[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tire Buying Thoughts  (Read 3518 times)

jficke13

• All American
Tire Buying Thoughts
« on: September 08, 2020, 10:39:47 AM »
The car (Camry) is going to need new tires soon. Anyone have any resources they can point me to that would help me figure out WTH I should be buying here? FWIW I'm basically a car noob.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Tire Buying Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 10:46:54 AM »
Tire Rack is  a good starting place.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 10:50:41 AM »
The car (Camry) is going to need new tires soon. Anyone have any resources they can point me to that would help me figure out WTH I should be buying here? FWIW I'm basically a car noob.

You get what you pay for.  Most important thing on any tire purchase is rotation.  You get closer to the claimed full life that way.  Depending on mileage you put on annually, you can go to a place like Wal-Mart and be fine.  If you put on heavy mileage, you should get a better performance tire like Goodyear or Michelin. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 10:58:31 AM »
Tire Rack is  a good starting place.

love the tire rack  have used them for many years  they work with tires plus and can send to them for installation  if you can get a lower rated tire, tbe longer it will last.  i needed  "z-rated tires on my jaguar and every 10-15-20k(it seemed) miles would need new ones
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 11:01:39 AM »
I couldn't give a recommendation as to brand, style, etc. Consumer Reports probably does that, and you probably can find other reviews on the interwebs.

If you are a Costco member, it is hands-down the best place. Best prices, often have deals making those prices even better (like right now I think they are offering $110-150 off a set of 4) and they lay out all the costs upfront. After shopping around, I used them twice. Definitely would again.

If you don't do Costco ... I got nuthin' for ya.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 11:28:53 AM »
If you're in a place where snow tires are advisable (like here in MN), I'd recommend Discount Tire. They will switch out and rotate your winter and summer tires free for as long as you own them.

The difference in grip between winter and summer tires on snow and ice is incredible. Try them once in a snowstorm and you won't go back.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 11:52:06 AM »
If you're in a place where snow tires are advisable (like here in MN), I'd recommend Discount Tire. They will switch out and rotate your winter and summer tires free for as long as you own them.

The difference in grip between winter and summer tires on snow and ice is incredible. Try them once in a snowstorm and you won't go back.

That's why i buy from them. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 12:03:18 PM »
Whether you buy from them or not .. tirerack.com is the first place you go for research.  Find the tire first, then figure out where to buy it.

If you live around snow .. that's all I look for.  Look for great "snow" ratings.   Obviously, snow tires are the best, so skip those.   

If a tire has great snow ratings, all the other stuff will be pretty solid too.

It's also nice to be able to read reviews of people who have YOUR car, and what tires they bought, how they like em, etc.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 05:34:32 PM »
Firestone service centers carries Primewell.  I put them on my Honda CRV.  So far so good at significantly lower than the big name brands.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 08:14:11 AM »
1. New tires make for a new car ride.
2. Don't buy original equiplent, upgrade.
3.  If snows, buy 4.
4.  I use Cooper, but has been said, you get what you pay for, if you're lucky.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 08:22:46 AM »
I'll echo TireRack.  Have them delivered to your local tire center and get them mounted and balanced.

Brand (Personally, I don't like Coopers) isn't as important as what the tires are rated for.  Wear, weather, and noise.

I agree, don't buy OEM... if you do a bit of research you can get better tires, and sometimes for less than the OEMs.

Depending on your finances, you can just get the front two replaced and rotate the fronts to the back.  It can help spread out the cost (especially if you are young) over a couple of years. 

I have never bought snow tires... just get some premium all seasons.  Tires can only do so much.  Road conditions and speed are more important... plus when the roads are plowed or it doesn't snow much you're just burning expensive rubber... and then most people don't pull their snow tires off when weather warms... which will eat in to gas mileage, tire wear....plus they're loud as all hell.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 08:50:52 AM »

I have never bought snow tires... just get some premium all seasons.  Tires can only do so much.  Road conditions and speed are more important... plus when the roads are plowed or it doesn't snow much you're just burning expensive rubber... and then most people don't pull their snow tires off when weather warms... which will eat in to gas mileage, tire wear....plus they're loud as all hell.

With all due respect, I disagree.

Snow rated tires are made of a softer rubber that grips better in any weather under freezing - not just when there is snow or ice. And while you are correct that 'tires can only do so much,' the amount they can do on snow and ice is pretty dramatic.

As for the changing, you are correct that you need to swap them out when the weather changes, lest you unnecessarily burn extra rubber in the summer. The solution is something I posted earlier - Discount Tire swaps out any winter tires you buy from them for as long as you own them, free of charge. They even mark and rotate them as the seasons go by. As long as you take advantage of this service, both your winter and summer tires last longer.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 09:10:05 AM »
Perhaps I am an outlier but I've replaced 12 tires on four cars in the past 18 months. I use a local tire dealer every time. Apart from supporting local, I work with someone who knows me and who has repaired my older cars off warranty. If something goes wrong, which it does from time to time on older cars, I have a "guy" in my back pocket.

The tires I bought include:

1) For my Buick Enclave, the same Bridgestone tires that were original equipment. Car has 118,000 miles on it.
2) For my Buick LaCrosse, my wife had a tire failure outside a Tires Plus dealer in my town in Florida. Tires had 68,000 miles on them, so I replaced the original Bridgestones with exactly the same thing.
3) For my BMW 528i, I replaced two Continental tires with exactly the same thing (gosh, I could not get over how fast a BMW goes through tires).
4) For my daughter's Nissan Rogue, I did Firestone. We obtained a "deal" because Firestone discontinued the model my daughter's car required.

Also, make sure you look at the tires' size, including width, as well as the speed rating. Be cognizant of the type of driving you do and how aggressive you drive. My tires did well on the Buicks because there has been a lot of road driving and rural driving, which place less stress on the tire than urban stop and go driving. And, for some reason, our suburban and rural streets are in pretty good shape, which also reduces wear and tear.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:13:26 AM by dgies9156 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 10:24:04 AM »
With all due respect, I disagree.

Snow rated tires are made of a softer rubber that grips better in any weather under freezing - not just when there is snow or ice. And while you are correct that 'tires can only do so much,' the amount they can do on snow and ice is pretty dramatic.

As for the changing, you are correct that you need to swap them out when the weather changes, lest you unnecessarily burn extra rubber in the summer. The solution is something I posted earlier - Discount Tire swaps out any winter tires you buy from them for as long as you own them, free of charge. They even mark and rotate them as the seasons go by. As long as you take advantage of this service, both your winter and summer tires last longer.

*fart noise*  We don't buy them for our 35+ vehicle fleet and I don't buy them for personal use.  Sure you will get better performance... but you can do the same thing with all seasons, and driving slower... plus you're saving money and time not having to go to and from the mechanic.  They're expensive, and when its not snowy you're just burning them.  Of course, everyone has an opinion, but I don't find them necessary or even helpful.   YMMV.

;D

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 11:23:59 AM »
Snow tires are excellent if you can afford them and have a space to store the other ones. I have never had space for 4 tires in my condo. Performance is absolutely better.

Now that I am in a house, I am thinking about it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 11:36:46 AM »
*fart noise*  We don't buy them for our 35+ vehicle fleet and I don't buy them for personal use.  Sure you will get better performance... but you can do the same thing with all seasons, and driving slower... plus you're saving money and time not having to go to and from the mechanic.  They're expensive, and when its not snowy you're just burning them.  Of course, everyone has an opinion, but I don't find them necessary or even helpful.   YMMV.

;D

I've seen your vans and cars in action.  Snowtires ain't gonna make a different one way or the other.  Drive cams and telematics might, but, well, good luck.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 11:40:31 AM »
Until reading this topic, I never knew snow tires were still a thing. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 11:54:20 AM »
Perhaps I am an outlier but I've replaced 12 tires on four cars in the past 18 months. I use a local tire dealer every time. Apart from supporting local, I work with someone who knows me and who has repaired my older cars off warranty. If something goes wrong, which it does from time to time on older cars, I have a "guy" in my back pocket.

The tires I bought include:

1) For my Buick Enclave, the same Bridgestone tires that were original equipment. Car has 118,000 miles on it.
2) For my Buick LaCrosse, my wife had a tire failure outside a Tires Plus dealer in my town in Florida. Tires had 68,000 miles on them, so I replaced the original Bridgestones with exactly the same thing.
3) For my BMW 528i, I replaced two Continental tires with exactly the same thing (gosh, I could not get over how fast a BMW goes through tires).
4) For my daughter's Nissan Rogue, I did Firestone. We obtained a "deal" because Firestone discontinued the model my daughter's car required.

Also, make sure you look at the tires' size, including width, as well as the speed rating. Be cognizant of the type of driving you do and how aggressive you drive. My tires did well on the Buicks because there has been a lot of road driving and rural driving, which place less stress on the tire than urban stop and go driving. And, for some reason, our suburban and rural streets are in pretty good shape, which also reduces wear and tear.

That stretch on P, between Soft Pines and Sidelines is a bumpy M'efer, eh?  Gotta be the worst stretch of road in all of WI.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 11:55:40 AM »
I've seen your vans and cars in action.  Snowtires ain't gonna make a different one way or the other.  Drive cams and telematics might, but, well, good luck.

Not very safe for taking Ms Daisy to the doc, eh?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 12:07:00 PM »

i'm more disappointed to hear these 35+ jalopies weren't electric
don't...don't don't don't don't

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 12:09:50 PM »

They are by far the best car upgrade you can buy in the great white north. I kept a set mounted to some cheaper wheels and would throw them on once temps were regularly below freezing. All seasons, and especially summer tires, get harder as the weather gets colder. Hard tires won't grip drive pavement, much less wet, snowy, or icy pavement. Snow tires being soft will greatly improve your vehicle's acceleration and braking during the winter. Anyone that disagrees is a poo head.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2020, 12:11:10 PM »

My Finnish friends (my company is Finnish owned) tell me Finland mandates putting snow tires on your car in the winter.  It's required.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 12:17:25 PM »
My Finnish friends (my company is Finnish owned) tell me Finland mandates putting snow tires on your car in the winter.  It's required.

Well that explains it.  I have no Finnish friends.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2020, 01:08:36 PM »

That's some nice bait ya got there.  And then your buddies pile on.  Shouldn't you guys be threatening to leave this site again?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2020, 03:31:24 PM »
That's some nice bait ya got there.  And then your buddies pile on.  Shouldn't you guys be threatening to leave this site again?

Like clockwork. Amazing how they all find each other's posts

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 04:15:47 PM »

Ironically, dash cams would probably save us money, but drivers think we're spying on them 24/7 as it is with GPS, telematics, etc.

What they usually forget (somehow) is that our phone number is plastered to the side of their vehicle and plenty of other folks have dash cams.

We've let people go based on footage more than once.

Anyway, back to how much snow tires suck.  8-)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 05:09:08 PM »

Yeah, we all post together when we aren't busy licking meat juices off of each others' fingers and chins. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 06:08:38 PM »
Yeah, we all post together when we aren't busy licking meat juices off of each others' fingers and chins.

I love that my first thought is whether or not you pluralized Chins because there are multiple people or multiple chins per person. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 06:23:09 PM »

Lol.

Pics?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2020, 07:02:06 PM »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2020, 09:38:19 PM »

Costco when they’re doing 1 cent mounting and $150 off. Free balance and rotations for life too. Got Michelin Pilot S tires for my X1 for around $600. Did a lot of research since I occasionally drive in the mountains to ski and needed good all-season tires that handled well in snow and rain. No regrets 2 years in.

Avoid run flats. They came on my car. They had to be replaced with 30K miles and are more expensive. Not worth it!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:40:23 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 11:01:28 PM »
Costco when they’re doing 1 cent mounting and $150 off. Free balance and rotations for life too. Got Michelin Pilot S tires for my X1 for around $600. Did a lot of research since I occasionally drive in the mountains to ski and needed good all-season tires that handled well in snow and rain. No regrets 2 years in.

Avoid run flats. They came on my car. They had to be replaced with 30K miles and are more expensive. Not worth it!

Totally agree on the run flats. Had them on a C300 a while back, and they made a smooth-riding car ride like crap.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2020, 12:58:59 AM »
That stretch on P, between Soft Pines and Sidelines is a bumpy M'efer, eh?  Gotta be the worst stretch of road in all of WI.

Damn straight. What do you expect from Dougie County?

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2020, 07:56:19 PM »
The tires are the things on your car that make contact with the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDhH1VWd9Uw

feedback