[Today at 06:05:33 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Season Starts Nov 25  (Read 42810 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Season Starts Nov 25
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 06:58:09 AM »
Immunity is not a given. There are numerous reports from multiple countries of recovered COVID patients contracting the disease again, and generally it looks like COVID antibodies only stay in the body 3-4 months, which is why vaccination might not be the guarantee everyone is hoping for, especially if they need to generate enough doses for everyone to get it 3-4 times per year.

With all the cases of football players testing positive then why are they going to play football? Also did those patients actually recover or did they have a relapse; after all the body is still producing antibodies for 3-4 months? Also there is no evidence of high rates of reinfection, if there were would already know. Even if a player tests positive and is asymptomatic why would you quarantine the whole team and cancel games? These are young healthy athletes. If however a player is sick I could see the team quarantined. Again, I would not want to be on this years NCAA selection committee.

As for a vaccine it will be at least another two years before we know if they are safe and effective and like  you I am not very optimistic as it very difficult to produce a vaccine for corona viruses. If it was we would have a vaccine for the common cold.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article245665350.html
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:08:38 AM by muwarrior69 »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 09:32:15 AM »
Also did those patients actually recover or did they have a relapse; after all the body is still producing antibodies for 3-4 months? Also there is no evidence of high rates of reinfection, if there were would already know. Even if a player tests positive and is asymptomatic why would you quarantine the whole team and cancel games? These are young healthy athletes. If however a player is sick I could see the team quarantined. Again, I would not want to be on this years NCAA selection committee.

As for a vaccine it will be at least another two years before we know if they are safe and effective and like  you I am not very optimistic as it very difficult to produce a vaccine for corona viruses. If it was we would have a vaccine for the common cold.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article245665350.html

There are cases now proven to be reinfection, where they analyzed the DNA of the two infections.

We really don't know how prevalent such reinfections are, both because of low/moderate rates of transmission in the US, and because of poor testing. It could be possible that reinfections are more common, but often result in asymptomatic, or low symptom cases that mask as ongoing recovery.

For asymptomatic individuals, they still need to be quarantined, and it would be wise to quarantine all teammates. They are still infectious, and the goal is to avoid spread to other players. The fact that they are "young healthy athletes" is meaningless. I know of a 21 year old training to compete in the olympics, that now months after infection cannot walk up a flight of stairs without sitting down to take a break.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 10:35:25 AM »
Yawn. Take the Covid talk to a Covid thread. This board is unreadable right now.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2020, 12:56:10 PM »
Hopefully, MU can work out a plan to revive the UCLA game for this season.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2020, 01:50:41 PM »
Yawn. Take the Covid talk to a Covid thread. This board is unreadable right now.
how is the season start not blank related
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 02:14:18 PM by Johnny B »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »
how is the season start not covid relatted

Just don't say covid. Put "blank" instead
Maigh Eo for Sam

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2020, 06:11:40 PM »
When will they put together a conference schedule?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2020, 10:01:38 PM »
In that scenario would you expect those games to be televised?

Yes.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2020, 06:32:29 AM »
Brew, in that scenario would you expect those games to be televised?

I would expect the networks to pick and choose, but I do think most if not all would be available, at least regionally.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2020, 06:37:38 AM »
No NBA until at least Christmas. I’d assume NHL wouldn’t start until around same time. Networks need weekday programming.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2020, 07:19:03 AM »
Why would you even play the games if they weren’t televised?  Why go through that expense?  Without TV you might as well just have UWM bus down on a Saturday afternoon. That’s the whole point of continuing with the season. To get TV $$$. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2020, 04:17:46 PM »
Why would you even play the games if they weren’t televised?  Why go through that expense?  Without TV you might as well just have UWM bus down on a Saturday afternoon. That’s the whole point of continuing with the season. To get TV $$$.

I think many will be televised, probably most in a conference like the Big East. But getting tv$$$ from the regular season games isn’t the only purpose for playing. They are also jockeying for position for what they assume will eventually be an NCAA tournament. Those games, of course, will be televised, and the source of the biggest money of all.

Ultimately, the number of regular season games that are televised will be determined by how many other sports they are competing with at the time.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2020, 10:28:48 AM »
So when can we expect a schedule?

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2020, 10:21:24 PM »
Wonder if they’ll go to one of the locations attempting to form a bubble and knock out the majority of their non-con over ~ a weeks time.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2020, 12:17:26 PM »
Do we play home games at the Al?

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2020, 12:19:41 PM »
I heard from someone over at Villanova, that the Marquette-Wisconsin game will be included as one of the Gavitt Challenge games.

Supposedly, they're really trying to stay local with those games.   Creighton-Nebraska, Rutgers-Seton Hall, DePaul-Illinois, Villanova-Penn State, Maryland-Georgetown, Xavier-Ohio State, Butler-Indiana or Purdue.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2020, 12:31:35 PM »
Do we play home games at the Al?

If they aren't letting in fans, except maybe family, it's the only thing that makes sense. Unless they are contractually obligated to play at Fiserv and the powers-that-be won't let them out of the contract.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2020, 01:13:15 PM »
I heard from someone over at Villanova, that the Marquette-Wisconsin game will be included as one of the Gavitt Challenge games.

Supposedly, they're really trying to stay local with those games.   Creighton-Nebraska, Rutgers-Seton Hall, DePaul-Illinois, Villanova-Penn State, Maryland-Georgetown, Xavier-Ohio State, Butler-Indiana or Purdue.

I feel like Depaul Northwestern's a little bit more of a local game if that's their goal. In fact a quick Apple Maps check shows Depaul to Purdue is also a shorter drive. And now that I think about it we're closer to NW than we are to UW. This whole local concept is weird
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2020, 01:20:48 PM »
If they aren't letting in fans, except maybe family, it's the only thing that makes sense. Unless they are contractually obligated to play at Fiserv and the powers-that-be won't let them out of the contract.

I'm sure there is some sort of relief built into the contract.

But Wojo might want to play there anyway due to it merely being an NBA arena.  An empty NBA arena is still cooler than an empty glorified practice gym.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2020, 01:26:17 PM »
I feel like Depaul Northwestern's a little bit more of a local game if that's their goal. In fact a quick Apple Maps check shows Depaul to Purdue is also a shorter drive. And now that I think about it we're closer to NW than we are to UW. This whole local concept is weird

It's eleven miles from Lincoln Park campus to Evanston.  It's one hundred twenty-six miles from DePaul to Purdue.    Marquette to either Madison or to Evanston is a wash, since it is both around 75 miles.  However, keeping games in-state, where possible follows more guidelines than having teams travel state-to-state - especially, in Illinois, where Wisconsin was just added to the travel ban list (which could and probably will change before the season starts anyways).

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2020, 01:29:36 PM »
And now that I think about it we're closer to NW than we are to UW.
The distances are samesies.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2020, 01:31:50 PM »
Fans generally enjoy local rivalries. I think in an environment with restricted capacities, there may be some modest TV ratings benefit that comes into consideration as well.  I think the Big East benefits from this localized structure of game this year .  In future years, when more  fans can be at the game, I think going back to matching the teams by competitive strength makes more sense .
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 01:59:07 PM by Trump Loves The Big East »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2020, 01:37:23 PM »
The distances are samesies.

Really? Thought it was like 100mi to Madison. My bad
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2020, 01:46:27 PM »
I interpreted it as, if we're already playing Madison, it's just easier to say that's the Gavitt game and call it a day so that we don't have to travel to Madison + another B14 location.  Similar to how the Beast, B12 series worked out.  Our home + home with K-State was announced before the challenge, and there was hope that we would get K-State + another B12 team last year, but the organizers saw that we were already playing and just made the pre-established match-up the official "challenge" one.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2020, 02:43:00 PM »
Wojo just said on Homer's Show, that there will be a handful of Big East games played before Jan. 1st.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton