[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gregg Marshall under investigation for player abuse  (Read 5955 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Gregg Marshall under investigation for player abuse
« on: October 08, 2020, 08:35:35 PM »
Wichita State men’s basketball coach Gregg Marshall is under investigation by the university for his behavior toward current and former players in the program, sources told The Athletic.
The investigation comes in the wake of six scholarship players and a walk-on transferring in the spring, as well as a 2020 commit, Ja’Dun Michael, asking out of his letter of intent. Included in the transfers were the Shockers’ second- and third-leading scorers, Erik Stevenson and Jamarius Burton.
The allegations include physical and verbal abuse by Marshall against a player and basketball staff member, as well as a Wichita State student who parked in his parking spot on campus.

Full story, if you're a subscriber:
https://theathletic.com/2123302/2020/10/08/gregg-marshall-under-investigation-by-wichita-state-for-allegations-of-misconduct/
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:39:21 PM by Pakuni »

panda

• All American
Re: Gregg Marshall under investigation for player abuse
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 09:21:20 PM »
I mean....No duh

The guy is a psychopath. Brilliant basketball mind, but a legit crazy person.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 09:38:32 PM »
Yeah, but when he gets fired, doesn’t MU administration owe it to MU fans to at least contact him to see if he’s interested?

So sick of being mediocre.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 09:47:22 PM »
He’s well known amongst coaches a being a dick and his wife is a psycho too.

The guy is paid by Charles Koch, he’s the guy who will have to sign off on this.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 05:59:26 AM »
Another bullet dodged. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 07:34:17 AM »
Yeah, but when he gets fired, doesn’t MU administration owe it to MU fans to at least contact him to see if he’s interested?

Very nice

VegasWarrior77

• All American
SHOCKER: REPORTS REVEAL ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR BY WICHITA STATE COACH GREGG MARSHALL
https://www.outkick.com/shocker-report-reveals-abusive-behavior-by-wichita-state-coach-gregg-marshall/

by JASON KING
30 minutes agoupdated 13 minutes ago

Allegedly …

Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall punched a player in the back of the head.

He wrapped his hands around the neck of his assistant during practice and choked him in front of the entire team.

He fat-shamed a player and also cursed out a student who had parked in his designated space.

“Do you know who the unnatural carnal knowledge I am?” Marshall allegedly said

For nearly a decade now, most people have known exactly who Gregg Marshall is — one of the best coaches in all of college basketball.

He led the ninth-seeded Shockers to the 2013 Final Four and a 35-1 record a year later. Fred VanVleet, Landry Shamet, Cleanthony Early and Ron Baker earned millions in the NBA thanks, in large part, to Marshall. Seemingly every offseason, bigger programs tried to hire Marshall—who averaged 29.7 wins over a seven-year span—away with insane offers of cash. Alabama one year. Missouri the next.

But Wichita State always matched them. The Shockers knew what they had.

Or did they?

A scathing report by Stadium’s Jeff Goodman Thursday evening chronicled a pattern of disturbing behavior by Marshall. During his six-month investigation, Goodman interviewed 26 current or former Wichita State players and 10 assistants who have coached under Marshall.

“He’s a maniac, a bully,” a former Wichita State assistant told Goodman. “He disrespects people, brings up personal stuff, family, girlfriends.”

Among the most damning allegations Stadium uncovered:

* After former player Shaq Morris delivered a hard foul that knocked teammate Zach Brown to the floor during practice in October of 2015, Marshall approached Morris from behind and punched him in the head. “I know you did that on purpose to try to hurt him,” Marshall allegedly yelled.

Hours earlier, the report said, Morris had sat in Marshall’s office and cried because he’d just learned his mother had cancer. Marshall apologized to Morris in front of the team the next day.

* Marshall fat-shamed a player by raising his jersey during a workout and grabbing the player’s belly, poking fun at his girth.

* At a practice during the 2016-17 season, Marshall became irritated with assistant coach Kyle Linstead. A player told Goodman that Marshall “put his hands around Linstead’s throat and tried to choke him.” Linstead is now at Minnesota.

* According to The Athletic, in the spring of 2016, Marshall got into his car to chase down a vehicle that had been parked in his designated spot at the Kohl Center. Marshall allegedly sped ahead of the car, blocked it from leaving the parking lot and then yelled, “Do you know who the unnatural carnal knowledge I am?” at the driver. The driver responded with an expletive, prompting Marshall to exit his vehicle, approach the car and attempt to punch the driver through the window, which was rolled down.

As a result of Stadium’s reporting, Wichita State has hired a St. Louis-based law firm, Tueth Keeney, to investigate Marshall.

A former national college basketball reporter for multiple outlets, I’ve spent a considerable amount of time around Marshall and his program. For years I told people that he was on my (very) short list of favorite coaches I’ve ever covered. Yes, I knew he took a tough-love approach with his players, that he was a bit of a brow-beater. But those are the kind of coaches I like. Our society is way too soft.

I’ve had dinner with Marshall multiple times at recruiting events in Las Vegas and candid, discussions with him about his background and his coaching philosophies. Marshall is wise and worldly. He can be gruff but also incredibly kind. He’s a great father and family man who has involved his son, Kellen, with the team since he was in high school. Marshall has treated me great. I’ve always respected him, and I’m confident that most media members who have covered him regularly in Wichita —where Marshall opens up his postgame locker room to young fans seeking autographs— feel the same way.

Nationally, though, college basketball pundits bristled at Marshall. They’d hear stories about him chewing out a player and then bad-mouth him on the radio. Or they hear him snap at a bone-headed reporter during a press conference and label him a jerk. I always told them that, if they knew the real Gregg Marshall, they wouldn’t say those things.

After reading Goodman’s report, I realize that I may be the one who never knew the real Gregg Marshall. Because if these accusations are true, then … yikes. the school will have to decide whether to keep its coach and his $3.5 million contract and private plane — or let him move on.

It certainly won’t be an easy choice. Marshall has long had the support of prominent Wichita State donors and fans, most notably the Koch family. And while many players ripped Marshall in Goodman’s report, there are plenty who still love him, too.

On Friday morning, Cleanthony Early — the star of the 2013 Final Four squad —tweeted: “‘Normal’ is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly. Some are built for certain conditions. Others are not!”

When contacted by Outkick for further comment, Early said: “I tweeted my feelings on the subject. GM is my guy.”
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Already a topic in the Superbar.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 09:17:40 AM »
The anecdote about the parking spot and "don't you know who the F I am?" was straight out of the Tom Crean playbook.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 09:43:13 AM »

This.

Lot of Scoop minutes spent over the last decade on claiming MU wasn't a legitimate program because we never got a serious look from Psycho Killer Greg.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 10:45:24 AM »
The anecdote about the parking spot and "don't you know who the F I am?" was straight out of the Tom Crean playbook.

A quote from a current D1 assistant/former D1 head coach with whom I was discussing Marshall during the spring after all of the transfers (and him knowing I’m a MU grad): “he’s a psycho like Crean on the sidelines but at least Crean cares about his players off the court.” None of what Marshall did is new info amongst coaches.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2020, 10:54:12 AM »
Good article by Dauster on Marshall.

https://robdauster.substack.com/p/the-end-of-the-coaching-bully?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxNjIxNTc4NywicG9zdF9pZCI6ODczNDMyMCwiXyI6InZyMlpGIiwiaWF0IjoxNjAyMjUyNjE2LCJleHAiOjE2MDIyNTYyMTYsImlzcyI6InB1Yi03OTI1MiIsInN1YiI6InBvc3QtcmVhY3Rpb24ifQ.lWOBI8zi6IiQFwYEd0kEUJFgA6iEuVBkpzgoRWuo-EQ

This will be something to watch from afar. 

Wichita State has staked itself on its basketball program and winning is paramount.  Gregg Marshall has won big at Wichita State.  A lot of Shockers fans and boosters will rally around him regardless of what the facts are or what an independent investigation may find. It’s human nature to protect the tribe and sports fandom is very tribal.

The choice would be easy if he had subpar record there.  He doesn’t.  What does an university value?  Winning basketball games or fostering a safe atmosphere for its students?

We’ve heard the stories of coaches of yore doing similar things but this is 2020, not 1970.  This shouldn’t be a hard choice but Billy Gillespie has a job.  People still try to hire Art Briles. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 11:23:24 AM »

Wichita State has staked itself on its basketball program and winning is paramount.  Gregg Marshall has won big at Wichita State.  A lot of Shockers fans and boosters will rally around him regardless of what the facts are or what an independent investigation may find. It’s human nature to protect the tribe and sports fandom is very tribal.

The choice would be easy if he had subpar record there.  He doesn’t.  What does an university value?  Winning basketball games or fostering a safe atmosphere for its students?

We’ve heard the stories of coaches of yore doing similar things but this is 2020, not 1970.  This shouldn’t be a hard choice but Billy Gillespie has a job.  People still try to hire Art Briles.

Nah, he's done.  Five players decided to transfer after the season.  Greg has physically and emotionally abused his last basketball team for a while.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2020, 11:39:59 AM »
People aren't irredeemable.  People deserve second chances.  So in the case of Gillespie, I am fine with him having a job as long as he was sorry for his behavior, understood why it was wrong, and the steps he has taken to ensure it doesn't happen again.

But IMO you can't really get there unless you go through the fire first.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 11:55:02 AM »
People aren't irredeemable.  People deserve second chances.  So in the case of Gillespie, I am fine with him having a job as long as he was sorry for his behavior, understood why it was wrong, and the steps he has taken to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I don’t disagree but Billy has been a turd everywhere he’s gone
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 12:23:06 PM »

Quinn Snyder was a cocaine abuser and coed chaser while at Missouri. Larry Eustachy has his drinking issues at Iowa State. Both redeemed themselves after hitting bottom. But this seems to be part of Marshall’s personality and psyche.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 12:37:53 PM »

Well, it's the Koch brothers, so....

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 12:39:12 PM »
Quinn Snyder was a cocaine abuser and coed chaser while at Missouri. Larry Eustachy has his drinking issues at Iowa State. Both redeemed themselves after hitting bottom. But this seems to be part of Marshall’s personality and psyche.

Eustachy pretty much got forced out of his last job at Colorado State for promoting a culture of fear.

I agree people deserve second chances but their won/loss record determines a lot of those opportunities.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »

So Marshall just needs to get bounced for a year or two in the NBA and then shipped off to Russia and then he’s good, easy peasy
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 04:20:52 PM by JWags85 »

Its DJOver

• All American

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 08:20:18 AM »
https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article246434710.html

"In response to the allegations put forward in the media, I simply state unequivocally that I have never physically struck a player or colleague,” Marshall wrote. “Allegations claiming otherwise are false"

Got a feeling that this won't age well.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 10:38:56 AM »
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:27:58 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.