Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Butler, Jae and Buzz  (Read 4055 times)

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 06:24:06 PM by geps »

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
Re: Butler, Jae and Buzz
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 06:41:56 PM »
Good article. Buzz PR machine at work. Always helps to have MU name in the headline.

Agree. Buzz was just on Spectrum News with Dennis Krause. Buzz had a Milwaukee Brewers Hat on and was talking about Marquette’s  Butler and Crowder being in the NBA Finals and his relationships with them.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 10:23:40 PM »
Agree with the Buzz PR machine comments. And my recollection of the Butler recruitment story is that Buzz went down to watch Fulce, but was more impressed by Butler. Interestingly, it still feels a bit that if Joe hadn’t had the knee issues, he would’ve had an MU career equal to or better than Jimmy’s.

Both Jae and Jimmy have demonstrated the value of commitment and effort. Buzz played a key role...and is now groovin’ in their wake. Doesn’t surprise me.

Go Heat.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 10:32:43 PM »
And my recollection of the Butler recruitment story is that Buzz went down to watch Fulce, but was more impressed by Butler.

Your recollection is incorrect. Buzz didn’t go “down to watch  Fulce”. His relationship with and recruitment of Joe went back two or three years. Their was zero need to watch Fulce.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 07:38:25 AM »
Agree. Buzz was just on Spectrum News with Dennis Krause. Buzz had a Milwaukee Brewers Hat on and was talking about Marquette’s  Butler and Crowder being in the NBA Finals and his relationships with them.

Did he talk about his time at MU at all or just about Jimmy and Jae? I find it kind of odd that he never talks about MU but when he was here we heard all about his past stops and how his garage was painted Colorado St colors cuz that was his first big job, etc

I loved Buzz and I’d like to hear him speak about his time at MU which clearly paved the path to where he is now
Bring back FFP!!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 07:50:18 AM »
Did he talk about his time at MU at all or just about Jimmy and Jae? I find it kind of odd that he never talks about MU but when he was here we heard all about his past stops and how his garage was painted Colorado St colors cuz that was his first big job, etc

I loved Buzz and I’d like to hear him speak about his time at MU which clearly paved the path to where he is now

Buzz and Marquette did not end on good terms.  So that's probably why.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 08:23:44 AM »
Your recollection is incorrect. Buzz didn’t go “down to watch  Fulce”. His relationship with and recruitment of Joe went back two or three years. Their was zero need to watch Fulce.

I'm not saying you're wrong because I don't know, but don't coaches go to watch players with whom a relationship is already established all the time?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 08:30:13 AM »

The same Buzz that was the one living ex-coach to not show up for the 100 year celebration?    That bridge needs some serious rebuilding after the fire. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 08:30:51 AM »
I'm not saying you're wrong because I don't know, but don't coaches go to watch players with whom a relationship is already established all the time?

Buzz trusted Scott Monarch, who was an assistant at Tyler at the time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 08:31:16 AM »
Reminds me of how flipping good the Big East was in 2010-11
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 08:45:46 AM »

Sure, when they’re in high school (hand holding) and when the coach is still recruiting them. Joe had decided 2 or 3 years prior that he wanted to end up wherever Buzz landed and the feeling was mutual. Trips to Bumfrack, Tx. to schmooze or cement the relationship we’re unnecessary.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 09:05:39 AM »
There was a somewhat recent interview with Buzz where he referred to Marquette as "easily, a top-25 job in the country", which surprised me because the tone very much sounded like a significant advancement from the "the Big East and non-football schools won't be at the top levels of college basketball moving forward".  I'm very confident, because Buzz is such a writer, that he will one day write a book (likely co-oped by guys like Parish and Goodman) and go into celebration and minor details at his time at MU.  Everyone knows that the relationship did not end well, but nothing changes the level of success the program experienced while he was here. 

Speaking of Jimmy/Jae, what exactly was the rift between them that has been referenced by a few that occurred several years ago?  Was that when Jimmy was perceived as being "too Hollywood"?  It's clear that they have mended any disagreements between them now. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 09:06:56 AM »
Sure, when they’re in high school (hand holding) and when the coach is still recruiting them. Joe had decided 2 or 3 years prior that he wanted to end up wherever Buzz landed and the feeling was mutual. Trips to Bumfrack, Tx. to schmooze or cement the relationship we’re unnecessary.

Yet coaches often go and visit their recruits even after they have have committed.

You can quibble over the phrase "went down to watch Fulce" but the idea that Buzz discovered Jimmy because he was recruiting his teammate Fulce is correct.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 12:53:04 PM »
Yet coaches often go and visit their recruits even after they have have committed.

You can quibble over the phrase "went down to watch Fulce" but the idea that Buzz discovered Jimmy because he was recruiting his teammate Fulce is correct.

Yea, I thought based on the number of scholarships that opened up with Crean’s departure, Buzz offered one to Jimmy while watching Fulce. It was kind of an afterthought at the time. Did we miss out on a recruit and the Jimmy news dropped? Or was that someone else with Shumpert?

Also, I believe Gillespie was the one at UK recruiting Jimmy, who Buzz worked for.

I know DJO tweeted some passive aggressive tweets related to the TBT training camp that we thought was tested to Butler. I think Jimmy and Jae have been in a few oncourt shoving matches that have led to some speculation.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 03:25:33 PM »

I loved Buzz and I’d like to hear him speak
about his time at MU which clearly paved the path to where he is now

Was not watching that closely since I was talking with my wife, but Buzz was talking about how he first met Jae.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 03:41:16 PM »
Yea, I thought based on the number of scholarships that opened up with Crean’s departure, Buzz offered one to Jimmy while watching Fulce. It was kind of an afterthought at the time. Did we miss out on a recruit and the Jimmy news dropped? Or was that someone else with Shumpert?

Also, I believe Gillespie was the one at UK recruiting Jimmy, who Buzz worked for.

I know DJO tweeted some passive aggressive tweets related to the TBT training camp that we thought was tested to Butler. I think Jimmy and Jae have been in a few oncourt shoving matches that have led to some speculation.

Fulce committed the night Shumpert spurned us for Georgia Tech.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”