'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East COVID Updates  (Read 8752 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Big East COVID Updates
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »
When is the rest of the BE schedule going to be announced? 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2020, 11:53:30 AM »
When is the rest of the BE schedule going to be announced?

That's been a frustration. I like to release previews in the order we play teams, but the lack of a full schedule means it's just kind of random now.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2020, 12:10:46 PM »

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2020, 01:41:01 PM »
We don't deserve sports.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2020, 03:17:40 PM »
Pfizer said they’d have 50 million doses ready in December alone. Seems like they’ll get approval too. December 1st give everyone in college basketball the shot and then again on January 1st. Conference season and post season saved. Final Four here we come

Remember that most of these vaccines require two doses, so 50 million doses only covers 25 million people.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »
That's been a frustration. I like to release previews in the order we play teams, but the lack of a full schedule means it's just kind of random now.

It's pretty clear to me that the BE will be bubbling in January.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2020, 06:12:14 PM »
It's pretty clear to me that the BE will be bubbling in January.

Yup. And I'm guessing they will have two weeks between the end of the season and start of the tournament to get everyone into Indy and quarantined so the tourney goes off without a hitch.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2020, 08:43:37 PM »
Yup. And I'm guessing they will have two weeks between the end of the season and start of the tournament to get everyone into Indy and quarantined so the tourney goes off without a hitch.

Yes, Captain Obvious Moment from me. Sooo appreciate your write-ups and insights!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2020, 09:50:26 PM »
We don't deserve sports.

And sports don't deserve us.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2020, 09:00:47 PM »
So how much interaction is there between the UCONN Men's and Women's programs?  I know that at least for MU, in social media videos posted of the team lifting weights and such you can occasionally see members of the women's team, or men's lacrosse etc. in the background.  Would/could they have have purposely separated all teams to avoid an all sports suspension?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2020, 12:47:34 AM »
Yeah a bubble would definitely work. But until its announced that it something they are going to legitamately aim for, this current plan is doomed to fail.

They work but conferences are hurting financially which is why none have set one up yet. The loss of tourney revenue from 2020 (NCAA and BET) is really hitting them hard. harder than member institutions. For the BE to bubble 20+ people, per school, for a month, and put on 200+ games (if they are looking at a full schedule) would be ridiculously expensive and conferences have recognized it.

You have to cut down travel. I wouldn’t go as far as the Patriot League has but doing 2 game weekends (e.g., MU hosts PC Friday and Sunday) instead of the normal home and homes is probably the best scheduling model.

The optimism I hold is for what Rothstein calls “the Golden Window.,” during breaks when other students are not around over break. Then we have the closest thing to a bubble.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:52:40 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2020, 07:58:12 AM »
I agree with you Billy.  The NBA had the money to make it work.  I doubt the conferences make enough with basketball to make it worth their while.  (BTW, a full schedule of BE games only equals 110.)

Think about it this way.  The BE makes $40 million a year through its television contract with Fox.  For teams to get adequate rest AND play a full time schedule, that would require a bubble of six weeks.  Probably more like 7 or 8 if you include a BET too.  Also, Fox is going to have to agree to this.  Do they want all those games shoved into a six to eight week timeframe when they have three months of programming to fill?

The other option is that the BE does what it might do now.  Hope for the best.  And if 1/3 of the games get cancelled, that is still a more profitable option than a bubble with a full schedule.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2020, 08:04:05 AM »
Well, the players could get this if they really get sick, but it will more likely go to folks like me who are over 65.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/business/money-report/regeneron-will-provide-300000-doses-of-covid-treatment-for-u-s-by-early-january-ceo-schleifer-says/2741034/

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2020, 02:16:30 PM »
Butler has placed all basketball activities on hold after a positive test from Wednesday following their opener with Western Michigan. Their Sunday game against Eastern Illinois has been postponed. No additional timetable yet.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2020, 02:55:05 PM »
If out for 14 days. NKY would be canceled. Leaves then one day to get ready for Kansas State.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Viper

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2020, 03:10:18 PM »
I am joking
don't worry about it, you’re fine. No explanation needed. This Fluffy character? Self-righteous and angry. Probably aka Mike Lovell.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2020, 03:17:47 PM »
don't worry about it, you’re fine. No explanation needed. This Fluffy character? Self-righteous and angry. Probably aka Mike Lovell.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard Mike Lovell described as either of those things. But maybe it is him!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2020, 08:11:38 AM »
And now Creighton released a statement they are shutting down and will not be playing in the Crossover Classic in Sioux Falls (Battle for Atlantis replacement). Not sure how many games they will be missing or when they will resume play.
They never did indicate how long they would be shutdown for but the shutdown appears to be over as they just announced they'll be playing NDSU on Sunday, FS1.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2020, 10:01:42 AM »
Not a new Covid case in the BE...but an example of Nova showing scheduling creativity when a near future opponent announces a Covid issue. A few other teams around the NCAA have done this, and I suspect it will be the 'new normal' for this season.

Villanova wins Empire Classic, extends stay in 'Bubbleville' by adding game vs. Virginia Tech on Saturday

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/villanova-wins-empire-classic-extends-stay-in-bubbleville-by-adding-game-vs-virginia-tech-on-saturday/

Temple was scheduled to play Virginia Tech on Saturday at Mohegan Sun, but that game could no longer happen. Plus: Villanova was scheduled to play at home vs. Temple on Dec. 3. The Wildcats and Hokies both needed to fill a game on the schedule. They could both be in Uncasville. The stars aligned.

So, according to a source, at 8 p.m. Saturday, Virginia Tech will play No. 3 Villanova at Mohegan Sun Arena. Due to the volume of football games on the slate, Villanova-Virginia Tech is scheduled to be played on ESPNews.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2020, 10:04:11 AM »
They never did indicate how long they would be shutdown for but the shutdown appears to be over as they just announced they'll be playing NDSU on Sunday, FS1.
The announcement of NDST came out days ago. Was update in the TV thread.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2020, 11:00:39 AM »
This seems like great real time thinking.  If a pair of games get cancelled because one of each games team tests positive, it would leave the two unaffected team available to play each other.  Only issue may be travel to get to the site quickly enough.  Makes for interesting game preparation.

Not a new Covid case in the BE...but an example of Nova showing scheduling creativity when a near future opponent announces a Covid issue. A few other teams around the NCAA have done this, and I suspect it will be the 'new normal' for this season.

Villanova wins Empire Classic, extends stay in 'Bubbleville' by adding game vs. Virginia Tech on Saturday

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/villanova-wins-empire-classic-extends-stay-in-bubbleville-by-adding-game-vs-virginia-tech-on-saturday/

Temple was scheduled to play Virginia Tech on Saturday at Mohegan Sun, but that game could no longer happen. Plus: Villanova was scheduled to play at home vs. Temple on Dec. 3. The Wildcats and Hokies both needed to fill a game on the schedule. They could both be in Uncasville. The stars aligned.

So, according to a source, at 8 p.m. Saturday, Virginia Tech will play No. 3 Villanova at Mohegan Sun Arena. Due to the volume of football games on the slate, Villanova-Virginia Tech is scheduled to be played on ESPNews.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2020, 11:51:15 AM »
FS1 is not showing the Xavier game due to health guidelines?   I apologize if this has been addressed but what is the reason behind that?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2020, 12:03:12 PM »
FS1 is not showing the Xavier game due to health guidelines?   I apologize if this has been addressed but what is the reason behind that?

Tv production crew.
-Bill Walton

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2020, 12:08:30 PM »
Crew tested positive?

feedback