[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: US Open 2020  (Read 3229 times)

tower912

• All American
US Open 2020
« on: September 14, 2020, 07:14:44 PM »
It wont happen, but if Phil found a way at Winged Foot, I would lose my mind.   And it gives me a reason to not watch football for another weekend.

It won't be Bryson.  Or anybody else hitting it crooked.   The rough is what you expect US Open rough to be.   1/2 shot penalty.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: US Open 2020
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 08:04:56 PM »
It wont happen, but if Phil found a way at Winged Foot, I would lose my mind.   And it gives me a reason to not watch football for another weekend.

It won't be Bryson.  Or anybody else hitting it crooked.   The rough is what you expect US Open rough to be.   1/2 shot penalty.

I would love to see Phil make a run too but he’s been hitting it awfully crooked lately, too.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 08:57:40 PM »
Yes he has.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 07:33:35 AM »
Scottie Sheffler, PGA rookie of the year, out due to COVID.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:57:58 AM »
Lots of talk about this major entering the Xander xone.    I can see that.     I could probably make a case for about 20 different guys.   DJ, Rahm, JT, Rory, Xander, Morikawa, Webb, Brendan Todd.     I think one of the bombers has a good driving week.     

I would be shocked if the winning score is below par.     The rough is too thick, the greens too fast.    Unless there is a heavy rain between now and Thursday to soften the greens.   

So.   Much.   Fun. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 09:50:24 AM »
Should be a bet on number of balls lost.    No fans to stomp down the rough.   The marshals are going to have a much larger area to cover without the fans help.    The rough is going to be brutal.   Could look like a Tuesday night golf league as far as lost balls. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 10:10:28 AM »
Nice treat for Vanderbilt Graduate Student and All American Golfer, John Augenstein, getting to play a practice round with Tiger Woods this week.

tower912

• All American
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:57:44 PM by tower912 »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 05:11:28 PM »
Anyone complaining about the conditions are a bunch of babies, IMO.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 09:59:24 AM »
Greens are holding better than expected for the morning wave

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 10:29:36 AM »
I appreciate the quantity of live play television coverage of the U.S. Open vs some other majors, and some other events.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 10:45:59 AM »
Nice to have NBC back.   Gracious of CBS to let Faldo do the Open.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 05:20:10 PM »
Nice to have NBC back.   Gracious of CBS to let Faldo do the Open.

Faldo can go away.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 01:06:16 PM »
Winged Foot is my favorite US Open course. The design is classic with no gimmicks . 18 straight hard holes. Have to be a very strong mid to long iron player ,with distance control, because the greens have only small areas where one can get a clean shot at birdie.

I enjoy watching the Pros being challenged to make par once a year . Of course they don’t enjoy that kind of pressure so much .

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 03:10:54 PM »
Dechambeau hitting fairways.   Well done though 2 rounds.  I still think the winning score is over par.  Winged Foot always wins.

Reed v Bryson.   That matchup might make me watch football.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 03:59:47 PM by tower912 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 08:16:24 PM »
I would love to see Phil make a run too but he’s been hitting it awfully crooked lately, too.

did you hear him mic'd up?  " i'm sick of this chit"  after hitting a less than desired shot
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 08:31:17 PM »
Hitting it sideways at the open will do that to you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 02:13:21 PM »
...I smell like I sound,
... I'm lost and I'm found
...and....

Don't play 'Wolf' (golf betting game) with that kid.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 03:53:58 PM »
I put an EW on Matsuyama last night. Watching on Friday, I thought he looked the steadiest and would make the least amount of mistakes this weekend.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »
I like the leaderboard going into the final  round. Lots of talented players.

I think the players who have won majors  before are in a good position . They understand that par is a good score In this tournament and possibly may be less likely to fold under the pressure . Although no fans may benefit those with less experience . The course is very difficult and it chewed up the likes of Patrick Reed and Justin Thomas today.

If I had to guess I would pick Ooisthuizen or McIlroy for their ball striking. Darkhorse pick Zach Johnson especially if he starts out solid.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2020, 05:01:43 PM »
Bryson De Chambeau with a phenomenal final round. He worked hard and earned this Major Championship.

He was the only player under round for the tournament and the only man under par today.

The Winged Foot course wore everyone else out.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2020, 05:12:47 PM »
Proved me wrong.   Able to muscle it out of the rough and hold it together.    Hat tipped.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2020, 07:19:46 PM »
He didn’t just win, he lapped the field, won by a knockout. Both he and Wolff (whose swing makes Jim Furyk’s look like Sam Snead’s or Ernie Els’s) play a different game than most of their cohorts. All of the “experts” said the only way to win at Winged Foot was to play it safe and keep it in the fairway. Bryson said screw that, I’ll bomb it and when I miss fairways, so what - I’ll be 70 yards closer to the green in the rough than the other guys. People laughed, but he laughed last.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2020, 08:47:28 PM »
Can Augusta be Bryson proofed?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2020, 09:29:36 PM »

Sure. Mandatory PED testing.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2020, 11:20:39 PM »
There have been a few others at the US Open who tried to do what Bryson did this week, by just hitting it as far as possible and then  take their chances with the rough. Notably Brooks Koepka and Dustin Johnson.

Bryson was able to package that with a very good week of play around the greens and we saw the result. I don’t think there is a paradigm shift in golf . I think what we saw was a really great week from a player who has a lot of talent to begin with.

Dechambeau also pointed out the course was set up so narrow that the straight hitters were unable to use that part of their game as well.  That took out a whole bunch of guys who could have put more pressure on the leaderboard as they were getting full stroke penalties by being in the rough.

Augusta in November Weather will be very interesting . It will be interesting to see how they set that course up.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2020, 11:32:09 AM »
Rolling back the ball is the only defense at this point.

USGA, R&A and ANGC will have their own ball specification in 5 years.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2020, 08:15:26 PM »
The Final US Open Stats were pretty interesting.  Bryson DeChambeau played extremely well in all facets of the game as measured by Stroke Gained. He did drive the ball well, but so did quite a few others, the others did not have as much control over the rest of their game. In particular Rory McIlroy .   

https://www.usopen.com/stats/player-stats.html#!&strokes-gained=all

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2020, 10:27:55 PM »

What surprised me after hearing so much hype about DeChambeau was how often Wolff outdrove him. DeChambeau won because he was good at digging out of the rough, and he had better wedges and putts.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2020, 06:00:51 AM »
I saw those stats.    One of the things I saw/heard/read is that most of Winged Foot's greens on the par 4's and 5's had an opening in front that allowed wedges from the rough to land short and bounce up, almost like a British Open.    BC controlled those shots very well.    Augusta, on the other hand, is legendary for having areas the size of your kitchen table that you need to land the ball in order to get close.   

Seeing that course in the fall is going to be something else entirely.   

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2020, 09:07:55 PM »
What surprised me after hearing so much hype about DeChambeau was how often Wolff outdrove him.

Wolff is long - among the longest on the tour. But he can’t “carry it” nearly as far as DeChambeau. Bryson hits it really, really high and doesn’t get the roll that Matt did on Winged Foot’s rock hard fairways.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2020, 07:08:43 AM »
Wolff is long - among the longest on the tour. But he can’t “carry it” nearly as far as DeChambeau. Bryson hits it really, really high and doesn’t get the roll that Matt did on Winged Foot’s rock hard fairways.
That is a good point about the height of the shots. Hitting it high also helped  Bryson very much on his approaches ,to help keep the ball on the greens. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2020, 12:06:49 PM »
I was specifically talking about the length of their drives. On the rare occasions they were both in the fairway, Wolff's was consistently longer. Same with when they were both in the same general vicinity in the rough.

All of which theoretically should have put Wolff in better position for his approaches.

DeChambeau's short game was most impressive, as was his cool under pressure. Wolff seemed to fall apart a bit out there.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2020, 01:04:43 PM »
I was specifically talking about the length of their drives. On the rare occasions they were both in the fairway, Wolff's was consistently longer. Same with when they were both in the same general vicinity in the rough.

All of which theoretically should have put Wolff in better position for his approaches.

DeChambeau's short game was most impressive, as was his cool under pressure. Wolff seemed to fall apart a bit out there.
I think sometimes in the midst of the body transformation press about DeChambeau, is that he is proven young player. He had already won several big tournaments , a US Amateur and NCAA medalist as well. He was trending toward  his first major and was completely in control of all aspects of his game, which is what the US Open is seeking to define in its winners.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2020, 11:06:09 PM »
I think sometimes in the midst of the body transformation press about DeChambeau, is that he is proven young player. He had already won several big tournaments , a US Amateur and NCAA medalist as well. He was trending toward  his first major and was completely in control of all aspects of his game, which is what the US Open is seeking to define in its winners.

Yep. If only he didn't wilt at the very sight of Tiger, though!

feedback