[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo  (Read 5336 times)

MU24

• Starter
Re: Wojo
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2020, 10:24:01 PM »
Fandom does not = lack of criticism leveled towards a team or its coaches. Thats why we are fans; we get angry at losses and ecstatic with wins.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2020, 10:26:32 PM »
Fandom does not = lack of criticism leveled towards a team or its coaches. Thats why we are fans; we get angry at losses and ecstatic with wins.

I respect that. What I respect less are the guys who ONLY show up after losses to rip and whine, and who are unwilling to give any credit or even to show up after big wins.

They live to get angry, but they don't share in the ecstasy. That's not being a fan; that's being a jerk (or worse).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2020, 11:03:04 PM »
I respect that. What I respect less are the guys who ONLY show up after losses to rip and whine, and who are unwilling to give any credit or even to show up after big wins.

They live to get angry, but they don't share in the ecstasy. That's not being a fan; that's being a jerk (or worse).

+1
That’s just a sad way of life

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2020, 11:03:25 PM »
Singing his praises tonight! But tomorrow I'm still off the train

Edit: if there's good to come against UCLA without a flop in non con I'll hop on board
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 11:53:46 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2020, 11:37:59 PM »
I predicted that we would do well to keep from losing by more than 20. Wojo is to be congratulated for a great plan which was implemented extremely well. Despite our youth we played with discipline and unselfishness. Unlike last year we distributed everything - points, rebounds etc. Good use of timeouts and good substitutions and clock management. Good win to build on -- hope we do so. Very tough games for the rest of 2020.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2020, 06:24:42 AM »
Last night was awesome. Definite credit to Wojo for the game plan. Yes, Lewis & Carton came up big, but this was a coaching win.

That said, this was a team that was never going to press or zone us. How will we handle it when we face athletic teams like Providence or St John's that have the athleticism to exploit our weaknesses? How will minutes be balanced? Wojo has a tendency to stick to his guys as the season goes on, even when they aren't delivering. Will he use the depth this roster has? Will the defense hold up when teams like Creighton and Villanova are shooting better than Bucky's 7/24 from three?

In short, will Wojo respond to his critics the way coaches like K & Wright did when they started to feel their seat getting a little warm, or will he continue to be the guy we've seen for 6+ years, able to deliver the occasional huge moment but unable to sustain it for a full season?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2020, 08:15:52 AM »
He started DJ, when I feared he wouldn't.   He has a 9 man rotation.  Produce or sit.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2020, 08:31:14 AM »
Other than one substitution of Dawson for JL, after Justin made a big hoop, I thought it was a good job of coaching by Wojo.  I know the substitution was being made before the play, but after JL scored, Wojo should have pulled someone else and left Justin in.  But great win.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2020, 08:50:20 AM »
Where are all the NOJO’S tonite. Board is pretty quiet.!!!
same low IQ coach. Other than 4-3 in 7 matchups vs RED, Sentiments unchanged.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2020, 08:51:26 AM »
Other than one substitution of Dawson for JL, after Justin made a big hoop, I thought it was a good job of coaching by Wojo.  I know the substitution was being made before the play, but after JL scored, Wojo should have pulled someone else and left Justin in.  But great win.

That was my gut reaction when Wojo made the sub, but after thinking about it for a second ... Lewis had come in early due to Theo's fouls and had played about 6 straight minutes, and he had just committed his second foul. And we wanted a fresh Lewis for the stretch run. Getting him a few minutes rest there wasn't the worst idea.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2020, 08:53:07 AM »
Reviewing always helps me.
Review the great victories.
Review the games we were pitiful.
Take away what we did right in the great victories.
Make sure we don't repeat what we failed to do in the pitiful defeats.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2020, 08:53:48 AM »
Last night was awesome. Definite credit to Wojo for the game plan. Yes, Lewis & Carton came up big, but this was a coaching win.

That said, this was a team that was never going to press or zone us. How will we handle it when we face athletic teams like Providence or St John's that have the athleticism to exploit our weaknesses? How will minutes be balanced? Wojo has a tendency to stick to his guys as the season goes on, even when they aren't delivering. Will he use the depth this roster has? Will the defense hold up when teams like Creighton and Villanova are shooting better than Bucky's 7/24 from three?

In short, will Wojo respond to his critics the way coaches like K & Wright did when they started to feel their seat getting a little warm, or will he continue to be the guy we've seen for 6+ years, able to deliver the occasional huge moment but unable to sustain it for a full season?

Legit questions. We need to be ready for any zone and any press. Those situations are almost 100% on the coach and his assistants. So we'll see.

DarkWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2020, 09:59:15 AM »
I feel WOJO has spent the last several years trying to build a foundation of culture and excellence that the great programs all have. This takes time to do it right! His players see stability, sincerity and a genuine family experience. That is not built by changing coaches every 3 years in the  hope of securing the golden ring. He has at times proven to be an imperfect game time coach but anyone watching has seen meaningful progress. That said he coached a rock solid game against the Badgers. His recruiting is well above average and he has brewed a very nice assembly of players for us now. By next year if we can retain our best players I predict we flirt with the Top 10 for the whole season and compete effectively in the tournament. At that point we will be worrying who is going to lure WOJO away.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2020, 10:54:20 AM »
same low IQ coach. Other than 4-3 in 7 matchups vs RED, Sentiments unchanged.

While I don't agree with your conclusions, this is an important point. As fun as last night was, it was only one game in a coaching resume going back over six seasons. It probably moved the needle more than any other individual game in that resume, but its still only one game.

The important thing is that this gives Marquette a signature non-conference victory in a season where those will be very hard to come by due to the shortened season. That gives a lot more leeway in Big East play to make the dance and earn a higher seed. It would be nice for Wojo to get the 0 NCAAT wins monkey of his back.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2020, 11:59:28 AM »
While I don't agree with your conclusions, this is an important point. As fun as last night was, it was only one game in a coaching resume going back over six seasons. It probably moved the needle more than any other individual game in that resume, but its still only one game.

The important thing is that this gives Marquette a signature non-conference victory in a season where those will be very hard to come by due to the shortened season. That gives a lot more leeway in Big East play to make the dance and earn a higher seed. It would be nice for Wojo to get the 0 NCAAT wins monkey of his back.
This how I feel. One regular season game, no matter how good of a win, cannot be a definite “I told you so”. Like TAMU says Wojo’s body of work is evaluated on 6+ years at this point and it’s still highly underwhelming even when you throw last night in the mix.

If we can string this together into a season of achievements (i.e. top 3 BE, BET run, NCAAT run) we might have an “I told you so” on our hands. But right now, we just don’t.

I appreciate all the bridge trolls with less than 100 posts all time coming out to call me out personally though, but you’re not getting rid of me that easily.

As a final thought - I don’t want anyone to think I didn’t enjoy that win as much as the rest of our fanbase. I have siblings and friends that are Bucky alums and I care a lot more about shoving it in their faces than shoving it in ProJos faces. I’ve been to 3 Wojo’s 4 Bucky wins now including the massacre at the Kohl Hole. I’m a fan - I just have a different opinion about what’s best for our team.

feedback