[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Leads Big East ... in CV19 cases  (Read 5904 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
MU Leads Big East ... in CV19 cases
« on: September 12, 2020, 09:55:42 AM »
The New York Times has a new interactive page to track CV19 cases at colleges.  In total over 88,000 cases have been confirmed on campuses with the University of Georgia leading the country with over 3,000 cases.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-college-cases-tracker.html

Regarding the Big East, through September 10 ...

Marquette = 138
Creighton  = 131
Georgetown = 103
Butler = 55
Villanova = 49
Xavier = 41
Seton Hall = 10
St. Johns = 9
Providence = 8
Depaul = 6

As usual, Depaul is in last place.

Should MU hang a banner?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 10:10:44 AM by mu_hilltopper »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: MU Leads to Big East ... in CV19 cases
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: MU Leads Big East ... in CV19 cases
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 04:04:02 PM »
I wouldn’t be shocked if DePaul is also last in dorm room availability per student. Aren’t students forced to move out of university housing after their freshman year? Maybe the relative lack a captive audience is a factor....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 04:07:32 PM »
That's great and all, but I really only care about how we do in the tournament.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 04:09:59 PM »
I just went to the DePaul website and looked up their Covid resources, and it does not look like they are testing on campus. Instead, they are simply calling on anyone who tests positive to report it to the university. In contrast, Marquette has a Covid testing facility set up in Coughlin Hall. That difference alone might account for the difference in “reported“ cases.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 04:43:32 PM »
I just went to the DePaul website and looked up their Covid resources, and it does not look like they are testing on campus. Instead, they are simply calling on anyone who tests positive to report it to the university. In contrast, Marquette has a Covid testing facility set up in Coughlin Hall. That difference alone might account for the difference in “reported“ cases.

Seems like a Depaul move
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 05:59:25 PM »
Seems like a Depaul move

It's pretty amazing really. They have a whole bunch of info about contact tracing and quarantining for positive cases, but in terms of initially finding out about positives, it's pretty much just "tell us if you or another student you know tested positive."

https://resources.depaul.edu/coronavirus/faqs/Pages/health-wellness-prevention.aspx

Good strategy for keeping reported cases low.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 06:12:30 PM »
DePaul is likely not doing testing because they have largely closed the residence halls.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 06:21:59 PM »
On-campus Covid testing, other than MU's at Coughlin Hall:

Creighton: https://www.creighton.edu/about/fall-2020-campus-reopening/preventive-measures/covid-19-testing
Creighton University is offering free, walk-in COVID-19 testing for students, faculty, and staff at the Creighton COVID-19 Testing Center. This resource is made available thanks to the partnership with TestNebraska.

Georgetown: https://www.georgetown.edu/coronavirus/fall-2020/faqs/health-and-safety/
Georgetown has partnered with One Medical, a leading primary care provider network, to provide COVID-19 testing, including at-home and on-campus, and a One Medical mobile application for daily self-attestations of symptoms, at no charge to our University community members.

Butler: https://www.butler.edu/coronavirus
Butler University will be testing all residential students prior to their move-in and will require all non-residential students to undergo the same testing before they come to campus for the first time.

Villanova: https://www1.villanova.edu/university/return-to-campus/healthandsafety/testing.html
As of July 17, 2020, Villanova University is requiring all students, faculty, and staff who will be physically on campus this Fall to be tested for COVID-19 as a baseline test before returning to campus. This testing will be accomplished in partnership with Quest Diagnostics, paid for by Villanova University. You will not be able to come to campus unless you first have been tested through this program.

Xavier: https://www.xavier.edu/return-to-campus/testing-treatment-tracing/
Student Health Services, located on campus in the Health United Building will have active virus testing available for students who are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and for those who have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive. Each student's situation will be evaluated by a medical provider on a case-by-case basis.

Seton Hall: https://www.shu.edu/health-intervention-communication/tracking-and-response.cfm#testing
The University will test any student who presents with COVID-19- related symptoms, as well as any student who is identified as having been exposed to someone diagnosed with COVID-19.  This testing will be done at Health Services on the South Orange campus. 

Providence: https://reopen.providence.edu/health-safety/covid-19-screening/
Any student, faculty member, or staff member who exhibits COVID-19 symptoms will be tested (in the case of students) or asked to get a test from their healthcare providers (in the case of faculty or staff).

As far as I can tell, only DePaul and St. John's offer no testing, and simply say "let us know if you test positive." Might explain why they're at or near the bottom of the list of reported cases.

I was especially impressed with 'Nova's plan, which required negative tests for anyone returning to campus, and also randomly tests about 1% of the campus population.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 07:49:30 PM »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 07:55:42 PM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 08:04:50 PM »
Dis ain't gonna help hour USNWR rankin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 08:05:53 PM »
Not sure where that number comes from. I do know Marquette has 46 cases since mid August.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 10:20:10 PM »
Not sure where that number comes from. I do know Marquette has 46 cases since mid August.

Article is pretty clear "since the pandemic began". Not just in the past 3 weeks. Why would you doubt their number?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 10:58:58 PM »

Thanks! Don’t know how I missed that.

It wasn’t easy to find. It took some searching.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 09:44:19 AM »
DePaul is like 90% students who live off-campus.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2020, 10:00:45 AM »
DePaul is like 90% students who live off-campus.

Exactly.  So I am not exactly sure why they should be testing students on campus.  Especially when you are right in the city with multiple testing sites close to campus.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 07:49:17 PM »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 08:25:31 PM »
14 days in Schroeder. Yikes!

https://marquettewire.org/4037928/news/schroeder-hall-residents-to-quarantine-after-rise-in-covid-19-cases/

That could either be terrible, or if you got along with your roommate and both of you are negative with a full fridge of beer and booze then it'd be an awesome memory. Gotta imagine college is gonna be what ever these kids can make it now
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 08:37:44 PM »
That could either be terrible, or if you got along with your roommate and both of you are negative with a full fridge of beer and booze then it'd be an awesome memory. Gotta imagine college is gonna be what ever these kids can make it now

1. I never had a full fridge of beer on a Monday.

2. A full fridge of beer would never last two weeks.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 08:39:38 PM »
1. I never had a full fridge of beer on a Monday.

2. A full fridge of beer would never last two weeks.

1. You gotta make your beer runs biweekly. Monday and Thursday.

2. Damn good point, which I why I quickly wrote "and booze" lol
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2020, 08:41:35 PM »
Btw Marquette quarantining students together in a residence hall is not a good place idea.  It’s just going to spread to everyone. If I were a parent I’d get my kid out of there.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2020, 08:46:38 PM »
Btw Marquette quarantining students together in a residence hall is not a good place idea.  It’s just going to spread to everyone. If I were a parent I’d get my kid out of there.

I believe the recomendation is not to send students home after exposure.  Better to let them ride it out on campus than take it home and infect parents, siblings, etc. in another location.

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 07:13:26 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:58:59 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2020, 08:57:00 AM »
At Schroeder I used to stock up for the weekend and bring the beer in earlier in he week stuffed in a winter coat or buried under books in a backpack.

I remember some desperate nights where we would hand beer cans through the screen to someone in the Schroeder basement.  I see the basement windows are all boarded up now.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2020, 08:58:09 AM »

It is the best choice of a bunch of bad choices.

You don't want kids going home and spreading to their local communities.

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2020, 09:02:10 AM »
It is the best choice of a bunch of bad choices.

You don't want kids going home and spreading to their local communities.

Sending sick people home, I agree with you.  But those in quarantine are "close contacts."  Sending them home is a much better option, then having potentially positive people quarantining with those who are negative. 

IMO I really believe the primary motivation is so they don't have to "go virtual" entirely and reimburse room and board.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2020, 12:52:52 PM »
At Schroeder I used to stock up for the weekend and bring the beer in earlier in he week stuffed in a winter coat or buried under books in a backpack.

I remember some desperate nights where we would hand beer cans through the screen to someone in the Schroeder basement.  I see the basement windows are all boarded up now.

I had one of those old Compaq(?) PC and monitor in the same unit back at Schroeder.   The thing needed repair and they shipped it to me in a box that was at least 4' x 4'.

The desk attendants wouldn't let me take it up to my room, they thought I was smuggling in a keg.  I had to open the box before they let me go.

Me and a few buddies also learned how to conceal a full case in our clothes and winter jackets only.  Stuffing pockets, hoods, socks, etc behind Marquette Foods. (No æssholes were used in the transport of beer.)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2020, 12:59:29 PM »
I had one of those old Compaq(?) PC and monitor in the same unit back at Schroeder.   The thing needed repair and they shipped it to me in a box that was at least 4' x 4'.

The desk attendants wouldn't let me take it up to my room, they thought I was smuggling in a keg.  I had to open the box before they let me go.

Me and a few buddies also learned how to conceal a full case in our clothes and winter jackets only.  Stuffing pockets, hoods, socks, etc behind Marquette Foods. (No æssholes were used in the transport of beer.)

One of friends had a very puffy winter jacket that everyone referred to as "Puff the Magic Jacket" for the ability to smuggle more beer in Schroeder than anyone else in one shot.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2020, 01:03:29 PM »

I worked the front desk at McCormick (which, for you newer readers, used to be a residence hall on 16th and Wisconsin), and I would let all reasonable attempts at concealment pass by. I needed plausible deniability for myself. You can usually tell when someone is trying to conceal something. 19 year olds are a bunch of goodie two shoes.

I had one resident try walking in with his hockey bag filled with cans of beer. Bulging in ugly directions, circular sweat rings on the outside because it was a warm day. I just laughed at him, told him to go pack some sweatshirts around the beer so it wasn't so conspicuous, and come back later. I wasn't about to lose my job for someone half-assing sneaking beer into the dorm. Marquette has admission standards, after all.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2020, 01:06:14 PM »
I worked the front desk at McCormick (which, for you newer readers, used to be a residence hall on 16th and Wisconsin), and I would let all reasonable attempts at concealment pass by. I needed plausible deniability for myself. You can usually tell when someone is trying to conceal something. 19 year olds are a bunch of goodie two shoes.

I had one resident try walking in with his hockey bag filled with cans of beer. Bulging in ugly directions, circular sweat rings on the outside because it was a warm day. I just laughed at him, told him to go pack some sweatshirts around the beer so it wasn't so conspicuous, and come back later. I wasn't about to lose my job for someone half-assing sneaking beer into the dorm. Marquette has admission standards, after all.

The hockey bags would get slid under the "out" turnstiles, and they'd walk in, then go pick them up. 

I dont know if i could drink beer out of a hockey bag.   ;D

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2020, 01:30:26 PM »

The things you can do with a hockey or in my case lacrosse bag. Helped a friend smuggle in a keg to Schroeder in his hockey bag, smuggled the girl I was dating into Schroeder in my lacrosse bag. For cans I had a backpack that fit 36 beers perfectly without being obvious so it was Great for a 36 pack of boxer
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2020, 01:38:29 PM »
I started early in the week, taking an empty backpack to class then stopping by Dany's for a 12 pack.  By the weekend, I had plenty and was never stopped by front desk people lunchtime on Tuesday.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2020, 01:48:17 PM »
I started early in the week, taking an empty backpack to class then stopping by Dany's for a 12 pack.  By the weekend, I had plenty and was never stopped by front desk people lunchtime on Tuesday.

Yup. That was the key. Low and slow.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2020, 01:48:44 PM »

We had a really cool DR at McCormick who worked Friday's mid-afternoon. We'd get back from class at 2, do a beer run to Dany's, (we didn't even have to use hockey bags, just our backpacks) the guy would let us go by then we'd head down to the Rec Center to play basketball. When the guy ran for MUSG President we were his biggest campaigners in McCormick.

Midweek around 8:30 was a good time too - the DR's assumed we were coming from class or the Library.

My wife used computer boxes when she was in McCormick.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 09:51:39 PM »
Providence shuts down for the semester:

JUST IN: Providence College is switching to remote learning for now after more than 80 students tested positive for #COVID19 in the past TWO days — in an email to students and staff, the president said a large concentration of cases involve off-campus students
@NBC10

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2020, 10:43:13 PM »
Providence shuts down for the semester:

JUST IN: Providence College is switching to remote learning for now after more than 80 students tested positive for #COVID19 in the past TWO days — in an email to students and staff, the president said a large concentration of cases involve off-campus students
@NBC10

Where are you seeing that they’re shutting down for the rest of the semester? I just found this article that indicates they are switching to complete remote learning for a week:

https://turnto10.com/news/local/more-than-80-providence-college-students-test-positive-for-coronavirus?_gl=1*7lgo82*_ga*aWw2SzZmeUYzVFJobGlabDhwdGR5Sm1fbldESmdpNkNpaWFxNzJaSWh4SWdOMUlFRFA1OUFod0pMUVpaZmpidA..

Providence College said they are shifting to complete remote learning for a week after more than 80 students tested positive for the coronavirus over the past two days.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2020, 09:20:11 AM »
I hope NYT continues to update this data.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2020, 10:29:23 AM »
14 days in Schroeder. Yikes!

https://marquettewire.org/4037928/news/schroeder-hall-residents-to-quarantine-after-rise-in-covid-19-cases/

Wow! The administration is allowing students who are suppose to quarantine to go home but they have to email their head resident if they do so. Why would they do that? I thought the idea was to prevent the spread. You think they would have kept them all at Schroeder to be tested, and how many other students were in contact with Schroeder residents, should they not be quarantined as well? Also no mention of the students who were positive if they experienced serious symptoms. That would be important information to know without violating HIPPA.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2020, 10:32:00 AM »

How many were serious.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2020, 10:55:38 AM »
Where are you seeing that they’re shutting down for the rest of the semester? I just found this article that indicates they are switching to complete remote learning for a week:

https://turnto10.com/news/local/more-than-80-providence-college-students-test-positive-for-coronavirus?_gl=1*7lgo82*_ga*aWw2SzZmeUYzVFJobGlabDhwdGR5Sm1fbldESmdpNkNpaWFxNzJaSWh4SWdOMUlFRFA1OUFod0pMUVpaZmpidA..

Providence College said they are shifting to complete remote learning for a week after more than 80 students tested positive for the coronavirus over the past two days.

My bad, I read it while using my Jump to Conclusions mat.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2020, 11:00:48 AM »
Wow! The administration is allowing students who are suppose to quarantine to go home but they have to email their head resident if they do so. Why would they do that? I thought the idea was to prevent the spread. You think they would have kept them all at Schroeder to be tested, and how many other students were in contact with Schroeder residents, should they not be quarantined as well? Also no mention of the students who were positive if they experienced serious symptoms. That would be important information to know without violating HIPPA.

Marquette is isolating those who are sick, and quarantining their close contacts.  You don't need to quarantine close contacts of close contacts.  And you don't need to quarantine everyone who came in contact with someone who is sick, just those who are *close* contacts. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2020, 05:12:33 PM »

Marquette is isolating those who are sick, and quarantining their close contacts.  You don't need to quarantine close contacts of close contacts.  And you don't need to quarantine everyone who came in contact with someone who is sick, just those who are *close* contacts.

So they are sick. They have fevers, shortness of breath etc. They are not asymptomatic. Why was that not reported in the Wire.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2020, 10:08:32 PM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2020, 03:02:53 PM »
Updated as of September 25

Marquette doesn't have the lead. I'm not sure if they had the lead when this first came out on September 10, because Heise didn't list UCconn and I didn't think to look. I can't believe none of us caught that.

UConn = 253
Marquette = 240 (+102)
Creighton  = 181 (+50)
Georgetown = 131 (+28)
Butler = 116 (+61)
Villanova = 77 (+18)
Xavier = 65 (+24)
St. Johns = 41 (+32)
Providence = 40 (+32)
Seton Hall = 10 (no change)
Depaul = 6 (no change)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2020, 03:40:06 PM »

Guess this is how Marquette gets herd immunity.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2020, 03:55:22 PM »

Marquette doesn't have the lead. I'm not sure if they had the lead when this first came out on September 10, because Heise didn't list UCconn and I didn't think to look. I can't believe none of us caught that.

UConn = 253
Marquette = 240 (+102)
Creighton  = 181 (+50)
Georgetown = 131 (+28)
Butler = 116 (+61)
Villanova = 77 (+18)
Xavier = 65 (+24)
St. Johns = 41 (+32)
Providence = 40 (+32)
Depaul = 6 (no change)

Not sure this is credible. I don't trust that UConn isn't inflating test scores.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2020, 05:00:26 PM »

UConn = 253
Marquette = 240 (+102)
Creighton  = 181 (+50)
Georgetown = 131 (+28)
Butler = 116 (+61)
Villanova = 77 (+18)
Xavier = 65 (+24)
St. Johns = 41 (+32)
Providence = 40 (+32)
Depaul = 6 (no change)

Well that sucks. We finally have the lead, and choke it away. Fire Wojo!!!

feedback