[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Top 55 Players in the Big East  (Read 4051 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
[Paint Touches] Top 55 Players in the Big East
« on: November 23, 2020, 11:12:33 AM »
https://painttouches.com/2020/11/23/20-21-top-55-players-in-the-big-east-55-31/

Took a little longer than usual but the 5th annual top players in the Big East is done. Dividing it into three sections this year 25-15-15 and will release one every day leading up to the season.

2/5 of MU's representatives appear in this first section.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Top 55 Players in the Big East
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 11:18:33 AM »

Took a little longer than usual but the 5th annual top players in the Big East is done. Dividing it into three sections this year 25-15-15 and will release one every day leading up to the season.

I hope you're right that Jamal is better than Theo.  If so, I think we'll be closer to second in the BE than sixth.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 11:31:02 AM »
My only real disagreement is what appears to be severe underrating of Kyky Tandy.

Obviously there are two sides of the ball but I think at the very least hes Xaviers second best offensive player. And definitely will be top 5 on that team.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »
Jamal plays better with Greg so I am hopeful he can step up. I still wish he redshirted sophomore year but...

Opposing teams will go right at Theo.  Wojo may have to roll out a zone.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 11:43:38 AM »
Jamal plays better with Greg so I am hopeful he can step up. I still wish he redshirted sophomore year but...

Opposing teams will go right at Theo.  Wojo may have to roll out a zone.

Doesn't mean much now unless you think Jamal woulda got way better sitting than year than playing some. It appears if Jamal wants and there is a role, he can be here next year regardless.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 11:51:31 AM »
Doesn't mean much now unless you think Jamal woulda got way better sitting than year than playing some. It appears if Jamal wants and there is a role, he can be here next year regardless.

My comment was about development and confidence as the article pointed out. He stepped way back sophomore year on both. He could have used the development.

The extra COVID year notwithstanding, I am not so sure that many will take this in any regard or if coaches will want them to. 

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 03:31:22 PM »

I look forward to this list. Thanks for producing. 

I agree with almost all the rankings so far.

The only few I would question are no Ky Ky Tandy, I thought he did well as a freshman reserve and not sure the Gardner Webb kid starts over him.  AJ Reeves may be a bit too low , although you point that out in the article. I think he does get back to his earlier form. Also , Jamari Sibley will take some time to acclimate to the Big East and thus he may not deserve to be on this list at this point. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 04:21:06 PM »

The extra COVID year notwithstanding, I am not so sure that many will take this in any regard or if coaches will want them to.

Players who have a real shot at the NBA or very high-level European leagues will probably bolt. But it seems like a great opportunity for other kids to get a free masters degree (or at least a great head start). I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see any (or all) of MU’s three seniors come back.

The bigger question is whether coaches will want all their ‘extra year’ players back. It could create real headaches from a scholarship/roster management standpoint. I suspect transfers will become even more common than usual.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »
I think Cain will come back, because Greg Elliot will still be here.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 09:38:19 AM »
Regarding KyKy Tandy, him vs. Nate Johnson was the 5th/6th best player on a team question that I struggled with the most. I went with Johnson because I really tried to avoid over-rewarding scoring. You can see that in some of my other rankings, Nate Watson for one and you'll see it in James Bouknight when his ranking comes out. Tandy really only did one thing for Xavier last season and that was score. He added nothing on the boards, didn't really distribute, and was a solid but not great defender. Plus, his scoring wasn't the efficient, again not bad, but not something remarkable either. I do think he'll take a big jump and I think by the end of the season he will be outplaying Johnson. Johnson is just a little more polished right now. But transfers from low majors are hard to judge so I could be completely off.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 11:04:49 AM »
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 06:50:21 PM »
I think you're really underrating Bouknight. In the last 10 games, his usage, efficiency, and rebounding were all up while his turnovers were down. His PORPAGATU! was top-50 with Marcus Zegarowski as the only returning Big East player ahead of him. The more he played, the higher his usage, the better he got. I think the hype is deserved.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 10:27:04 PM »
A lot of good write ups on the 30 -16 players .

I thought Denzel Mahoney and Damien Jefferson were particularly spot on.

I hope you are correct about Dawson. I tend to give freshman a little bit more runway time to adjust. Players with Henry Ellenson instant impact are rare . When I compare the two, Dawson has better shooting skills.  However , Henry was much more rugged and had an ability to dominate inside on offense and boards and his consistency was remarkable. Let’s hope by end of season Dawson can be at that same level.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 11:56:10 AM »
Regarding KyKy Tandy, him vs. Nate Johnson was the 5th/6th best player on a team question that I struggled with the most. I went with Johnson because I really tried to avoid over-rewarding scoring. You can see that in some of my other rankings, Nate Watson for one and you'll see it in James Bouknight when his ranking comes out. Tandy really only did one thing for Xavier last season and that was score. He added nothing on the boards, didn't really distribute, and was a solid but not great defender. Plus, his scoring wasn't the efficient, again not bad, but not something remarkable either. I do think he'll take a big jump and I think by the end of the season he will be outplaying Johnson. Johnson is just a little more polished right now. But transfers from low majors are hard to judge so I could be completely off.

Really enjoy these rankings. Thanks for all of the effort in putting it together.

I think Freemantle from X will far exceed expectations this year. I wouldn't be shocked to see him as a double-double or darn close to it player.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 11:58:33 AM »
TAMU

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 12:07:00 PM »
https://painttouches.com/2020/11/25/20-21top-55-players-in-the-big-east-15-1/

Part three of three is live. Happy opening day!
Great job on Part 3. Glad to see after all these years you have finally embraced Christian Bishop.

Thanks again for doing this, and looking forward to the mid season report.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 12:12:16 PM »

I will point out that Johnson did get the opening day start and Tandy came off the bench...of course he has 18 points and 5 assists so he's already proving me wrong
TAMU

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 07:41:47 PM »
Looks like number 53 on this list, Jamari Sibley,  has not played for Georgetown the first three games. Coaches Decision. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/ncaa/patrick-ewing-holding-back-freshman-jamari-sibley-when-hes-ready-play

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 09:39:25 PM »
Wonder where Justin Lewis would place in an updated list.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 10:32:23 PM »
Looks like number 53 on this list, Jamari Sibley,  has not played for Georgetown the first three games. Coaches Decision. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/ncaa/patrick-ewing-holding-back-freshman-jamari-sibley-when-hes-ready-play

Ewing has played only three of his five freshmen. These three are a combined 2 for 16 from the field after three games.

That's important, because five of Georgetown's top six scorers are seniors or grad transfers.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 10:41:22 PM by DFW HOYA »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 04:49:13 AM »
Wonder where Justin Lewis would place in an updated list.

Unranked, and based on the criteria, justifiably so. It only looks at the 5 projected starters for each team.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.