[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DJ Carton  (Read 2315 times)

DoctorV

• All American
DJ Carton
« on: November 25, 2020, 11:49:06 PM »
Not sure where to start.

The talent and skill is instantly obvious.

You look at that stat line and the first thought is that he did way more than that, he was way more than that.

That said, he wasn’t the DJC we expected. Nothing I saw says he leads the team in MPG (everyone predicted that) and the NBA first rd pick that is visible but almost an illusion

So,
Option 1- way too soon, need more time but not sure how it’ll go

Option 2- dude has elite vision and obvious athletic ability to split lanes and make a difference. Perfect for the organizationally sound but unathletic B10 but not so sure about how it’ll work in the BE.

Option 3- way too soon, good as advertised and just a matter of time

Poor thread for I don’t really know what we’ve got.
My opinion is that I’ve never seen a guy with such a poor stat line affect a game so much in the positive, and I want more. Bring it on DJC

Thoughts?

MU82

• All American
Re: DJ Carton
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 12:00:06 AM »
R-E-L-A-X
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 12:00:31 AM »
Not sure where to start.

You look at that stat line and the first thought is that he did way more than that, he was way more than that.

That said, he wasn’t the DJC we expected. Nothing I saw says he leads the team in MPG (everyone predicted that) and the NBA first rd pick that is visible but almost an illusion

So,

Option 2- dude has elite vision and obvious athletic ability to split lanes and make a difference. Perfect for the organizationally sound but unathletic B10 but not so sure about how it’ll work in the BE.

My opinion is that I’ve never seen a guy with such a poor stat line affect a game so much in the positive, and I want more. Bring it on DJC

Thoughts?

The first sentence of Option 2 combined with Option 3
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 12:04:50 AM »
Real solid first two responses, agreed

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 12:08:53 AM »
Carton and Dawson are the two best players on this team. Not even close.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 12:10:28 AM »
Option 3.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 12:31:51 AM »
Carton's combination of passing and speed is unlike anything we've had in a PG for a very long time. Loved watching him

His 3P shooting looked good, just didn't fall tonight.

His drives that ended in passes were beautiful. Didn't love the ones where he decided to take it himself.

He would have had like 4 or 5 more assists if his teammates hit the wide open shots he gifted them.

Defense looked very good against very bad competition.

Carton has been away from organized basketball since January. I think it may take a few games to shake off the rust. I still assume that he will end up as our best player.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 01:41:58 AM »
Geez, first game of the season, against a cupcake, during a pandemic. Team won by 40, Carton was very good.

Maybe I have too much time on my hand since I got laid off, but why would anyone have anything to bitch about after this game. Go drink, eat good food, enjoy MU beating the $hit out of a team.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 04:27:41 AM »
I thought he looked like the quickest player on the court just didn’t come together in a solid stat line, maybe plays at a notch up from his teammates as far as pace, which will be great when the guys all gel around that. He’s really smart on D, and his offense showed some wow potential. I think he’s going to be excellent, but let’s revisit my optimism after a Big East game or three.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 06:50:41 AM »
Some of his dishes were fumbled or ended in free throws.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 07:40:02 AM »
Carton's combination of passing and speed is unlike anything we've had in a PG for a very long time. Loved watching him

His drives that ended in passes were beautiful. Didn't love the ones where he decided to take it himself.

He would have had like 4 or 5 more assists if his teammates hit the wide open shots he gifted them.

Carton has been away from organized basketball since January. I think it may take a few games to shake off the rust. I still assume that he will end up as our best player.

The bolded isn't 100% on him, and is partially around him being new to the program. When a PG like him drives, his teammates need to know where he expects them to cut/go. A couple times players just stopped and watched (residual Howard effect), they will get a better feel for cutting where they need to.

When the other players don't cut to the right place, the PG can get left a bit in no-man's land and have to take the shot himself...can also happen when the defense intelligently cuts off the passing lanes.

Bottom line, not concerned.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 08:38:35 AM »
Dare I say his problem in offense made me recall Blue's struggles, like 21 said playing too fast.
Goal is National Championship

mu35577

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 08:46:41 AM »
You guys are stull playing checkers while Wojo is playing chess. DJ can't go to the NBA if he's not getting all of the minutes to showcase his talents.
"Give 'em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 09:30:35 AM »

Great take, TAMU.

Except for the couple of wild drives he made where he hurtled his body toward the hoop with absolutely no chance to score -- including one where it appeared for a moment that he had gotten hurt -- I loved watching him play.

Like you, I expect that DJ will be our best (and most valuable) player.

I really loved the way he anticipated a couple of passes to get us from D to O in an instant. We haven't regularly had steals at the top lead to easy attempts in a few years now, not since JJJ. With DJ, a healthier Elliott, and some active bigs, maybe we'll get some more. It's nice to get a few hoops a game without having to work so hard from a set offense.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 10:24:34 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 10:04:11 AM »
Not sure where to start.

So,

Thoughts?

Option 3

In a normal season, I might argue 1 or 2. But the team had a two week shutdown and the normal integration plan that gets everyone functioning as a cohesive unit wasn't there this year.

As Brother MU says R-E-L-A-X.

feedback