[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hot dog toppings  (Read 5382 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Hot dog toppings
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2020, 05:31:28 PM »
I just had a chili dog last night!

High quality natural-casing hot dog from a company called Hofmann's (they sell 'em in 6-packs at our local Publix, but here's a link: https://hofmannsausage.com/just-german-franks-small.html) ... topped with my wife's home-made chili (we had a big bowl of it the night before, but I made sure I put some aside cuz I knew I was gonna have a chili dog the next day) ... chopped onions ... shaved cheddar ... on a quality hot dog bun.

Wow, it was good.

Otherwise, when no chili is available, I'm a basic guy -- spicy brown mustard, sweet relish, onion. Sometimes I'll dice a tomato and throw it on there, too. Never ketchup, though I have nothing against those who use ketchup; several of my family do.

+++

Related ...

When we lived in Chicago, my son worked at a Lincoln Park place called America's Dog, right across the street from the Children's Hospital. Started as just a peon when he was a teen but eventually became asst manager and then manager for a couple years. Their schtick was that they had dogs from all around the country (supposedly): Chicago, NY, Philly, Buffalo, Detroit, etc, etc, etc. I tried a few and they were all good -- as good as any in town -- because they used very high quality dogs and fresh buns. Great onion rings, too. When Children's decided to move downtown, the owner knew his main clientele would be gone, so he ended up getting out of the business.

We didn't live far from Hot Doug's and I liked their dogs but I thought they were a little overrated. I mean, they were hot dogs, certainly no better than where my son worked. Their schtick was that on Fridays they had duck-fat fries. People would start lining up when they opened on Fridays for those ... but I thought they were very greasy and somewhat limp. I like a nice crisp fry.

Wieners Circle's dogs are fine. And they certainly have their own schtick. I always thought Portillo's served a solid dog. At lunch time, the Vienna Beef place on Damen served dogs - quite good.

You really just wanted a Hummel's hot dog.
🌭

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2020, 05:42:59 PM »
I think I've enjoyed just about any combo of hot dog toppings I've had. Love a full Chicago dog, don't mind a simple ketchup only, always up to try something different.

Plain yellow mustard is overrated, so I'd never go for one that only has that. Unless the alternative was no hot dog. (Or plain. Whoever said that is a monster.)

If you're in Chicago, and they're serving Vienna Beef, the worst you can get is a B- hot dog.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2020, 05:46:28 PM »

-If you grew up in Chicago or the burbs, the best hot dog place will always be the one you went to as a kid. For me, that was Tommy’s in Glendale Heights. Recipe is still the same today as it was 30 years ago. It’s not the best, but for me, I enjoy still because it’s a total comfort meal.

Can't believe we lived down the street from you and never heard of Tommy's.

What was your opinion of WeeDee's Wienies?
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2020, 05:47:27 PM »
You really just wanted a Hummel's hot dog.
🌭

Or Super Duper Weenie

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2020, 06:27:38 PM »
Forgot about Paradise Pup. Good call, Dish!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 06:37:07 PM »
Can't believe we lived down the street from you and never heard of Tommy's.

What was your opinion of WeeDee's Wienies?

We lived in Glendale Heights until I was 10, then moved to Carol Stream. WeeDee’s (assuming the North Ave location, there’s now one in St. Charles) was pretty good if memory serves me. Scooby’s was always ok, and over priced. Although their raging war war with Cascade Drive In was always funny.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2020, 06:50:29 PM »
We lived in Glendale Heights until I was 10, then moved to Carol Stream. WeeDee’s (assuming the North Ave location, there’s now one in St. Charles) was pretty good if memory serves me. Scooby’s was always ok, and over priced. Although their raging war war with Cascade Drive In was always funny.

Yes, I shamefully admit to sneaking Scooby's into the drive-in.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2020, 07:25:19 PM »
I know it’s hot dog toppings as the topic, here’s my unofficial Chicago hot dog place takes.

-If you grew up in Chicago or the burbs, the best hot dog place will always be the one you went to as a kid. For me, that was Tommy’s in Glendale Heights. Recipe is still the same today as it was 30 years ago. It’s not the best, but for me, I enjoy still because it’s a total comfort meal.

-To me, SuperDawg is the best hot dog in the Chicago area. Fries are so key to a good dog, SuperDawgs doesn’t disappoint.

-Portillo’s dog is solid and reliable, has more snap than most other places.

-Gene & Judes gets my “Overrated” chant.

-My wife (when we were dating) lived by the old Hot Doug’s location (before the fire burnt it down). Always thought the hype was too much, and while good, not worth the wait.

-Paradise Pup in Des Plaines is quality.

Places that wrap the fries in the hot dog, I don’t mind getting just ketchup on the dog then. The heat from the dog/fries melts the ketchup into the fries, it’s enjoyable in my opinion.

Gene and judes is overrated as a dog but so many great memories there.

Agree on superdawg

Anybody been to Woolfys? Pretty solid
Maigh Eo for Sam

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »
Gene and judes is overrated as a dog but so many great memories there.

Agree on superdawg

Anybody been to Woolfys? Pretty solid
Gene and Judes is highly overrated, Superdawg is fantastic because of the fries. Woolfy’s is well above average, but Mickey’s in Bellwood, (and to a lesser extent, their Villa Park location) is the best hot dog I’ve had in the Chicagoland area.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2020, 08:09:35 PM »
Slaw dog or nothing.  Sounds weird but is delicious.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2020, 10:39:32 PM »
Gene and Judes is highly overrated, Superdawg is fantastic because of the fries. Woolfy’s is well above average, but Mickey’s in Bellwood, (and to a lesser extent, their Villa Park location) is the best hot dog I’ve had in the Chicagoland area.

I swear you suburbs people just make up city names sometimes.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2020, 12:00:38 PM »
Yep, that's the one.

Hopefully the place got your date in the mood!

Pretty sure dat depends on da size of da dog, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2020, 12:37:12 PM »
Most interesting regional hot dog I have ever had is the Seattle Hot Dog with Cream Cheese & Sauteed Onions + Sriracha. Weird as hell but it works and is good.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2020, 09:23:03 PM »
My grandmother used to mail Hummel's hot dogs to my great uncle in California and to my great uncle in Myrtle Beach.  Both great uncle's said there were no good hot dogs in either location.  My uncle also in Myrtle Beach asked me to send also and of course I did

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2020, 01:46:02 PM »
Most interesting regional hot dog I have ever had is the Seattle Hot Dog with Cream Cheese & Sauteed Onions + Sriracha. Weird as hell but it works and is good.

I had it with jalapeno instead of Sriracha. I was into it.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2020, 08:45:52 AM »
How about Sonoran Dogs? They are popular in AZ, Mexican style hot dog, wrapped in bacon in a bolillo roll with beans, jalapenos or salsa verde, avocados, etc. Can't go wrong with anything wrapped in bacon.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2020, 08:58:35 AM »
How about Sonoran Dogs? They are popular in AZ, Mexican style hot dog, wrapped in bacon in a bolillo roll with beans, jalapenos or salsa verde, avocados, etc. Can't go wrong with anything wrapped in bacon.

That's enough toppings that it's hard to imagine. I'll hunt one down next time I'm in the SW. Sounds, though, like a great take on a chili dog.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2020, 11:17:13 AM »
Busch Stadium in St Louis has bacon wrapped hot dogs with french's onions and bbq sauce. Really good.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2020, 01:07:59 PM »
Busch Stadium in St Louis has bacon wrapped hot dogs with french's onions and bbq sauce. Really good.

No fake white cheese tho?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2020, 02:37:54 PM »
No fake white cheese tho?

f-ing provele. most disgusting food adjacent item ever. vile vile vile sh!t. 
But I like to throw handfuls...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2020, 02:57:22 PM »
f-ing provele. most disgusting food adjacent item ever. vile vile vile sh!t.

+1
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2020, 06:47:25 PM »
Love Superdawg but hate that nuclear green relish.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2020, 07:36:44 PM »
Love Superdawg but hate that nuclear green relish.

Nearly every Chicago hot dog place uses that.

I used to work for a vending company that sold sandwiches out of their machines that were made at our commissary.

One time we got a spate of phone calls from our vending sites saying that the tuna sandwiches in the machines were all moldy.  Turns out that this particular time, the tuna salad was made with this neon green relish, and people thought it was mold.
Have some patience, FFS.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2020, 08:39:25 PM »
My favorite Chicago dog places were Little Louie’s in Northbrook (my moms side of the family lives there) and then Murphy’s (RIP) at Belmont and Racine which is where I lived when I was in Chicago.

Now that I’m back in Detroit Lafayette Coney Island is the spot. And Leo’s...you can never go wrong with Leo’s
Bring back FFP!!!

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2020, 08:42:11 PM »
I can walk to Wolfy’s, and I generally get the jumbo char with relish ( not nuclear green) and onions. My neighbor swears by the chili dog. We do a group socially-distanced walk there every now and then, our last backyard distanced gathering involved Wolfy’s.
True story -I was at the Salt Lake Olympics -local paper ran a story saying that they were running out of hot dogs, people were buying them like crazy and they had to order more from the supplier in Wisconsin,  I said to my companion, gotta be Usinger’s -and it was!

feedback