[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Carton vs. Trice, last possession  (Read 6946 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Carton vs. Trice, last possession
« on: December 04, 2020, 10:51:28 PM »
Carton walks the ball up the court, seemingly oblivious that the team is down a point with only seconds remaining (painfully dumb), and is bailed out with a “bone-headed” foul on Trice.  That was crazy.  Advantage Carton, under the circumstances.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

DoctorV

• All American
Re: Carton vs. Trice, last possession
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 11:01:08 PM »
Carton walks the ball up the court, seemingly oblivious that the team is down a point with only seconds remaining (painfully dumb), and is bailed out with a “bone-headed” foul on Trice.  That was crazy.  Advantage Carton, under the circumstances.

Missed it, can I see a video please

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 11:01:34 PM »
Eh, dont forget the TV clock was about a second off. A little late to start his drive, sure but better than what it initially seemed.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 11:21:06 PM »
On the last possession, the clock started once the ball was inbounded not when it was first touched.  It cost Marquette about .5 seconds but all’s well that ends well.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 11:22:10 PM »
Also, DJ totally schooled Trice on two other trips during the closing minute or so. Cruised right past him to score big hoops.

He's still knocking off the rust a little, and the shot isn't falling yet, but DJ is going to be something when he puts it all together. It's nice to have a PG who can control the tempo, get himself and others involved and play some D.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

1SE

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 02:21:07 AM »
Video here:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1335042282228166658

Trying to not to be a homer - it was a close call and definitely bailed Carton out - but Trice wasn't set and is leaning into Carton from the side - and they had been calling that all night.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 06:01:01 AM »
It was clearly a foul be Trice.  And it was a poor one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 06:33:26 AM »

If I remember right, they basically called the exact same thing a block on Davison when he leaned in while shuffling feet in the first half.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 06:35:21 AM »

The TV announcers (especially Lavin) noted a point of emphasis this year in officiating is the last play of the game. No longer encouraged to “let them play” but call it the same as they would any other play in the game.

That was a foul in the first half ... and was correctly called a foul with one second left.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 07:56:33 AM »
If the foul hadn’t happened, I don’t see how Carton was going to be able to get any kind of decent shot off before the buzzer.

The refs made the correct call.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 08:14:32 AM »
If the foul hadn’t happened, I don’t see how Carton was going to be able to get any kind of decent shot off before the buzzer.

The refs made the correct call.
Agreed.  When I saw it live, I thought it might have been offensive, and no way he'd have gotten a shot off.  The replay clearly showed Trice was moving though.  Did DJ even know how  much time he had?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 08:35:29 AM »
Agreed.  When I saw it live, I thought it might have been offensive, and no way he'd have gotten a shot off.  The replay clearly showed Trice was moving though.  Did DJ even know how  much time he had?

He did, but people watching on TV didn't. The arena clock was about a second behind the broadcast clock. It was apparent on a few of the late shot clock situations:

Arena shows 7.3, broadcast shows 6.3: https://twitter.com/dwalsh76/status/1335048005435744257?s=21

Arena shows 1.2, broadcast shows 0.9, though the broadcast clock froze on 0.9 as DJ started his drive: https://twitter.com/eyeformation/status/1335045651051270144?s=21

Considering Carton actually had about 2.2 seconds when he started his drive from the top of the key (not the 0.9 the broadcast showed) it was plenty of time to get to the rim.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 08:38:37 AM »
He did, but people watching on TV didn't. The arena clock was about a second behind the broadcast clock. It was apparent on a few of the late shot clock situations:

Arena shows 7.3, broadcast shows 6.3: https://twitter.com/dwalsh76/status/1335048005435744257?s=21

Arena shows 1.2, broadcast shows 0.9, though the broadcast clock froze on 0.9 as DJ started his drive: https://twitter.com/eyeformation/status/1335045651051270144?s=21

Considering Carton actually had about 2.2 seconds when he started his drive from the top of the key (not the 0.9 the broadcast showed) it was plenty of time to get to the rim.
Thanks for the  clarification Brew.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 08:44:44 AM »
DJ had time. And it was absolutely a foul on Trice. Glad the refs called it.

I have always been against the "let the players decide it" mentality. It's stupid. If you're a ref and you don't call a foul that you know was a foul, you ARE deciding it. I know these calls will always piss off one of the two coaches/teams/fanbases. What else is new? That's the job.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 08:47:13 AM »
btw, Carton’s free throw form? Terrible. Shooting...even ‘throws, a lost art? (noticed Theo’s form at the line last night regressed to that of last season)
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 08:51:51 AM »
Carton walks the ball up the court, seemingly oblivious that the team is down a point with only seconds remaining (painfully dumb), and is bailed out..

I agree with this analysis .. MU had a timeout left .. I was stunned at how nonchalant DJ was as he moved the ball up court -- even if the TV clock was ~1 second off.   If the intent was to get to the hoop, well, get there fast so a bad shot can be rebounded.   

I think Trice fouled him .. but DJ was 1000% lucky it happened.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 08:54:16 AM »
btw, Carton’s free throw form? Terrible. Shooting...even ‘throws, a lost art? (noticed Theo’s form at the line last night regressed to that of last season)

Small sample size, but Theo's free throw shooting is much improved so far this year. Prior to last night he was 13-for-15 from the line.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 09:53:58 AM »
Missed it, can I see a video please

Wait.

You've made tons of comments/analysis about the game last night. But you missed the last 5 seconds?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 10:05:08 AM »
DJ had time. And it was absolutely a foul on Trice. Glad the refs called it.

I have always been against the "let the players decide it" mentality. It's stupid. If you're a ref and you don't call a foul that you know was a foul, you ARE deciding it. I know these calls will always piss off one of the two coaches/teams/fanbases. What else is new? That's the job.

100%

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 11:48:53 AM »
There was no question about the foul. It was clear as day. Trice said after the game he committed a stupid foul and Gard said it was a clear foul.

No controversy in the matter at all.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 12:00:32 PM »
There was no question about the foul. It was clear as day. Trice said after the game he committed a stupid foul and Gard said it was a clear foul.

No controversy in the matter at all.

A couple people on Buckyville are complaining but most feel the same as Gard. A little more complaining about Potter getting pushed around on the FT, but even then they feel that no foul is going to be called there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 12:10:32 PM »
A couple people on Buckyville are complaining but most feel the same as Gard. A little more complaining about Potter getting pushed around on the FT, but even then they feel that no foul is going to be called there.

Lewis made the smart play. He used his lower body to push Potter under the basket rather than pushing him in the back.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2020, 12:12:00 PM »
Badgers have been using their lower body to move opponents for years.   A staple under Bo.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2020, 12:12:52 PM »

Those late-game FT rebound situations are always a bit of hand-to-hand combat, a free-for-all. Unless somebody grabs the opponent and throws him to the ground, there rarely are fouls called in those situations. Not saying that's right, but it's just the fact.

Although I think Lewis outworked Potter, there also was luck involved in the bounce the ball took to get to Justin. It happens. In the end, you make your luck and you have to take advantage when it happens. When Tiger was the best golfer in the world by a mile, he often said he also was the luckiest golfer in the world.

Autoengineer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2020, 01:15:36 PM »
It's obvious to me not only does Gard allow his guys to flop on a regular basis, he and his coaching staff teaches it and encourages it. The refs weren't having it in this game. 

feedback