wojo but below a championship level, and the jury is still out on Hurley. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #201 on: December 29, 2020, 07:49:55 AM »

I will say this, moving from the MVC to the Big East is the same type of move that Dan Hurley made going from the A10 at URI to UConn, and is less of a leap than Ed Cooley made going from Fairfield to Providence or Jay Wright made from Hofstra to Villanova.

So I think it can be done, but Cooley seems to have topped out at a level just above Wojo but below a championship level, and the jury is still out on Hurley.

In all of those instances, recruiting hasn't been a problem. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #202 on: December 29, 2020, 08:18:42 AM »
I have two concerns with Wardle.

First, his temper got him into big trouble at UWGB, which despite the statement that it was just a bunch of soft kids whose parents were overly involved, was a more serious problem than some were lead to believe.  It also got him into trouble at Bradley but not nearly to the same extent.  That's a problem that can be dealt with IMO.

Second, he really doesn't recruit at a high level.  And at mid-majors, that can work if you are a really good coach.  But will he be able to step up his recruiting?  Is he a good enough coach if he can't?

I would agree with this. I would be okay with his name in a large list of initial candidates. But that is as far as I would go at this time. And personality/temperament would perhaps put him at an initial disadvantage.

Recruiting is a huge part of the game. Staff would be very important. Style of play etc...

And while improving GB and Bradley, he still has had only one winning record in The Valley, and one top four finish.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #203 on: December 29, 2020, 08:46:07 AM »
I have two concerns with Wardle.

First, his temper got him into big trouble at UWGB, which despite the statement that it was just a bunch of soft kids whose parents were overly involved, was a more serious problem than some were lead to believe.  It also got him into trouble at Bradley but not nearly to the same extent.  That's a problem that can be dealt with IMO.

Second, he really doesn't recruit at a high level.  And at mid-majors, that can work if you are a really good coach.  But will he be able to step up his recruiting?  Is he a good enough coach if he can't?

I share those concerns. I agree that PR concerns can be addressed, and think a strong PR hand like Scott Kuykendall would help in that regard.

From a recruiting perspective, I think the program and assistants will help in that regard, and frankly we've seen programs like Wisconsin prove that it's more important to get guys that fit the system than just the stars next to their names. He's found guys like Elijah Childs, Darrell Brown, and Keifer Sykes to make his system go, and unearthed Alec Brown & got him drafted to the NBA.

I also think the impending immediate eligibility would help a coach looking to find their footing in a high major. Though I would guess we'll have another 1.5 years of Wojo regardless to evaluate options.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #204 on: December 29, 2020, 08:56:41 AM »
The only way there is a coaching change after this season is if John Beilein or Thad Matta are dialing up Scholl.  AKA Wojo will be our coach next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2020, 12:07:15 PM »
I would be on board with Wardle now. I wouldn't have been when our job was last open. He has shown the ability to build two programs, has won conference titles (GB) and conference tourney titles (Bradley). He has won at different tempos.

But more than anything, Wardle has spent his career working to build a resume to put him in position to take THIS job. Wardle's time at Green Bay, his time at Bradley, all of that is to make him worth hiring for Marquette. No one out there has worked harder to get the Marquette job specifically, no one would value it more, and no one realistic will have a markedly better resume. There may be candidates like TJO or others that can be about on par, but we know Wardle's passion and we know he can build a program.

It isn't an obvious home run hire, but it would be the most proven head coaching hire made by Marquette certainly in my lifetime. I would say the most proven hire since Eddie Hickey in 1958.

Brew,  has Wardle said the MU job is the job he is gunning for?   

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2020, 12:10:59 PM »
The only way there is a coaching change after this season is if John Beilein or Thad Matta are dialing up Scholl.  AKA Wojo will be our coach next year.

I'd forgotten about Beilein.  If he wasn't 67, he'd be a damn good option.  If he chooses to coach again, he probably wouldn't work more than five years before retiring for good.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #207 on: December 29, 2020, 12:29:57 PM »
Why doesn't Northwestern, Notre Dame, or West Virginia change their coach every few years?
Could it he because they win so many championships?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #208 on: December 29, 2020, 01:39:02 PM »

Weave all ready had won total loser, van driver from St. Peter's, aina?

Can Shaheen play the piano?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #209 on: December 29, 2020, 01:40:32 PM »
Brew,  has Wardle said the MU job is the job he is gunning for?

Publicly, no, but no coach will ever say "this job I have is fine, but what I really want is...." I've heard enough behind the scenes to strongly lead me to believe that he wanted it when it was last open & his move to Bradley was in part because the UWGB resume wasn't enough. I have no doubt he'd be first in line to interview if MU came open.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #210 on: December 29, 2020, 02:02:22 PM »
Publicly, no, but no coach will ever say "this job I have is fine, but what I really want is...." I've heard enough behind the scenes to strongly lead me to believe that he wanted it when it was last open & his move to Bradley was in part because the UWGB resume wasn't enough. I have no doubt he'd be first in line to interview if MU came open.

Gotcha,  thanks.  I appreciate your insight.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2021, 07:11:49 PM »
Bump. Leave him in DC, close to home.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #212 on: January 02, 2021, 07:35:22 PM »
Meanwhile, Shaka Smart just blew out Kansas and has Texas as the #6 Kenpom team.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2021, 07:35:28 PM »
Meanwhile, Shaka looks good at UT.

*ducks*

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2021, 07:37:38 PM »
I will admit I downloaded the Fire Wojo paperwork after the Nova game, I’m thinking I have some time during this 2nd half to fill it out.....this game is the worst I’ve seen from MUBB in many years #Painful
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2021, 07:41:59 PM »
I will admit I downloaded the Fire Wojo paperwork after the Nova game, I’m thinking I have some time during this 2nd half to fill it out.....this game is the worst I’ve seen from MUBB in many years #Painful

Paperwork?

NoLongerWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2021, 07:43:23 PM »
Firing wojo isn’t enough anymore. I want some measure of revenge for what he has done to our program.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2021, 07:46:24 PM »
Firing wojo isn’t enough anymore. I want some measure of revenge for what he has done to our program.
We could try to sue him for malpractice. After Buzz we needed an appendix removal but Wojo performed a lobotomy.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 07:49:13 PM by 5DollarPitcher »

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #218 on: January 02, 2021, 08:05:32 PM »
Wow they blow, they are actually getting worse each game.   They may not actually win another game this season.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #219 on: January 02, 2021, 08:40:42 PM »

I was wrong - they might beat Georgetown twice this year.  Wow, GT a team the turns over the ball at crucial times for than MU

Wow they blow, they are actually getting worse each game.   They may not actually win another game this season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #220 on: January 02, 2021, 09:34:53 PM »
We could try to sue him for malpractice. After Buzz we needed an appendix removal but Wojo performed a lobotomy.

Took you so long to come up with a lobotomy that you first had to go with “brain surgery” and then edit the post? Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #221 on: January 02, 2021, 09:48:40 PM »
Took you so long to come up with a lobotomy that you first had to go with “brain surgery” and then edit the post? Lol.
After I posted I realized brain surgery was a little generous as that’s a legitimate medical procedure. Good catch though!

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2021, 09:49:54 PM »
I would like to see a Brian Dutcher from sd state. He recruited the fab 5 at Michigan. Has had success, from the Midwest, buyout is affordable and we can afford him.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2021, 09:51:02 PM »
After this one.

Warrior-Eagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2021, 10:12:36 PM »
I would like to see a Brian Dutcher from sd state. He recruited the fab 5 at Michigan. Has had success, from the Midwest, buyout is affordable and we can afford him.

My recollection is that there was some Cash Incentives with the Fab 5.