[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Super Nova  (Read 9654 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Super Nova
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2020, 08:38:16 PM »
I have

And what gives you hope that things will improve coach Wojo?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 08:42:52 PM »
And what gives you hope that things will improve coach Wojo?

I think we’re appreciably better then butler, St. John’s, DePaul, and Georgetown.  It’s a big if but take care of business and go 7-1 against those 4.

Get the home game against X, split with Uconn and providence and there’s your 11 wins without having to really overachieve from here on out imo.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2020, 08:43:36 PM »
where do u find the  optimism?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2020, 08:44:19 PM »
I think we’re appreciably better then butler, St. John’s, DePaul, and Georgetown.  It’s a big if but take care of business and go 7-1 against those 4.

Get the home game against X, split with Uconn and providence and there’s your 11 wins without having to really overachieve from here on out imo.

Aside from Xavier and maybe UConn it wouldn’t even take winning another game against a ranked opponent.  We’re much better then our 5-5 record indicates.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2020, 08:46:40 PM »
where do u find the  optimism?

From watching those above mentioned teams play this year.  We have much better talent and way deeper then most of them.  We are light years away from the nova’s of the world but we are still a very talented good team.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2020, 08:47:34 PM »
Good players, bad coach. Simple as that for me.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2020, 08:50:06 PM »
Turned on the Bucks’ game with 15 minutes to go.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2020, 08:50:27 PM »

Always exciting knowing that we can comfortably finish in 6th place again!

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2020, 08:50:32 PM »
Good players, bad coach. Simple as that for me.

Talent differential should win us a bunch of games from here on out is what I’m saying. 

I didn’t say anything about wojo out coaching anyone.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2020, 08:52:23 PM »
  • We won the eFG% battle and LOST BY 17!!! 59.8 to 59.2, that should at the minimum have you in the game every time, but...
  • 17 freaking turnovers? Against a team like that who only turned it over 4 times?
  • Collin Gillespie is wide open from three again.
  • Slow close-outs, late close-outs, or no close-outs. You can't give Villanova that many squeaky clean looks.
  • Offensive clinic. Multiple times we saw JRE posting up Carton or Theo out on the perimeter guarding Gillespie. Switches like that are a losing formula.
  • Jamal Cain had an awesome first half. Sadly, didn't last.
  • Villanova was simply the better team. Better in every aspect. I didn't expect a win, but I expected us to compete. We just looked outmatched in the second half.
  • Can we put to bed the idea this defense is better? Our strategy early on was basically luck. Our first 6 opponents all shot below 30% from three despite having plenty of good looks. Safe to say that has normalized, and it's ugly.
Finally...some Conference-only rankings:

• Adjusted Defensive Efficiency: 10th
  • eFG% Defense: 10th
  • Defensive Turnover%: 10th
  • FTA/FGA Ratio: 10th
  • 3PFG% Defense: 10th
  • 3PFGA/FGA Ratio: 10th
  • Defensive Assist Ratio: 10th
What does all that mean? We are the worst defensive team, the worst at defending shots, the worst at sending teams to the line, the worst at turning teams over, the worst at limiting three point attempts, the worst at allowing teams to pass around until they find an open shooter. This defense is not good. This is just another Wojo defense. All it took was conference play to expose it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2020, 08:52:43 PM »
Always exciting knowing that we can comfortably finish in 6th place again!

I think any realistic fan expected a middle of the pack finish so ya somewhere between 4-6 is what I’m still seeing as a possibility.

Nova and Creighton are obviously cream of the crop.  From there it’s a toss up between 3-7

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2020, 08:55:34 PM »
  • We won the eFG% battle and LOST BY 17!!! 59.8 to 59.2, that should at the minimum have you in the game every time, but...
  • 17 freaking turnovers? Against a team like that who only turned it over 4 times?
  • Collin Gillespie is wide open from three again.
  • Slow close-outs, late close-outs, or no close-outs. You can't give Villanova that many squeaky clean looks.
  • Offensive clinic. Multiple times we saw JRE posting up Carton or Theo out on the perimeter guarding Gillespie. Switches like that are a losing formula.
  • Jamal Cain had an awesome first half. Sadly, didn't last.
  • Villanova was simply the better team. Better in every aspect. I didn't expect a win, but I expected us to compete. We just looked outmatched in the second half.
  • Can we put to bed the idea this defense is better? Our strategy early on was basically luck. Our first 6 opponents all shot below 30% from three despite having plenty of good looks. Safe to say that has normalized, and it's ugly.
Finally...some Conference-only rankings:

• Adjusted Defensive Efficiency: 10th
  • eFG% Defense: 10th
  • Defensive Turnover%: 10th
  • FTA/FGA Ratio: 10th
  • 3PFG% Defense: 10th
  • 3PFGA/FGA Ratio: 10th
  • Defensive Assist Ratio: 10th
[/b]

What does all that mean? We are the worst defensive team, the worst at defending shots, the worst at sending teams to the line, the worst at turning teams over, the worst at limiting three point attempts, the worst at allowing teams to pass around until they find an open shooter. This defense is not good. This is just another Wojo defense. All it took was conference play to expose it.

thats insane. just awful. It looks like it out there. Does one team have all the 11th place spots lol?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2020, 08:57:04 PM »
thats insane. just awful. It looks like it out there. Does one team have all the 11th place spots lol?

The only reason we're ahead of DePaul is because they haven't played a game yet. That won't change tonight because these are conference only stats, so a game against WIU won't change things.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2020, 08:57:16 PM »
I think any realistic fan expected a middle of the pack finish so ya somewhere between 4-6 is what I’m still seeing as a possibility.

Nova and Creighton are obviously cream of the crop.  From there it’s a toss up between 3-7

Yep. Firmly entrenched in the middle to lower end of the conference as long as Wojo is here. The ceiling has been established.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2020, 09:03:14 PM »
Yep. Firmly entrenched in the middle to lower end of the conference as long as Wojo is here. The ceiling has been established.

We finished 2nd two years ago?  A game from winning the conference.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2020, 09:03:51 PM »
The only reason we're ahead of DePaul is because they haven't played a game yet. That won't change tonight because these are conference only stats, so a game against WIU won't change things.
oh yeah.. oof

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2020, 09:05:21 PM »
This team will be lucky to win the .500 in Big East mediocrity trophy.   Watch a loss be GT and the bottom will fall out.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2020, 09:06:04 PM »
Turned on the Bucks’ game with 15 minutes to go.
That didnt turn out so great either.

panda

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2020, 09:10:11 PM »
We finished 2nd two years ago?  A game from winning the conference.

Oh yea the weakest the new big East has ever been and our most talented team under Wojo. We should’ve ran away with conference right?

What about the other five seasons?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2020, 09:12:44 PM »
lol they go with a pic of wojo smiling for the thumbnail on the post game interview on the MU YouTube chanel

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2020, 09:24:21 PM »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2020, 09:27:38 PM »
I still say that if our guys played a pick-up game against Nova it would be close or even a win.  Wojo's shambles of an offense takes away scoring opportunities and never gets anyone open.  Why he can't just have a defender stay home on a hot shooter and deny the ball is beyond me as well.  If the shooter cannot receive the pass, he cannot take the shot. 

Nova is a great team, great coach, great system.  Well done by them!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2020, 09:31:23 PM »
Wow, was looking at Wojo's record and if you take out the 40 buy game wins (Buffalo game wasn't counted) and he's under .500 at 80-86.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2020, 09:37:37 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jQcLBBCUx4

Man, I wish one of the reporters would have asked .. "Coach, your team is last in the conference in every conceivable defensive metric.  Any thoughts on that?"

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2020, 09:41:12 PM »
We played good for 16-17 minutes of the first half but still trailed. This was a game where experience won out. Our young guys could not sustain their level of play because they’ve not had to. Nova is good. After half we realized we were finished. I thought this game was good for our guys. I’m actually not even discouraged after this one.

feedback