[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Which new roster addition will most exceed expectations?

Dexter
9 (6.9%)
DJ
8 (6.2%)
Dawson
10 (7.7%)
Oso
13 (10%)
Justin
69 (53.1%)
Jose
19 (14.6%)
Luke
2 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Author Topic: Biggest darkhorse among new guys  (Read 4690 times)

1SE

• All American
Biggest darkhorse among new guys
« on: November 25, 2020, 04:37:23 AM »
Lots of new faces on the roster this year. By the end of the season, which one is the biggest surprise vis-a-vis pre-season expectations? Note this isn't a "who will be the best" poll - but instead who ended up having a much bigger role/making a much bigger contribution than is expected by the "conventional wisdom"?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MUDPT

• All American
Re: Biggest darkhorse among new guys
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 07:13:48 AM »
I’ve been in Lewis’s camp since Borzello’s observations during USA basketball stuff.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 07:15:47 AM »
I think they are all going to have their moments.   I think they are all going to be needed.   Relative to the hype?  Perez.   Going from redshirt to major contributor.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 07:51:52 AM »
I think the expectations are relatively high for both DJ and Dawson. It will be difficult for either of them to exceed expectations, therefore not dark horses at all.
I voted for Justin. What I’m hearing is very positive.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 08:22:03 AM »
Wow, not sure you can say that here.  Just imagine if others had titled this thread, all chit would bust loose, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 08:27:08 AM »
I'm expecting Justin to have a big impact. One of the first guys off the bench and able to provide some relief at the 4/5 in small ball lineups.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 08:33:38 AM »
Wow, not sure you can say that here.  Just imagine if others had titled this thread, all chit would bust loose, aina?

“Dark horse” also a compliment, is used for someone who is unassuming, not expected to step up, but turns out to have surprisingly good abilities. ... If you describe someone as a dark horse, you mean that people know very little about them, although they may have recently had success or may be about to have success.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 08:51:10 AM »
“Dark horse” also a compliment, is used for someone who is unassuming, not expected to step up, but turns out to have surprisingly good abilities. ... If you describe someone as a dark horse, you mean that people know very little about them, although they may have recently had success or may be about to have success.

4ever clearly needs a safe space. His widdle snowflake feelings are pretty fragile.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 08:52:13 AM »

The "open letter to muscoop" guys have been in a tizzy lately

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 08:54:54 AM »
I think the expectations are relatively high for both DJ and Dawson. It will be difficult for either of them to exceed expectations, therefore not dark horses at all.
I voted for Justin. What I’m hearing is very positive.

I agree on all counts. For DJ or Dawson to exceed expectations in a significant way, they'd need to make all-conference first team. Doable, but not likely.

I voted for Justin.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 09:33:54 AM »
I went with Jose. I think many people are justifiable skeptical of his sophomore year numbers, but his freshman year was a thing of beauty. The difference between the two years was that Perez had much better talent around him as a freshman. I think he ends up earning first guy off the bench type minutes.

I think expectations for DJ are so high that it will be hard to exceed them. He may even underwhelm simply due to the bar that's been set for him.

I honestly believe that Dawson is as good as advertised. He may slightly exceed the already high expectations we have.

I agree with the herd that Lewis will likely exceed expectations and would be my second pick behind Jose.

Dexter, I just don't know what to expect after this bout with COVID. Really hope he is okay.

I think Oso ends up being somewhat underwhelming in his first season. He's got a lot of potential but I think in a normal year he would have redshirted to work on some things.

I've heard that Fizluch is actually good enough to hang out there. Not in a "he should get regular minutes" kind of way but in a "if the worst happens and he needs to play we may not be totally screwed" kind of way. He's got enough offense to bring some value but I can't see him stopping anyone on defense.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 09:41:16 AM »
I went with Jose. I think many people are justifiable skeptical of his sophomore year numbers, but his freshman year was a thing of beauty. The difference between the two years was that Perez had much better talent around him as a freshman. I think he ends up earning first guy off the bench type minutes.

I think expectations for DJ are so high that it will be hard to exceed them. He may even underwhelm simply due to the bar that's been set for him.

I honestly believe that Dawson is as good as advertised. He may slightly exceed the already high expectations we have.

I agree with the herd that Lewis will likely exceed expectations and would be my second pick behind Jose.

Dexter, I just don't know what to expect after this bout with COVID. Really hope he is okay.

I think Oso ends up being somewhat underwhelming in his first season. He's got a lot of potential but I think in a normal year he would have redshirted to work on some things.

I've heard that Fizluch is actually good enough to hang out there. Not in a "he should get regular minutes" kind of way but in a "if the worst happens and he needs to play we may not be totally screwed" kind of way. He's got enough offense to bring some value but I can't see him stopping anyone on defense.

To be fair we've heard that about Gardner too and hes never gotten more than standard walk on garbage time minutes. Just saying regarding walk ins I wouldn't always buy into the "they could be good D1 players at a lower school" talk.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 09:44:34 AM »

Justin will get minutes in the paint. Is active with a BE body as a Frosh and will be needed when Theo gets into foul trouble. MU has a lot of perimeter guys but not so many ready to mix it up in the paint so the minutes will be there. Again, MU will be much offensively skewed but with a lot of minutes to share.

Also heard Luke is a pleasant surprise but in future years.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 10:01:52 AM »
I guess it comes down to what your expectations for these players are.

I expect DJ to be one of the best players in the Big East, and I think he's being totally overlooked in terms of being an Honorable Mention All Big East player.  So, based on my expectations, I don't think he can overachieve by that much.

I expect Dawson to be very solid but I'm expecting more of a Matthew Hurt freshman year than a Henry Ellenson freshman year.  I'm thinking a 10 and 5 guy, not a 15 and 10 guy.

I expect Justin to be a solid backup 5, but I don't think he'll be one of our 6 best players.  In that sense, I think he's probably the most likely to exceed my expectations because the talent is certainly there and because...

I thought Dexter would be the guy to come in and surprise the Big East.  But missing this much time, especially heading into the season, that's an uphill battle to find your minutes when everyone else is playing together.  So I think I'll be disappointed that he never really got that chance.

I expect Jose to be one of our 5 or 6 best players, and could even be as good as our 3rd best player in my opinion.  So I don't think he'll overachieve by that much compared to what I expect.

I expect very little out of Oso.  So in that sense even if he's just a solid player for 12 minutes per game, that would be exceeding my expectations.  It could happen.

So I'd go Justin 1, Oso 2.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 10:13:09 AM »
I said Oso because I have zero expectations for him, but with his athleticism, who knows?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

1SE

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 10:50:27 AM »
Yeah, I think DJ or Dawson would have to go first-team all conference - but is that any less likely to happen than Justin averaging 10 and 7 in 20 minutes per game? FWIW I did chose Justin as well - you can't teach build and he's got it.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 11:10:18 AM »
I am gonna go with Justin. As someone else mentioned, his USA Basketball reports have me pretty amped--glue guy, hard nosed, and a fun mismatch if he is at the 5.

I may eat my words on this, but I do think that Koby is going to surprise a lot of us as a post-hype player.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 11:58:19 AM »
I guess it comes down to what your expectations for these players are.

I expect DJ to be one of the best players in the Big East, and I think he's being totally overlooked in terms of being an Honorable Mention All Big East player.  So, based on my expectations, I don't think he can overachieve by that much.

I expect Dawson to be very solid but I'm expecting more of a Matthew Hurt freshman year than a Henry Ellenson freshman year.  I'm thinking a 10 and 5 guy, not a 15 and 10 guy.

I expect Justin to be a solid backup 5, but I don't think he'll be one of our 6 best players.  In that sense, I think he's probably the most likely to exceed my expectations because the talent is certainly there and because...

I thought Dexter would be the guy to come in and surprise the Big East.  But missing this much time, especially heading into the season, that's an uphill battle to find your minutes when everyone else is playing together.  So I think I'll be disappointed that he never really got that chance.

I expect Jose to be one of our 5 or 6 best players, and could even be as good as our 3rd best player in my opinion.  So I don't think he'll overachieve by that much compared to what I expect.

I expect very little out of Oso.  So in that sense even if he's just a solid player for 12 minutes per game, that would be exceeding my expectations.  It could happen.

So I'd go Justin 1, Oso 2.

If Dawson is 10 & 5 that makes him essentially Joey Hauser. I'd be pretty disappointed with that for our second McDAA since the 80s. It's still good for a freshman just hoping for a bit more.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 12:18:07 PM »
If Dawson is 10 & 5 that makes him essentially Joey Hauser. I'd be pretty disappointed with that for our second McDAA since the 80s. It's still good for a freshman just hoping for a bit more.

Same. Dawson comes off as a much more pure scorer than Joey was his frosh year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 12:48:05 PM »

I'd be great with a Joey Hauser level offensive performance...as long as it came with better defense
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 12:53:11 PM »

You could be right.  I just see DJ as the clear alpha (though I'd say he's between 15-18 ppg and not the 30 we got from Markus...), and players 2-6 or 7 are all just bunched together in terms of point production on this team.  I see Koby, Dawson, and Jose as the 2-4 scorers on this team, but I don't think any of them are going to be much over 12 ppg.

Edit: I also think Dawson will deal with foul trouble quite a bit, which I think will limit his minutes and production.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:01:17 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2020, 01:16:57 PM »
So...Luke Fizulich = Jake Thomas 2.0?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2020, 01:26:16 PM »
I hope that some of them can play defense.   I really miss that about MU hoops.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2020, 01:46:31 PM »
I hope that some of them can play defense.   I really miss that about MU hoops.

A Carton/koby/symir frontline might be your answer. Carton's defensive metrics are great. If the hype is to be believed, Symir is really getting at on that end. I think there is a lot of "grit" in the team this year for that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2020, 01:50:26 PM »
The biggest dark horse is Oso. He is the one who has the best chance of significantly exceeding everyone's expectations.

feedback