[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Newcomer Impact Rankings  (Read 13652 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Newcomer Impact Rankings
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 11:25:15 AM »
It's easier for UW because their scout players only pay in-state tuition.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Most Impactul Newcomer
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 11:28:35 AM »
It is hard to find quality scout team players.  Many quit after a year or two. I think a component of the  Badgers success over the years has been their ability to retain their preferred walk on by giving them scholarships at some point.

Gardiner is now 6-7 230 ,and clearly plays an effective role in practice. So the coaches feel it is worth giving a scholarship to keep him around.

I think it's probably more likely that they realize they almost certainly won't fill 2 scholarships in season with better players, so they want to reward the walk on for his hard work.  I don't think Wojo and staff are losing sleep worrying about how to ensure Gardiner is going to stay on the roster, and what they'll do if he quits the team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2020, 11:58:19 AM »
I think it's probably more likely that they realize they almost certainly won't fill 2 scholarships in season with better players, so they want to reward the walk on for his hard work.  I don't think Wojo and staff are losing sleep worrying about how to ensure Gardiner is going to stay on the roster, and what they'll do if he quits the team.

I'd just rather fill those spots with guys that can turn into something or fill a role.  That's it.  We're a couple injuries away from being super duper thin again with only 10 eligible scholarship players. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2020, 12:07:24 PM »
I'd just rather fill those spots with guys that can turn into something or fill a role.  That's it.  We're a couple injuries away from being super duper thin again with only 10 eligible scholarship players. 

You say this every year.  They aren't going to fill scholarships for the sake of filling them, especially with unknowns affecting roster size, transfers, etc.

They aren't going to take two mid year transfers.  Throwing one at a walk-on is not worthy of concern.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 12:10:58 PM »

You say this every year.  They aren't going to fill scholarships for the sake of filling them, especially with unknowns affecting roster size, transfers, etc.

They aren't going to take two mid year transfers.  Throwing one at a walk-on is not worthy of concern.

This.  And building on it, if somehow the stars align and there are two mid-season transfers that we take, would there really be much backlash about a former walk-on getting buzz cut?  It might not be great optics, but it's not like it's going to effect recruiting the way the Newbill situation did.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2020, 12:12:54 PM »

And I am going to keep saying it.  Burning scholarships is stupid way to run a program.  Disagree if you like.  I will die on that hill. 

Take grad transfers if you're worried about future roster construction.  Take on projects and move on if they don't pan out.   

MU is 2 injuries away from playing with 8 guys, 6 of could be underclassman and 4 of which have never played a minute of college basketball.  Just seem unnecessary and feels very 2014ish.  A good way to build a not very good team.     

Certainly Bailey bailing is part of the reason we're here, but Wojo has a trend of doing this, and he certainly doesn't deserve much benefit of the doubt at this point. 

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2020, 12:13:48 PM »
This.  And building on it, if somehow the stars align and there are two mid-season transfers that we take, would there really be much backlash about a former walk-on getting buzz cut?  It might not be great optics, but it's not like it's going to effect recruiting the way the Newbill situation did.

Scholarships can't be filled for a partial year.  So even if someone leaves mid year, they can't use that scholarship for half a year.

Regardless, they aren't taking two mid year transfers.  I can't think of a circumstance when that has happened previously.  And while I am certain it has happened somewhere at sometime, it's not a scenario worthy of planning for.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2020, 12:14:26 PM »
And I am going to keep saying it.  Burning scholarships is stupid way to run a program.  Disagree if you like.  I will die on that hill. 

Bitching about something that has not really been a problem is a hill you can die on.

Congrats.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2020, 12:17:54 PM »

Bitching about something that has not really been a problem is a hill you can die on.

Congrats.

lol, not been a problem? Marquette hasn't won an NCAA game since 2013.  I'd say that's a problem.  51-57 in Big East games in Wojo's tenure. I'd say that's a problem. Not winning a single NCAA game with 4 years of Markus Howard?  Again, a problem.

But feel free to continue to believe Wojo and Co can do no wrong if you'd like!!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 12:19:57 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2020, 12:20:24 PM »
Scholarships can't be filled for a partial year.  So even if someone leaves mid year, they can't use that scholarship for half a year.

Regardless, they aren't taking two mid year transfers.  I can't think of a circumstance when that has happened previously.  And while I am certain it has happened somewhere at sometime, it's not a scenario worthy of planning for.

Didn't we take Froling after Traci left?  Or did we already have another scholarship available, or do I have my timeline screwed up?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2020, 12:22:29 PM »
Didn't we take Froling after Traci left?  Or did we already have another scholarship available, or do I have my timeline screwed up?

Had an opening.  Each of your 13 scholarships can only be used 1x per year.

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2020, 12:25:04 PM »
lol, not been a problem? Marquette hasn't won an NCAA game since 2013.  I'd say that's a problem.  51-57 in Big East games in Wojo's tenure. I'd say that's a problem. Not winning a single NCAA game with 4 years of Markus Howard?  Again, a problem.

But feel free to continue to believe Wojo and Co can do no wrong if you'd like!!!

Those are problems.

None of those problems would be fixed by filling a 12th or 13th scholarship.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2020, 12:32:53 PM »
Had an opening.  Each of your 13 scholarships can only be used 1x per year.

My mistake then.  I still don't think that filling all 13 just to fill all 13 is a useful tool, especially with the way that the transfer market is trending.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »
Duke won a national title with 8 scholarship players in 2015.

Clearly, the more scholarship players you have, the better your team will be.

Imagine how good Duke could've been if they didn't waste 5 scholarships that year.  They could've actually won something.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2020, 02:39:43 PM »
Duke won a national title with 8 scholarship players in 2015.

Clearly, the more scholarship players you have, the better your team will be.

Imagine how good Duke could've been if they didn't waste 5 scholarships that year.  They could've actually won something.
Duke's 2015 team had 10 scholarship players, 8 of which went on to play in the NBA, and 4 of which were High School All-Americans.

Jahlil Okafor   
Quinn Cook   
Justise Winslow   
Tyus Jones      
Amile Jefferson   
Matt Jones      
Grayson Allen   
Rasheed Sulaimon
Marshall Plumlee

If we had a roster like that, we wouldn't need to look at mid-season transfers.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2020, 02:50:55 PM »
It is hard to find quality scout team players.  Many quit after a year or two. I think a component of the  Badgers success over the years has been their ability to retain their preferred walk on by giving them scholarships at some point.

Gardiner is now 6-7 230 ,and clearly plays an effective role in practice. So the coaches feel it is worth giving a scholarship to keep him around.

Plus Tax
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

whitykj

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2020, 02:56:26 PM »
Little does ESPN know Dexter about to pop off

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2020, 02:59:55 PM »
Duke's 2015 team had 10 scholarship players, 8 of which went on to play in the NBA, and 4 of which were High School All-Americans.

Jahlil Okafor   
Quinn Cook   
Justise Winslow   
Tyus Jones      
Amile Jefferson   
Matt Jones      
Grayson Allen   
Rasheed Sulaimon
Marshall Plumlee

That's a list of nine, and Sulaimon left the team midseason.  So they had 8 scholarship players and won a National Title.

I agree, if we had a roster like that we wouldn't need to look at mid-season transfers, but we probably would look at them given that they'd sit out and then be available for the following season.

But that's all the point.  You don't need 13 scholarship basketball players.  You need very good players that fit your program.  You don't just take any guy who will accept your scholarship just to fill 13 scholarships because you're allowed to.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2020, 03:51:48 PM »
That's a list of nine, and Sulaimon left the team midseason.  So they had 8 scholarship players and won a National Title.

I agree, if we had a roster like that we wouldn't need to look at mid-season transfers, but we probably would look at them given that they'd sit out and then be available for the following season.

But that's all the point.  You don't need 13 scholarship basketball players.  You need very good players that fit your program.  You don't just take any guy who will accept your scholarship just to fill 13 scholarships because you're allowed to.

Splitting hairs a bit, but Duke also had Semi Ojeleye on that team.  He was left off my original list.  So they went into the season with 10.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2020, 03:52:35 PM »

Jahlil Okafor   
Quinn Cook   
Justise Winslow   
Tyus Jones      
Amile Jefferson   
Matt Jones      
Grayson Allen   
Rasheed Sulaimon
Marshall Plumlee

That's not the point.  J5 thinks we should just take bodies to get up to 13 scholarship players every year and not waste scholarships on rewarding a walk-on.  He makes the same complaint every year, even though it's not been a problem. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2020, 04:05:09 PM »

That's not the point.  J5 thinks we should just take bodies to get up to 13 scholarship players every year and not waste scholarships on rewarding a walk-on.  He makes the same complaint every year, even though it's not been a problem.

I wasn't addressing JJJ, I was disputing BLM's exaggerated assertion that Duke won a Natty with only 8 scholarship players.

As it turns out, I think we all would agree that if you have a roster of 8 future NBA players, you can burn some schollies.  If you have a roster like we do, then what you do with your last couple schollies is a more legit debate.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2020, 05:02:18 PM »

I have never said Marquette should "just take bodies".  I've said we should use the 13 very valuable scholarships that the NCAA awards you annually. 

I am open to taking on projects that could turn into something as upperclassmen.  I am open to bringing in more transfers.  I am open to bringing in more role playing grad transfers.  I am not saying just fill them with garbage - clearly - as what started this conversation was my comment that handing them to a walk on is a waste!  I am saying using all 13 of your spots seems like a wise thing to do as you can strike gold.  I am also not going to lose sleep if using 13 scholarships annually means you need to make room by cutting the fat off your roster each year.  Tough luck, but such is life in highly competitive sports.  This isn't 4th grade girls volleyball.  There are plenty of other universities that would love to get Marquette's cast offs.  I don't sit in some high and mighty chair thinking that cutting college basketball players is some crime. 

I like how you keep pointing out that I bring this up each year, yet each year you clearly want to argue about it. I don't think expecting a program to do their best to fill their allocated scholarships each year with the best players they can is some monumental ask.  This won't be the first time Wojo has sported a team that is a couple injuries away from absolute disaster.  But carry on like Wojo does no wrong, FBM!

Viper

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2020, 08:31:13 AM »

agreed! ...and I forecast a 4-6 start to this season with blowout losses to UCLA and RED. Hence, insignificant mediocrity continues.

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2020, 08:36:32 AM »
agreed! ...and I forecast a 4-6 start to this season with blowout losses to UCLA and RED. Hence, insignificant mediocrity continues.

Right. None of those are fixed by filling all scholarships, which was the context of the conversation.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2020, 10:07:15 AM »
Right. None of those are fixed by filling all scholarships, which was the context of the conversation.

You can't make this case, largely because you don't know the quality of the player that we would take to fill the empty scholarship.

There is always going to be the possibility that this year's team is helped by filling all available scholarships.  Not saying it's a huge possibility--but it's not zero as would be the case if we left the scholarship open.

It won't challenge existing players for playing time. It won't become a breakout player, late bloomer, or hidden gem.  It won't give you any surprisingly strong performance off the bench. It won't help you out if you wind up with injuries. It won't come off the bench if you get into foul trouble. 

Filling available scholarships give you some chance--albeit small--that you solve a problem on this year's team.

Holding it for a mid-year transfer means that players won't possibly help until the middle of next season.