[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Road Kill  (Read 9964 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Road Kill
« on: December 04, 2020, 08:31:03 PM »
Will start a post game thoughts thread in the absence of Tower.

Loved, loved Wojo’s rotation tonight. Give the keys to Carton. Give Greg a few more minutes, especially when we need more energy.

Jamal has been solid all year, except when he has to dribble. So straight up and stiff.

Dawson will be good, but he has to get used to the physicality. He brings the ball down and lets defenders size him up.

Terrible play by Dexter to save the ball. But he’ll contribute this year.

Love that we can turn teams over this year, while also not giving up straight line drives to the bucket over and over.

Koby much better when he can defend and play off the ball versus running the offense.

Like Symir much more as a change of pace guy for a couple minutes. He seemed to push the pace more rather than stand and let his defender crowd him.

Am I missing anything else?

Oh yeah. Justin freaking Lewis is a stud.

Also, Tower is much better at this than me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
Re: Road Kill
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 08:32:34 PM »
Hardly Davison
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 08:33:19 PM »
Hardly Davidson

Was just going to say. He has yet to make a field goal in Fiserv Forum. Never will, unless he redshirts next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 08:33:42 PM »
Dawson did a floor slap on defense!!

#floorslap

Loved the intensity today, especially at the end.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 08:34:26 PM »
That was a great game start to finish. I thought the defense shined most of all. Lewis played like the best player on the floor for nearly the entire half.

Wojo did not take timeouts at the end of the game and it worked out. I would’ve called the timeout, but I can’t criticize when it works out. Great win, and I hope for more of the same. We have seen signature wins during the Wojo era which have led to nothing. Let’s we if it’s different this time.

Also, not to diminish the win, but how in the hell was Wisconsin in the Top 5???

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 08:36:12 PM »
I’ve been a little disappointed with Symir so far; I thought he’d be able to create more for others. He seems a little hesitant so I’m hoping he has a big game here soon to break out.

Love that Davison was a complete non-factor tonight. I haven’t hated an opponent more since Devendorf.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 08:37:41 PM »
Loved the no time out. 
Ludum habemus.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 08:39:12 PM »
anytime a Badger possession ends with a Davison three attempt, the defense won the possession.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 08:39:20 PM »
We also were consistently torched by out of timeout plays drawn up by Gard. Including a 3 with 5 seconds left that could’ve beaten us.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 08:39:54 PM »
The small runs of PT have had some nightmarish plays but i actually see extreme potential in Dexter. Just rusty really costly mental mistakes mostly

And Greg, deserves a true bench role. Should not have DNP first halfs.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 08:40:20 PM »
Loved the no time out.

+1. Big fan of that. Especially with a guy like DJ who seems to understand pace better than anyone we’ve had in a while.

anytime a Badger possession ends with a Davison three attempt, the defense won the possession.

Or any field goal attempt. 0-for his career in Fiserv.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 08:42:00 PM »
Wow what a game. Lewis is my new favorite player. Lottery pick?? Alright too soon...wisc is very good and this will propel us. Love it. The ups and downs this week...whew!

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 08:43:53 PM »
I’m not sure we win this game without the OSU loss on Tuesday.  We were the Badgers’ first non-cupcake game, and they weren’t ready for us.  Really good bounce back for MU.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 08:44:15 PM »
Carton over Symir big difference.  Once he starts hitting some threes and making those floaters, he will be dangerous.  Those last two drives to the basket were ridiculous.  Maybe just rusty or something, but a big improvement on the floor.

Garcia is not bashful to take the three ball and still confused as to getting his shots blocked.  Very impressive though.

Minutes between Theo, Garcia, and Lewis will be interesting.  So far it has worked out fine.  Believe tonight was the most Lewis played due to Theo's foul issue.

Wojo must see something in Dexter.  He got playing time again, while Perez did not.  Kid built like a tank.

Amazing how much better team can play when you make only 11 turnovers ( I think), as opposed to 24. 

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 08:49:05 PM »
I’m not sure we win this game without the OSU loss on Tuesday.  We were the Badgers’ first non-cupcake game, and they weren’t ready for us.  Really good bounce back for MU.
This is a good take.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 08:50:46 PM »
Carton over Symir big difference.  Once he starts hitting some threes and making those floaters, he will be dangerous.  Those last two drives to the basket were ridiculous.  Maybe just rusty or something, but a big improvement on the floor.

Garcia is not bashful to take the three ball and still confused as to getting his shots blocked.  Very impressive though.

Minutes between Theo, Garcia, and Lewis will be interesting.  So far it has worked out fine.  Believe tonight was the most Lewis played due to Theo's foul issue.

Wojo must see something in Dexter.  He got playing time again, while Perez did not.  Kid built like a tank.

Amazing how much better team can play when you make only 11 turnovers ( I think), as opposed to 24.

Good thoughts. Although Garcia has been the opposite of impressive the last 2 games. He needs to play more around the perimeter and attack slower guys off the dribble. Less back to the basket and more shooting. He'll figure it out as he bulks up more but he's not facing the same high schoolers anymore.

DJ starting to shake off some rust. He's really shifty and it's nice to have a lead guard with a little more size. Dexter is really filled out and seems athletic. Hope he can make an impact. Is Perez going to even get burn? Is Torrence a big east caliber player?

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2020, 08:54:04 PM »
This is a good take.

Wojo playing 3D chess while everyone here is playing checkers

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2020, 08:54:37 PM »
Was just going to say. He has yet to make a field goal in Fiserv Forum. Never will, unless he redshirts next year.
Indeed, a shout out to Floppy McNutpuncher, who finished 0-4 from the field, 0-1 on flop attempts, and missed a crucial front end of a 1-and-1 before fouling out.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2020, 09:00:19 PM »
How I feel tonight ....

February, 1974. Milwaukee Arena. Marquette coach Al McGuire leaps on top of the scorer's table and celebrates after Maurice Lucas hit a ridiculous last second jump shot to give the Warriors a one point victory over Wisconsin. In the stands almost directly opposite McGuire is Glenn Hughes, father of Kim and Kerry Hughes, Wisconsin's "Twin Towers of Power". Walking in the foreground is dejected Badger Coach, John Powless. Marquette went on to the NCAA tournament and finished second overall. Hank Raymond's reaction is priceless too.

Notice Mr. Hughes "salute" to Mr. McGuire.  Anytime you can get Bucky fans this upset, you have my utmost respect.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2020, 09:03:08 PM »
Front page of ESPN.com.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 09:05:15 PM »
Woaahhahhaahaha Shots all around. hell yeeee1!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2020, 09:06:48 PM »
We also were consistently torched by out of timeout plays drawn up by Gard. Including a 3 with 5 seconds left that could’ve beaten us.

We defended the Badgers’ last play perfectly. Trice hit a contested, fadeaway midrange jumper off of one foot.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2020, 09:08:32 PM »
Akanno is thicc
Lewis is a beast a both ends with a never-ending motor
Garcia looks slow and weak but you can tell he has basketball skill
Pushing the tempo continuously works wonders
Wojo's use of timeouts QUICKLY to stop runs was outstanding
If Carton can turn the corner on hitting a few more buckets, look out
Exceptional depth/everyone knowing their role

Edit: I understand that good guards make your team better in college bball, but Garcia/Lewis/Theo could be a hell of an inside trio for the rest of the season
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 09:19:02 PM by jesmu84 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2020, 09:09:08 PM »
We defended the Badgers’ last play perfectly. Trice hit a contested, fadeaway midrange jumper off of one foot.
Agreed. This whole "good defense" thing, haven't seen it before in Wojo's tenure. It's nice, it turns out.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2020, 09:10:38 PM »
MU played good defense against OK St.    OK St played better defense and turned turnovers into points.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.