'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ivy League Cancels Basketball Season  (Read 5623 times)

The Big East

• All American
Ivy League Cancels Basketball Season
« on: November 13, 2020, 09:34:02 PM »

I think this is a huge over reaction and grossly unfair to these kids who have worked their whole life for this opportunity.

No reason they can’t play games in empty gyms.

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/board/104085/Contents/ivy-league-cancels-basketball-season--154658027/

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Ivy League Cancels Basketball Season
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 09:39:59 PM »
Umm it's the IVY league, if you're  concerned about basketball after getting a free IVY education you've got something wrong with you.

Also saw a graph today that showed the current spike vs the spike during the shutdown and it's currently much much worse but yeah now it's an overreaction after thousands and thousands have died
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 09:57:34 PM »
Umm it's the IVY league, if you're  concerned about basketball after getting a free IVY education you've got something wrong with you.

Also saw a graph today that showed the current spike vs the spike during the shutdown and it's currently much much worse but yeah now it's an overreaction after thousands and thousands have died
I thought it was a mistake to cancel last season as well. Could have finished out the conference tournaments and held the NCAA on an empty gym basis.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 10:01:48 PM »
Why worry about a global pandemic when you can entertain people and make $0.00 doing it?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 10:58:40 PM »
I thought it was a mistake to cancel last season as well. Could have finished out the conference tournaments and held the NCAA on an empty gym basis.

Go to the White House maskless and tell all your friends. Maybe a week later you can post about how right you were from the icu
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 11:29:27 PM »
Go to the White House maskless and tell all your friends. Maybe a week later you can post about how right you were from the icu

Or, like Herman Cain, your family can post for you.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 11:45:34 PM »
Lots of tensions.

Keep this about hoops (even though it's probably superbar material... But I'll take any hoops news now)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 01:03:49 AM »

Not all of them get free educations. Some pay full freight. But, many wouldn’t get an Ivy education if not for basketball.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 04:27:36 AM »
The BE may have made a similar decision if it weren’t for the TV $$$.  I doubt there will be D2 or D3 championships staged in winter sports when all is said and done.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 05:59:09 AM »
I think this is a huge over reaction and grossly unfair to these kids who have worked their whole life for this opportunity.

No reason they can’t play games in empty gyms.

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/board/104085/Contents/ivy-league-cancels-basketball-season--154658027/

College basketball isn’t an essential activity and they’re in school to get an education or so I thought.

College basketball is or isn’t a business.  The leagues that have a season will be the ones reinforcing it's a business
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 07:06:53 AM »
The BE may have made a similar decision if it weren’t for the TV $$$.  I doubt there will be D2 or D3 championships staged in winter sports when all is said and done.

The difference is the Ivy's don't need the money.  Their sports programs will still be funded and fine without playing a season.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 08:23:03 AM »
In hindsight, I agree with you on the conference tournaments. The players were already there. I do not remember any Big East players coming down with the virus in the two weeks after it was cancelled. I am not sure finishing the Big East tournament would of resulted in a lot of transmission. They could of kept the players in their hotel rooms until it was time to go to their games.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 10:09:31 AM »
In hindsight, I agree with you on the conference tournaments. The players were already there. I do not remember any Big East players coming down with the virus in the two weeks after it was cancelled. I am not sure finishing the Big East tournament would of resulted in a lot of transmission. They could of kept the players in their hotel rooms until it was time to go to their games.

You’re applying November knowledge to something that occurred in March.

Ultimately the BET was irrelevant anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 11:34:15 AM »
The difference is the Ivy's don't need the money.  Their sports programs will still be funded and fine without playing a season.

Ivy programs don’t have the budgets people think. There is a huge disconnect between athletic departments and university administration. Brown is cutting sports.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 11:46:20 AM »
Villanova games may be canceled in Philly?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/philadelphia-officials-may-ban-indoor-dining-impose-other-new-restrictions-as-case-numbers-keep-rising/ar-BB1b08MN?ocid=msedgntp

This may actually not affect Villanova. The town of Villanova is a suburb of Philadelphia and located in Delaware County as opposed to the city proper, which is in Philadelphia County. They would have to play all their games at the Finneran Pavilion, but I imagine that's the plan this year anyway.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 01:57:47 PM »
You’re applying November knowledge to something that occurred in March.

Ultimately the BET was irrelevant anyway.
I did say in hindsight.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 02:01:24 PM »

My son was just on a recruiting visit to a private D3 in WI and the message was they will probably not play this year.  Testing at over $100 per test for 20 player 3x per week is just too costly for D3 programs and I would guess many D2 schools as well.
NAIA schools already have up to 6 games in they operate under different rules

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 02:43:58 PM »
My son was just on a recruiting visit to a private D3 in WI and the message was they will probably not play this year.  Testing at over $100 per test for 20 player 3x per week is just too costly for D3 programs and I would guess many D2 schools as well.
NAIA schools already have up to 6 games in they operate under different rules

The GNAC D2 conference will only have four of 10 schools competing in basketball. Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Alaska, and British Columbia schools.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 04:31:34 PM »
Why worry about a global pandemic when you can entertain people and make $0.00 doing it?

Can't the players opt out & keep their scholarship? They can choose as they want. The truth is that college basketball players, as with the vast majority of people aged 18-21, are minimally concerned.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2020, 04:33:50 PM »
Woodant bee a shocker if da college basketball season goes belly up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2020, 04:34:51 PM »
Can't the players opt out & keep their scholarship? They can choose as they want. The truth is that college basketball players, as with the vast majority of people aged 18-21, are minimally concerned.

And that’s why we’re approaching 200,000 cases every day in this country. Wild.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2020, 04:45:15 PM »

I can’t believe eight months into this that people STILL say sh*t like this.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2020, 04:46:02 PM »
Woodant bee a shocker if da college basketball season goes belly up, hey?

Pitino might be right that delaying the start of the season may be a good idea.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2020, 04:49:13 PM »
The sooner the vaccine is available, and utilized, the sooner life gets back to a semblance of normalcy. Warp speed, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2020, 05:01:09 PM »
The sooner the vaccine is available, and utilized, the sooner life gets back to a semblance of normalcy. Warp speed, aina?
Warp Speed seems to be working .  Production is in place when the vaccine is approved and then as you point out life gets back to normal.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2020, 05:34:21 PM »

Ai’na

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2020, 05:56:56 PM »

So you believe controlling the virus should be the priority?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2020, 04:00:40 PM »
Well earliest available to general public is April. Need two doses 3 months apart and about 3 months after second shot for immunity that might not last a whole year. Might have some normalcy by end of 2021, but don't expect regular normalcy.
Goal is National Championship

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2020, 06:17:43 PM »
Warp Speed seems to be working .  Production is in place when the vaccine is approved and then as you point out life gets back to normal.

Pfizer didn't take any money from Warp Speed.

The problem is, people are dying NOW.  What we need is a national lockdown for the next 4-6 weeks (with adequate funding for relief for businesses and individuals).  Those 4-6 weeks will suck, but I'll take it if it means I get 20 more years with my parents instead of a couple months.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2020, 06:55:16 PM »
One day it will be just like a miracle and disappear, Ai na?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2020, 05:55:32 AM »
Back to basketball; are we playing at the Al or FF? Hope we got a big discount to play at FF.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2020, 06:18:01 AM »
Back to basketball; are we playing at the Al or FF? Hope we got a big discount to play at FF.

FF according to social media. Listening to Simmons and Ruessilo a couple of weeks ago, NBA is looking at $4billion losses this season. For those smarter then me, does that put MU in a better or worse situation in their relationship with Bucks ownership?

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2020, 07:41:52 AM »
FF according to social media. Listening to Simmons and Ruessilo a couple of weeks ago, NBA is looking at $4billion losses this season. For those smarter then me, does that put MU in a better or worse situation in their relationship with Bucks ownership?

But is that truly $4B in "losses" or is it revenue missed out on?  I suspect the latter.  In other words, can NBA franchises still turn a profit with national and local TV\radio money and merchandise sales, even without fans?  I don't know the answer.  However I doubt that NBA owners are going to be shelling out $4B just to break even, so it's a missed opportunity more than a loss.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2020, 08:25:18 AM »

The schedule says FF.  They have had practices there.  So my guess is the FF.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • Team Whiny Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2020, 10:58:56 AM »
Lots of tensions.

Keep this about hoops (even though it's probably superbar material... But I'll take any hoops news now)

+1000
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2020, 12:05:53 PM »
But is that truly $4B in "losses" or is it revenue missed out on?  I suspect the latter.  In other words, can NBA franchises still turn a profit with national and local TV\radio money and merchandise sales, even without fans?  I don't know the answer.  However I doubt that NBA owners are going to be shelling out $4B just to break even, so it's a missed opportunity more than a loss.
It is probably pretty close to the same thing. I am not sure the owners make much money on their teams. They make most of their money as the value of franchises increase.