[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo post OK St  (Read 6547 times)

tower912

• All American
Wojo post OK St
« on: December 02, 2020, 05:46:17 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silent Verbal

• All American
Re: Wojo post OK St
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 06:00:00 PM »
“College basketball is a lot harder than it looks on tv.”

Translation:  “Fans can criticize if they want, but they never played and don’t know what they’re talking about.”

Press conferences have never been Wojo’s forte.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 06:07:17 PM »
I'm as Nojo as they come but I thought he said all he could've said.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 06:14:50 PM »
I'm as Nojo as they come but I thought he said all he could've said.

Maybe this is my sour Nojo glasses right now, but I wasn’t very impressed. The gist I got from it was “our players didn’t execute.” His response to the first question about the zone was about as good as our response to the zone itself.

I’m always struck at how many time he will say something in a huddle and the players do something different. That popped into my mind when he was saying they needed to get the ball in the middle and the paint. However, we ran our offense at half court and barely got into the paint.

I’m not sure what the disconnect is, but it seems to happen a lot.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 07:11:49 PM »
The issue is now...why is this something that Marquette cannot figure out?
Last 4 years have all been lackluster, same issues, same excuses. Nothing has seemed to improve year to year and that is frustrating.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 07:53:07 PM »
Maybe this is my sour Nojo glasses right now, but I wasn’t very impressed. The gist I got from it was “our players didn’t execute.” His response to the first question about the zone was about as good as our response to the zone itself.

I’m always struck at how many time he will say something in a huddle and the players do something different. That popped into my mind when he was saying they needed to get the ball in the middle and the paint. However, we ran our offense at half court and barely got into the paint.

I’m not sure what the disconnect is, but it seems to happen a lot.

Has he lost the team three games into the season?

I'm only half sarcastic on this one.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 07:57:49 PM »
He hasn't.   You can draw up the greatest sets in the history of basketball, but if nobody does it nobody scores.    MU moved the ball against UAPB's zone.    The length of OK St messed them up.   Great ball movement against Pine Bluff, terrible ball movement against OK St.   The defensive length was the difference.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 12:47:19 AM »
This is a team with a lot of good parts that haven’t played together much.  They will get better. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 05:55:02 AM »
I agree with Wojo.  While it is fun, as a fan of basketball, to play coach...it's true people have no idea what the job entails and the skill/preparation needed to get to that level.  Based upon that understanding, I've always said he should simply be judged on wins/losses and the character of the program.  Love our guys..and I like Wojo...but he can't win consistently.

Vogue 66

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 06:04:30 AM »
He hasn't.   You can draw up the greatest sets in the history of basketball, but if nobody does it nobody scores.    MU moved the ball against UAPB's zone.    The length of OK St messed them up.   Great ball movement against Pine Bluff, terrible ball movement against OK St.   The defensive length was the difference.

Yes, and the team tried to win with talent vs. plays.  They played at a faster pace than they could control.  How do you ask a team to play "harder" but a touch slower and under better control?

In game adjustment is easier said than done.   How do you adjust against "defensive length"?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 06:47:34 AM »
Yes, and the team tried to win with talent vs. plays.  They played at a faster pace than they could control.  How do you ask a team to play "harder" but a touch slower and under better control?

In game adjustment is easier said than done.   How do you adjust against "defensive length"?

I'm pretty sure there's someone whose paid around $2 million per year to answer those exact questions.

If they can't control the pace, why are they being coached to play so fast? If the team can't increase effort without getting sloppy, why are they not being coached to understand the difference between playing hard and playing out of control? If they aren't able to adjust to defensive length, who is responsible for recruiting the players that don't have the ability to adjust to that height, especially when one of the strengths of this Marquette team is its length?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 06:53:50 AM »
“College basketball is a lot harder than it looks on tv.”

This quote really rankled me. Yes, it is, and that's why Marquette pays you so much money to do it! And that's why we have such high expectations for our program! We get it, your job is hard, but you're the one who chose to do it and who took on that responsibility, so when you can't produce the results we are paying for, you are the one who has to acknowledge you aren't doing that job.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 06:58:39 AM »
Has he lost the team three games into the season?

I'm only half sarcastic on this one.
Probably has lost the team. Same guy who lost the Hausers, who are doing very well, thank you
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 07:49:03 AM »
To back to back zinger posts Brew. Spot on. Thin skinned Wojo cannot handle fair criticism and always responds with by immediately attacking those who dare to question his performance. He reminds me of someone. Hmmm.

Dodds' standard litany of excuses includes "we're a young team", injuries (only Marquette has to deal with those, dontcha know?), and "tired legs" among other go-to explanations for meltdowns. Let's not add opponents' length to the list.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 07:50:32 AM »
To back to back zinger posts Brew. Spot on. Thin skinned Wojo cannot handle fair criticism and always responds with by immediately attacking those who dare to question his performance. He reminds me of someone. Hmmm.

Dodds' standard litany of excuses includes "we're a young team", injuries (only Marquette has to deal with those, dontcha know?), and "tired legs" among other go-to explanations for meltdowns. Let's not add opponents' length to the list.

Tired legs is and will always be the most hilarious excuse. As if tons of other teams don't run 8 man rotations while playing 2 or 3 games a week.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 07:58:50 AM »
This quote really rankled me. Yes, it is, and that's why Marquette pays you so much money to do it! And that's why we have such high expectations for our program! We get it, your job is hard, but you're the one who chose to do it and who took on that responsibility, so when you can't produce the results we are paying for, you are the one who has to acknowledge you aren't doing that job.

Nothing new, Brew

Just start the video at 4:30.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbjD7Yf0f00

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 08:22:49 AM »

This is taken out of context. Wojo said that in response to the question of what do you tell your younger players after a game like that. It was not said in defense of his performance as coach. If it was the latter I would agree with Brew.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 08:32:28 AM »

Wojo was responding to a question about what do you tell the young players. He wasn’t complaining. This is good answer to that question. You got popped in the mouth because you thought you could play sloppy. It is only going to get harder if you don’t play/work harder. In high school you can get away with sloppy play but in college it is a lot harder. Good learning lesson.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:35:14 AM by BallBoy »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 08:42:09 AM »
I understood it that he was letting his young guys know that not everybody is EIU or Pine Bluff.    Lots of good teams out there.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 08:55:26 AM »
"we're evolving", "growing pains", "younger guys", 'grow up quick."
Back to the We're Young excuse.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 09:03:38 AM »
Well, if his team improves during the course of the year, and plays their best basketball headed into the tourney, and doesn't fall off a cliff like the past few years, I'll give him a pass

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 09:07:35 AM »

“People don’t like when I use that woooord.”—Wojo, a few seasons ago (in the most sarcastic, defensive voice you can possibly imagine).  Can’t remember what press conference that was.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 09:15:13 AM »
Guys, do not get dismayed.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2020, 09:15:38 AM »

The funny thing is that he could use the exact same excuses if he coached Oklahoma State. And he would have even gotten to talk about playing on the road.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2020, 09:33:47 AM »
What would be an acceptable press conference from Wojo?  I honestly wonder if anybody has ever seen a press conference from any other coach after a loss.  Do you really think he's going to come out and say, "We came out strong but I took too long to adjust to their zone.  When we finally did come up with our plan, the guards couldn't get the ball into the middle of the zone, and when they did the guys in the middle of the zone weren't strong with the basketball and turned it over, and we saw no leadership from our upperclassmen."

Wojo sucks.  If it weren't for covid or some great season that isn't coming this year he should be gone.  But this is the same press conference about 95% of college basketball coaches would give.  Not to mention, everything he said is true.  We have 6 new players out of 11 scholarship players on the roster.  We missed 2 weeks of practice due to shutting the program down.  If you didn't think things would get sloppy at times before January, you're delusional.

feedback