[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: WOJO HAS TO GOJO  (Read 35216 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: WOJO HAS TO GOJO
« Reply #300 on: December 04, 2020, 12:42:46 PM »
So you fire Wojo, that’s fine, but who are you bringing in to replace him? Secondly, you guys all blame Wojo, isn’t MU paying 4 other coaches as well? Does Rob Judson bring anything to the table? Or is Wojo such a control freak they bring nothing to the table? Al had Hank, does it not work that way any more?

I don't accept your first sentence as a reason to keep Wojo. If I think I no longer want my current coach, I am not letting "fear that the next guy might suck too" convince me to keep a coach I no longer want.

And while I think Wojo probably could use at least one more experienced, talented assistant ...

1. That would largely be Wojo's choice, so him not having one is also on him.

2. It's always the head coach's responsibility. He gets credit for success, blame for failure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #301 on: December 04, 2020, 01:10:01 PM »
Far be it for me to interrupt the squabbling, but you all realize you've been arguing the same points over and over and over for the last year, and probably longer. 
Does anyone believe you're going to change anyone else's mind?

Carry on.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #302 on: December 04, 2020, 02:26:23 PM »
All the coaches I listed (except Amaker) had postseason success at their respective schools. Wojo was/is already an outlier in that regard.  Wojo is also unique (to my knowledge) where he finished back-to-back seasons five of six games and six of seven games.  I don't think there are any other present high major coaches (that were ranked in the top-25) to have accomplished that feat. 

The difficulty in finding a comparable to Wojo is that there really aren't many that have similar circumstance (experience, success, level of program).  Regardless of what MU chooses to do, this season, next season, whenever, if it bases its decision to make a change on whether or not the coach is bad enough to warrant being fired, then the program is already headed down a difficult path.  It's either a long-term fit or it isn't.

Yes (well Tubby didn't either but that's not the point), but the schools still waited until a year where they didn't make the NCAAT (or in Howland's case had off the court issues) to fire them.

It's fine to be of the opinion that Wojo should have been fired already. Just recognize that you are of the opinion that Marquette should do something that only one other non-blue blood has done in the past 20+ years (and it worked out great for the one coach that was fired and terrible for the school that did the firing). Schools can't afford to spend millions to fire a coach every few years because they didn't like the manner in which the coach earned their NCAA at large berth.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #303 on: December 04, 2020, 02:53:40 PM »
Yes (well Tubby didn't either but that's not the point), but the schools still waited until a year where they didn't make the NCAAT (or in Howland's case had off the court issues) to fire them.

It's fine to be of the opinion that Wojo should have been fired already. Just recognize that you are of the opinion that Marquette should do something that only one other non-blue blood has done in the past 20+ years (and it worked out great for the one coach that was fired and terrible for the school that did the firing). Schools can't afford to spend millions to fire a coach every few years because they didn't like the manner in which the coach earned their NCAA at large berth.

Who cares if only one non-blue blood has done it, or none, or a hundred?  It’s like when Kevin Cash got burned after removing a brilliant Blake Snell from Game 6 of this year’s World Series; the analytics said take him out, but sometimes you have to go with your gut.  One more tournament loss without a win and Wojo should be gone.  It won’t happen because of the pandemic, so he’ll get another year regardless of the results.

When would the right time to fire Wojo have been?  A first round exit last year.  That would’ve been the right time, but the season got shut down.

Do you think Wojo can get it done here?  Do you honestly think he’s earned two more years?

One more thing:  Marquette wouldn’t be “spending millions every few years because we don’t like the manner the coach got their at large bid”.  MU hasn’t fired a coach in over twenty years.  They’ve fired two coaches in the last 40 years. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 02:57:46 PM by Silent Verbal »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #304 on: December 04, 2020, 04:31:34 PM »
Do you think Wojo can get it done here?  Do you honestly think he’s earned two more years?

To your first question, I don't know but since the end of last season I am closer to the No than I am to Yes.

To your second question, he definitely earned this year. I don't know if he's earned next year or not, it depends on how this season goes.

One more thing:  Marquette wouldn’t be “spending millions every few years because we don’t like the manner the coach got their at large bid”.  MU hasn’t fired a coach in over twenty years.  They’ve fired two coaches in the last 40 years.

I understand that, but that is what some are advocating for. Unless you think that their expectations for the next coach will be different than their expectations for Wojo.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #305 on: December 04, 2020, 08:21:36 PM »
I'll give Wojo this one. This was a coaching win. Took advantage of the reffing by continually going downhill early. Good defensive gameplan, good job balancing Theo's fouls, and let Ford be the guy that was taking threes (that's who you take your chances with). Rode Lewis when he was clearly feeling it. Kept pushing inside all night long, both with the bigs & with Carton.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #306 on: December 04, 2020, 08:39:57 PM »
Right on, Brew. See comments in Extend Wojo, or game thread. So pleased with this I can't keep my posts straight.