[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will you get the Covid vaccine when it's available to you?

Yes
57 (75%)
Undecided
5 (6.6%)
No - I won't get one unless my job or the government requires it
14 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: Will you get the Covid Vaccine?  (Read 24090 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Will you get the Covid Vaccine?
« on: December 18, 2020, 06:17:57 PM »
There has been discussion of this in the Vaccine thread, but I'm curious how many are undecided or unwilling to get the vaccine at this point.

I have been on record as reluctant at first, when it appeared Trump might strong-arm FDA into premature approval this fall. But once it became apparent that the companies and FDA were following the rules - and given the very similar results from two very similar vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) - I have decided to get it as soon as it's my turn. I am low in the priority list, so it will probably be late spring, but I will go when I can.

tower912

• All American
Re: Will you get the Covid Vaccine?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 06:32:10 PM »
I will be passing on it in the short term, having recently had COVID.   I am planning on getting it late spring.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 06:57:27 PM »
I will get it when my turn in the process comes.  If nothing else, I want to get it to have a better chance to see my parents again in person.  My Dad has some serious health issues that put him at high risk if he were to get Covid and my Mom is very protective of him these days.  I doubt we'll be able to see them again in person until my husband and I have gotten the vaccine. Of course there's the complicating factor of my kids not being able to get the vaccine yet but I'll figure out that part later I guess...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »
If it means I can return to regular travel again, I’d do it tomorrow even if it meant I would have regular gastrointestinal distress for months  ;D Lets Rock and Roll

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 08:17:02 PM »
If it means I can return to regular travel again, I’d do it tomorrow even if it meant I would have regular gastrointestinal distress for months  ;D Lets Rock and Roll

I'm in, though probably nowhere near the front of the line (which is somewhat of a relief for me, to observe side effects in the meantime).  And honestly, I'm ready to buy all of you a beer when we can meet in a bar again.  Especially 4ever (he'll take a cider or gluten removed beer...I know)  You can hold me to it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 08:50:08 PM »
Slainte'
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 09:18:00 PM »
I was extremely hesitant/against.

Until I did a bunch of my own research.

I got mine today. I would prefer the Pfizer vaccine as Moderna has no track record to speak of and they had a worse side effect profile.

I'm still somewhat nervous about possible long term autoimmune side effects, but significantly less so than I was a week ago.

7 hours in and everything is normal.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 10:31:04 AM »
I would get it today were it an option. I'm sure I'm about last in line though.

My wife is an oncology PA and scheduled to receive it on 12/31.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 10:46:32 AM »
I'm in, though probably nowhere near the front of the line (which is somewhat of a relief for me, to observe side effects in the meantime).  And honestly, I'm ready to buy all of you a beer when we can meet in a bar again.  Especially 4ever (he'll take a cider or gluten removed beer...I know)  You can hold me to it.

Ewe buyin'? Eye'll take a Caymus Cab, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 10:47:57 AM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 09:29:32 AM »
I'm in, though probably nowhere near the front of the line (which is somewhat of a relief for me, to observe side effects in the meantime).

Same here. I feel better about it than I did a few months ago, but I still want to make sure everything works out as this gets scaled up.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 11:42:43 AM »
absolutely, once my turn comes up. I accept the fact that as a very healthy 44 year old with no underlying health concerns I am nowhere near the front of the line. But when it's time I won't hesitate.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2020, 03:12:57 PM »
Food for thought:

I'm in the middle of a podcast with Dr. Peter Attia and Dr. Matthew Walker discussing sleep. Dr. Walker is an expert in the field of sleep study. They mentioned a study that identified that patients who get 6 hours or less of sleep for 3 days leading up to influenza vaccinations demonstrate 50% less antibody activity than those over 6 hours of sleep.

Relevance? Possibly.

I did get over 6 hours prior to my vaccine, but I didn't have the knowledge of this. I absolutely will maximize sleep before and after my 2nd round.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2020, 04:51:40 PM »
Food for thought:

I'm in the middle of a podcast with Dr. Peter Attia and Dr. Matthew Walker discussing sleep. Dr. Walker is an expert in the field of sleep study. They mentioned a study that identified that patients who get 6 hours or less of sleep for 3 days leading up to influenza vaccinations demonstrate 50% less antibody activity than those over 6 hours of sleep.

Relevance? Possibly.

I did get over 6 hours prior to my vaccine, but I didn't have the knowledge of this. I absolutely will maximize sleep before and after my 2nd round.

Good idea.

There is also research about diminished sleep impairing response to Hepatitis B vaccine, so it seems to be a pretty consistent finding.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 01:07:48 PM »
Obviously in the minority here, but I will not be getting it.  Just still too many unanswered questions for me on this one. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 02:21:28 PM »
Nope.  I'm with MU B2002 on this one -- too many unanswered questions, too little (no) human testing.  I'll wait until everyone who's clamoring for the vaccine is able to get theirs.  By then we'll have more information on its efficacy, side effects, etc.  In the meantime I'll let my good health, natural immunity, good hygiene and smart social distancing protect me.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2021, 04:32:38 PM »
Nope.  I'm with MU B2002 on this one -- too many unanswered questions, too little (no) human testing.  I'll wait until everyone who's clamoring for the vaccine is able to get theirs.  By then we'll have more information on its efficacy, side effects, etc.  In the meantime I'll let my good health, natural immunity, good hygiene and smart social distancing protect me.

I don’t understand what you mean by “too little (no) human testing.“ In fact, the currently approved vaccines have been through extensive clinical trials, data review by independent panels (and available to the public) and ultimate approval by the FDA.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2021, 06:49:45 PM »
My wife got her second vaccine today.

My son and daughter-in-law each got their first.

I'm glad they did, and I look forward to when it's my turn.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2021, 06:50:02 PM »

I don’t understand what you mean by “too little (no) human testing.“ In fact, the currently approved vaccines have been through extensive clinical trials, data review by independent panels (and available to the public) and ultimate approval by the FDA.

Unfortunately the above posts are too often common out there. The vaccine cannot come soon enough for my elderly relatives. And I will take it as soon as it is available to me.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 07:49:21 PM »
I am fine with fence sitters as it gets me up to the front of the line sooner. So you wait as long as you need and go anti-vaxxers. 

Did I do that right to be on trend for America-pandemic?

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 08:48:30 AM »

This is just not true.  There has actually been a ton of human testing with both the Moderna and Pfzier vaccines, more than most phase III studies.  Specifically the Moderna vaccine had 30k participants in phase III and Pfzier had 43k participants in phase III.   And actually J&J will conduct the largest phase III vaccine study in history for their vaccine with 60k participants.  So to say there has been little to no human testing is entirely false.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 08:54:05 AM »
I am going to have to.
1.  After March 31, if I catch COVID again, it will no longer be presumed I caught it at work and missed time will not be workman's comp.

2.  All city employees will be not allowed to travel for training or conferences without proof of the vaccination.

I was going to wait until later in the spring, closer to 180 days after I had it.   With the new regs, I will probably be getting it right after the 90 day post infection window closes. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2021, 12:17:51 PM »
People who are skipping the vax because it was "rushed" don't understand FDA regulations nor clinical testing.  The vaccine is perfectly safe, and there is no evidence to the contrary.

When you throw nearly infinite money at something like this and there is no profit risk for companies, you can' accomplish a lot in a short period of time.

It's a shame that we spend billions on bombs blowing up people across the world instead of throwing money at medical and scientific research.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2021, 12:36:23 PM »
so, if a proposal in Oregon to prioritize "BIPOC" individuals goes through, my 100% healthy, FT WFH, and younger than me wife will get the vaccine significantly sooner than I will. Teachers have moved to the front of the line (totally cool with that) but prioritizing "BIPOC" (I'm not sure which definition they'll use, she could be shut out too) because of "historical inequity," even over the elderly, seems pretty BS to me.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2021, 12:40:57 PM »
so, if a proposal in Oregon to prioritize "BIPOC" individuals goes through, my 100% healthy, FT WFH, and younger than me wife will get the vaccine significantly sooner than I will. Teachers have moved to the front of the line (totally cool with that) but prioritizing "BIPOC" (I'm not sure which definition they'll use, she could be shut out too) because of "historical inequity," even over the elderly, seems pretty BS to me.

If it's because of 'historical inequity," it's a bad idea.

If it's because they have numbers showing that the people in the group (however they define it) are at significantly higher risk of contracting and/or getting really sick from Covid, it may be a good idea.