Academic All Americans by MU82
[Today at 07:39:55 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuggsyB
[Today at 07:38:00 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by MU82
[Today at 07:37:16 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 05:21:01 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dexter Status  (Read 16461 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Dexter Status
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »
Where did you see that numerous NBA players said good things about him?  I’m honestly curious—all I could find about that scrimmage was the Paint Touches article.

I think his trainer Tweeted about him fitting right in with the NBA guys he trains, and Dinwiddie replied with some nice things to say about him.

I don't expect Dexter to do anything against the Badgers.  I'd hope Wojo gives him a lot of run against UWGB, because I think this team will need him to be a contributor if they're going to do anything at all this year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2020, 01:55:21 PM »
I think his trainer Tweeted about him fitting right in with the NBA guys he trains, and Dinwiddie replied with some nice things to say about him.

I don't expect Dexter to do anything against the Badgers.  I'd hope Wojo gives him a lot of run against UWGB, because I think this team will need him to be a contributor if they're going to do anything at all this year.

Thanks.  I agree with your analysis about Dexter vs UW and UWGB.  We’ve had lower rated recruits contribute right away—Davante comes to mind—but I have low expectations for what he’ll do this year.

I don’t think we need him to be a major contributor for the team to make noise this year.  We do, however, need Carton to be as good or better than advertised.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 02:11:29 PM »
Yeah, playing him in that stretch was a huge mistake.

It's just unreal what a terrible game coach Wojo is.

We were up 8 and playing very well when Wojo put Akanno in at the 13:57 mark. Aside from garbage time, it seemed like an OK time to put him in. And during his first 1:30, he did nothing wrong while our lead grew to 19-7.

It turned out to be an unfortunate confluence -- him getting his first PT the same time OSU changed its defense. He committed two soft turnovers, missed a 3 and committed a foul over the next 2:21, during which OSU scoring its first 8 points of what would end up being a 15-0 run that put OSU up 22-19.

One certainly could argue that Wojo should have taken Akanno out sooner than he did, but all the bad stuff happened in a very short span and Wojo would have had to call time-out to do it.

And we ended up finishing the half on a 12-4 run to take a 35-32 lead at the break, so it's hard to say that Akanno's appearance was the key to the game IMHO. Given what we saw in the 2H, everybody else had plenty of troubles, including Wojo, while Dex was planted on the bench.

I was quite critical of Wojo in a couple other threads, but of his transgressions, this was pretty minor IMHO.

As others (including you) have said, I hope we don't see Dex again until GB.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2020, 02:13:28 PM »

But isn't it all just a hype man selling hype?  If your primary job is developing guards, wouldn't you try to sell that you're doing a great job so you get more people to sign up?

Always remember to follow the dollar signs, guys.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2020, 02:14:05 PM »
We were up 8 and playing very well when Wojo put Akanno in at the 13:57 mark. Aside from garbage time, it seemed like an OK time to put him in. And during his first 1:30, he did nothing wrong while our lead grew to 19-7.

It turned out to be an unfortunate confluence -- him getting his first PT the same time OSU changed its defense. He committed two soft turnovers, missed a 3 and committed a foul over the next 2:21, during which OSU scoring its first 8 points of what would end up being a 15-0 run that put OSU up 22-19.

One certainly could argue that Wojo should have taken Akanno out sooner than he did, but all the bad stuff happened in a very short span and Wojo would have had to call time-out to do it.

And we ended up finishing the half on a 12-4 run to take a 35-32 lead at the break, so it's hard to say that Akanno's appearance was the key to the game IMHO. Given what we saw in the 2H, everybody else had plenty of troubles, including Wojo, while Dex was planted on the bench.

I was quite critical of Wojo in a couple other threads, but of his transgressions, this was pretty minor IMHO.

Agree completely, except for the last point. I hope we see him in garbage time in our blowout win against UW.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2020, 02:24:29 PM »
Agree completely, except for the last point. I hope we see him in garbage time in our blowout win against UW.

I like the cut of your jib!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2020, 02:48:23 PM »
Iz Perez just takin' up space and tyme, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2020, 02:55:53 PM »
Iz Perez just takin' up space and tyme, hey?

I was wondering why they didn't bother giving him a look while everyone struggled like crazy yesterday. But I assume Wojo said "hey we didn't plan on having you this year any time you get is great but next year is your year to shine"
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2020, 03:13:20 PM »
It is a free year for Perez due to the NCAA rulings.   And we didn't know when Dexter would be ready.    Nothing lost by having him on the active roster.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2020, 04:45:21 PM »

IDK, I'm not seeing these games live (Euro time zone) but it just seems like putting in a guy who hasn't played competitive basketball in (how many years?) during the first half of your first test of the season is a pretty terrible idea. What was the point? To build his confidence? To shake off the rust? If we're up by 15 with 4 minutes left, sure, give him so run. But there was plenty of game left, and it's not like the bench is short this year.

I'm not saying Dex was personally resonpsible for the swing, but the momentum certainly shifted decisively during his time on the court.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2020, 04:47:26 PM »
He got Oso and Perez minutes in game 1, saying that he wasn't going to play 10 every game but wanted everybody to get the angst out.  Pretty sure he just wanted to get Dexter's feet wet and saw an opportunity.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2020, 06:28:27 PM »
I hope Dexter is able to overcome this bad start. You never know how something like this effects a player's confidence. We have to remember the team missed two weeks of practice and Dexter missed a lot more than two weeks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2020, 06:34:19 PM »
IDK, I'm not seeing these games live (Euro time zone) but it just seems like putting in a guy who hasn't played competitive basketball in (how many years?) during the first half of your first test of the season is a pretty terrible idea. What was the point? To build his confidence? To shake off the rust? If we're up by 15 with 4 minutes left, sure, give him so run. But there was plenty of game left, and it's not like the bench is short this year.

I'm not saying Dex was personally resonpsible for the swing, but the momentum certainly shifted decisively during his time on the court.

We will agree to disagree.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2020, 07:41:18 PM »
I was wondering why they didn't bother giving him a look while everyone struggled like crazy yesterday. But I assume Wojo said "hey we didn't plan on having you this year any time you get is great but next year is your year to shine"

Well, than Woj is a total idiot. Perez is another in a long list of mid-major transfers, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2020, 08:57:51 PM »

Well, than Woj is a total idiot. Perez is another in a long list of mid-major transfers, hey?

I hope not.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2020, 11:07:06 PM »

Agreed.  He’s 22 years old and averaged 15ppg last year.  He’s either ready to play this year, or he won’t ever be ready at Marquette.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2020, 06:42:27 AM »
Write off a guy’s 3 year MU career 3 games into it because he didn’t play in a game where MU played poorly. That’s the spirit!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2020, 07:58:56 AM »
C'mon man. Let's get real. This is turning out to be a total disaster, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2020, 08:18:56 AM »

Recruiting Jose Perez is turning out to be a total disaster because he didn't play against Oklahoma State?

Okay, I guess.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2020, 09:11:02 AM »

I'm as down about the loss as anybody and seriously not in wojos came anymore but not sure I'd go to "total disaster" till seeing how WI and UCLA work out. We handled our experienced highly rated Cupcake, handled our extra cupcakey cupcake. Got handled by a team that's rated roughly the same as us. Let's see what/if any adjustments are made before we jump to "total disaster"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2020, 02:40:34 PM »
I'm as down about the loss as anybody and seriously not in wojos came anymore but not sure I'd go to "total disaster" till seeing how WI and UCLA work out. We handled our experienced highly rated Cupcake, handled our extra cupcakey cupcake. Got handled by a team that's rated roughly the same as us. Let's see what/if any adjustments are made before we jump to "total disaster"

Can I get an Amen?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2020, 08:20:20 PM »
Dexter played again in first half. He made a mistake trying to save a ball that appeared to be off Wisconsin.
I think he is going to be really good, once he stops making mental mistakes

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2020, 08:24:08 PM »
Yeah, playing him in that stretch was a huge mistake.

It's just unreal what a terrible game coach Wojo is.

This did not age well.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2020, 03:04:47 PM »
My prediction is that we will be talking about Dexter a lot after the UW Green Bay game. I am expecting him to get enough time in this game so we can really see his talent.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2020, 10:47:56 PM »
Dex has had his opportunities in the first five games and Wojo must have seen something in him.  But, he has not stepped up at all.  Tonight, with Symir out, he was quite the disaster again.  He might have played five minutes and had no points, two turnovers and one foul.  His only shot was an airball three that Lewis luckily got in his lap and scored.  If he is going to get minutes, lets hope improvement is much sooner than later. 

feedback