[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Sid Hartman  (Read 824 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
RIP Sid Hartman
« on: October 18, 2020, 04:30:19 PM »
Legendary Minnesota sports journalist Sid Hartman dies at age 100

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/10/18/legendary-minnesota-sports-journalist-sid-hartman-dies-at-age-100

He kept up his age-defying pace even after his 100th birthday party on March 15 was canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic. Hartman continued to write three columns per week for the Star Tribune as a centenarian, four during football season, and served as co-host of a Sunday morning radio show on WCCO-AM.

Minnesota Vikings owners Mark and Zygi Wilf issued a statement saying "our hearts are broken with the news of Sid Hartman’s passing.

“It is nearly impossible to put into words what Sid meant to the sports world and to Minnesota. He was an iconic sports figure, a tenacious reporter and a tireless advocate for his beloved state,” they wrote. “His doggedness and work ethic were unmatched, but it was Sid’s ability to nurture relationships that truly set him apart. He was a confidant and a loyal friend to countless athletes and coaches across the country."

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: RIP Sid Hartman
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 05:05:53 PM »
I lived in western Wisconsin for 7 years of my life and read and heard a lot of Sid Hartman in that time.  A Twin Cities icon and truly one of a kind.  What a life!
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 05:10:20 PM »
I’m sure nads will piss all over this for Sid’s blown story on the mouth drooling Lou Holtz.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 09:36:50 PM »
I’m sure nads will piss all over this for Sid’s blown story on the mouth drooling Lou Holtz.

Actually, a fellow former Minny scribe was the one who broke this news to me, and here were my texts in our conversation ...

“He was the last of his breed, and I say that with no sarcasm or malice.”

“He actually was quite amazing. I mean, he was a shill for power brokers and just about never took the athlete’s side - hell, he just about never took the journalist’s side - but he broke a LOT of news, and he worked his ass off. He and I became kind of ... friendly is not the right word ... maybe begrudgingly respectful of each other.”

When my friend, who is quite a bit younger than me, said that he thought of Sid as more of a character than journalist, I responded:

“He definitely is one of my all-time favorite sports characters I covered and/or got to know personally. Sid, Burns, Ozzie, Rodman, Probert, Musselman, Santo, Harry, a couple others if I think about it a bit.”

Didn’t even mention Holtz. Now that you bring it up, I probably should have.

RIP Sid. Truly one of a kind.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback