[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jose Perez Granted Waiver for 2020-2021 Season  (Read 7725 times)

Tha Hound

• All American
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 06:34:22 PM by Tha Hound »

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
Re: Jose Perez granted waiver
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 06:34:52 PM »
Huge. He's the real deal from everything I've heard inside the program. I think this team is a 5-6 seed in the tournament.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Jose Perez Granted Waiver for 2020-2021 Season
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 06:36:48 PM »
Huge. He's the real deal from everything I've heard inside the program. I think this team is a 5-6 seed in the tournament.

Wow. Didn’t even think that was an option. Wonder if his performance in practice prompted the waiver application.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mumi27

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 06:41:47 PM »
Dang this is a surprise to me but definitely a pleasant one. It’s nice to have him available if anything just to have some more depth but it also seems like Perez can provide MU with something more than just an extra body. Either way, very excited to see Jose play and ready to watch some Marquette bball

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 06:47:05 PM »
Wow. Didn’t even think that was an option. Wonder if his performance in practice prompted the waiver application.
I had heard back in June they were going to try and claim the situation in New York for his transfer, so I was quite honestly surprised it took this long but I have not stayed plugged in so can't say.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Jose Perez granted waiver
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 06:50:02 PM »

Watt tournament, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 06:50:55 PM »
Shocking. Great news. Need bodies.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 07:22:57 PM »
Good news. Was not expecting that.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 07:26:03 PM »
A pleasant surprise.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 08:05:22 PM »
That changes the dynamic some.    Brings physicality to the wing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:13:47 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 08:10:43 PM »
I have seen him workout with Lewis, Koby and Jose. He is built, bigger than Sacar.  Reminded me a little like the Big O. Physically wise, of course not as good.  With Akanno not practicing, who I  thought might start at the 3, now they have depth at that position, not sure he is quick enough to play 2 guard.  They really have a lot of different parts now. It will interesting how Wojo distributes time, has 11 kids who could start. More depth than ever.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 08:46:30 PM »
Fascinating. Didn't see that coming. Love it
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
Hearing he is Big East tough. Great news, especially early on.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 09:14:34 PM »
If I were Xavier or Butler, I'd be pissed. Hoping for the best for him.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 09:23:00 PM »
I have seen him workout with Lewis, Koby and Jose. He is built, bigger than Sacar.  Reminded me a little like the Big O. Physically wise, of course not as good.  With Akanno not practicing, who I  thought might start at the 3, now they have depth at that position, not sure he is quick enough to play 2 guard.  They really have a lot of different parts now. It will interesting how Wojo distributes time, has 11 kids who could start. More depth than ever.

Yup, huge “pickup” right before the season.

We hear the last part every year- ‘10-11 kids who could start’ and we end up with 7-8 guys that play more than 8-10mpg

He will play. My prediction on the 8/9 that play more than 10mpg this year is...
DJ Carton, Symir, Greg at the 1/2
Koby, J Perez, J Cain at the 2/3/4
D Garcia, J Lewis at the 4/5
Theo at the 5

I listed them in the order of most minutes played per group imo.

I see Akanno with his time missed and redshirt status (despite summer hype) and Oso- from what I’ve seen in practice videos and read- as guys that don’t factor in the rotation early and perhaps through February or later in the season. Those guys may factor in late at the expense of development and injury or lack of production from some of the others.

This is great for the team and if it hurts anyone it is Jamal and Greg imo, but those guys have been great for MU b-ball despite extent of role and I don’t think that will change now.

FWIW my biggest surprise of the year is #2 Justin Lewis. I said when these guys were recruited that I feel like Lewis will become a fan favorite, and I think it’ll happen fast. I also think Dawson will get heavy minutes- more scoring but much more volume- and so will theo obviously. That pretty much fully fills in the 4/5 with some minutes trickling to the 3.

I think Carton and Symir will combine for a near 100% share of the 1 spot minutes (id guess 65/35 split by seasons end with Sy getting more early as DJC integrates) and Koby, Perez, Greg/Jamal taking the 2/3 minutes. If I were to guess I’d say Jamal and Greg get the lowest of these, with Jamal getting more than Greg. I also think the Detroit fellas will get more minutes early and it’ll decrease as the season progresses but it’s in their hands to keep the minutes, which would be pleasant for Woj. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 09:42:42 PM »
Yup, huge “pickup” right before the season.

We hear the last part every year- ‘10-11 kids who could start’ and we end up with 7-8 guys that play more than 8-10mpg

He will play. My prediction on the 8/9 that play more than 10mpg this year is...
DJ Carton, Symir, Greg at the 1/2
Koby, J Perez, J Cain at the 2/3/4
D Garcia, J Lewis at the 4/5
Theo at the 5

I listed them in the order of most minutes played per group imo.

I see Akanno with his time missed and redshirt status (despite summer hype) and Oso- from what I’ve seen in practice videos and read- as guys that don’t factor in the rotation early and perhaps through February or later in the season. Those guys may factor in late at the expense of development and injury or lack of production from some of the others.

This is great for the team and if it hurts anyone it is Jamal and Greg imo, but those guys have been great for MU b-ball despite extent of role and I don’t think that will change now.

FWIW my biggest surprise of the year is #2 Justin Lewis. I said when these guys were recruited that I feel like Lewis will become a fan favorite, and I think it’ll happen fast. I also think Dawson will get heavy minutes- more scoring but much more volume- and so will theo obviously. That pretty much fully fills in the 4/5 with some minutes trickling to the 3.

I think Carton and Symir will combine for a near 100% share of the 1 spot minutes (id guess 65/35 split by seasons end with Sy getting more early as DJC integrates) and Koby, Perez, Greg/Jamal taking the 2/3 minutes. If I were to guess I’d say Jamal and Greg get the lowest of these, with Jamal getting more than Greg. I also think the Detroit fellas will get more minutes early and it’ll decrease as the season progresses but it’s in their hands to keep the minutes, which would be pleasant for Woj.

Do not count out Greg. He’s one of their toughest kids and just makes plays when he gets opportunities.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 09:58:59 PM »
Good point. I didn’t mean to discount the two Detroit fellas, and looking back I see that they played close to 20 mpg last year which surprised me, but I think that this seasons team has much more depth.

MU is losing two guys that played 33mpg and another that played 25mpg (Bailey) so it’s foolish to assume that the next highest minutes guys- Jamal and Greg- will decrease in minutes.

Someone has to play those minutes and with a ton of first timers chances are that greg and Jamal play a lot early. I guess I should’ve said those are my contribution predictions for late season time, but if Jamal and Greg play closer to that 20mpg mark or higher that actually could be good for the season overall, even if it’s not for future development

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 10:08:24 PM »
Nice. Looking forward to seeing him play.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 10:10:33 PM »
Good point. I didn’t mean to discount the two Detroit fellas, and looking back I see that they played close to 20 mpg last year which surprised me, but I think that this seasons team has much more depth.

MU is losing two guys that played 33mpg and another that played 25mpg (Bailey) so it’s foolish to assume that the next highest minutes guys- Jamal and Greg- will decrease in minutes.

Someone has to play those minutes and with a ton of first timers chances are that greg and Jamal play a lot early. I guess I should’ve said those are my contribution predictions for late season time, but if Jamal and Greg play closer to that 20mpg mark or higher that actually could be good for the season overall, even if it’s not for future development

Staying healthy is the issue for Greg. But if he finally can do so through a season, think he’ll be a steady contributor.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 10:51:51 PM »
Wow—great news!
This eases the sting of the Dex situation.
Can’t wait to see the boys this week.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 03:35:33 AM »
Staying healthy is the issue for Greg. But if he finally can do so through a season, think he’ll be a steady contributor.
Do not count out Greg. He’s one of their toughest kids and just makes plays when he gets opportunities.
Good points . I would also point out that Greg is the one kid on the team that is an extension of the Head  Coach on Court personality with that toughness and competitiveness . The Coaching staff highly value what Greg brings to the table .

From the clips we have seen he has healed enough to make those fast inside cuts and looks ready to go.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:24:47 AM by Trump Loves The Big East »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 07:43:55 AM »
He is built

Yes, he seems to have a version of the six-pack abs.

This definitely halps the Dex situation. Seems like it's been a year and a half since MU Bball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 09:37:43 AM »
Anyone wondering if Jose's waiver has anything to do with Dexter's situation...and whether it might be a sign that Dexter's "covid-related illness" is more severe than we know?

The consensus here and elsewhere is that the decision is a surprise. Others have also mentioned recent denials at Xavier and Butler, both of which seem to reflect NCAA's typical hard-line stance on sitting out a year.

So what's the difference?

There obviously could be non-covid factors that none of us know about. Or it could be just a case of the NCAA's inconsistent application of its own rules. But the surprising nature of this last-minute decision, coupled with Dexter's illness and recent waiver denials at other schools, make me wonder.

FWIW - I hope this isn't the case, both for Dexter's sake and the team's. Just looking for some way to understand it....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 10:40:41 AM »
The consensus here and elsewhere is that the decision is a surprise. Others have also mentioned recent denials at Xavier and Butler, both of which seem to reflect NCAA's typical hard-line stance on sitting out a year.

Actually, the reason Stanley and Hodges are notable is because for the most part, the NCAA has been granting the vast majority of waivers. The hard line stance is mostly gone, but those are two notable exceptions.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 11:48:38 AM »
A more physical Lockett?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback