Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: RIP Big John  (Read 3777 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
RIP Big John
« on: August 31, 2020, 07:33:00 AM »
Former Georgetown head coach, John Thompson, passed away overnight.  He turned Georgetown into a power in the 1980’s and as much as any coach, turned the Big East into a national powerhouse in college basketball.  He was a bigger than life personality who fought for racial equality and believed in the power of an education.  College basketball and society need more men like him.  Rest In Peace, Big John
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
Re: RIP Big John
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 07:37:05 AM »
Wow.

Truly a giant, in every sense of the word.

He will be missed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 08:12:34 AM »
Former Georgetown head coach, John Thompson, passed away overnight.  He turned Georgetown into a power in the 1980’s and as much as any coach, turned the Big East into a national powerhouse in college basketball.  He was a bigger than life personality who fought for racial equality and believed in the power of an education.  College basketball and society need more men like him.  Rest In Peace, Big John
Very well said. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 09:20:01 AM »
Al coached against Georgetown once.  In 1971, he beat them 88-44 in the Milwaukee Tournament.  Georgetown went 3-23 that year, fired their coach, hired Thompson and started to invest heavily into basketball.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 09:30:43 AM »
Agree, Rico. College coaches have become so, so bland. The game was better for having big personalities and the rivalries that developed because of them.

I'm also very interested to see if this changes things at Georgetown. He was still pretty involved with the hoops program, and I think had a lot of say in Ewing's hire.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 09:37:43 AM »
The first decade or so of the Big East ... those were epic battles between Thompson's team, Carnesecca's team, Boeheim's team, etc. Awesome college hoops, made better by the outsized personalities.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 09:57:30 AM »
One of the giants of the Big East. RIP

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 11:13:42 AM »
Legend.  Graduated 97% of his players, won at a high level and won a national championship.  I'm sure watching his son (JTIII) and former player (Ewing) coach at Georgetown was also one of his greatest accomplishments.

The Big East wouldn't be the Big East without JT.  RIP. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 12:41:52 PM »
Didn't realize he played at Providence. Wow between him and Billy Donovan Providence has really screwed the pooch by not trying to get their former players back as Coaches.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 12:47:21 PM »
Didn't realize he played at Providence. Wow between him and Billy Donovan Providence has really screwed the pooch by not trying to get their former players back as Coaches.

Dave Gavitt was busy taking PC to NCAA tournaments when Georgetown took a chance on Thompson, who was a 29 year old high school coach at the time.

Donovan was an assistant at Kentucky when PC hired Pete Gillen from Xavier.  Gillen was considered quite a "get" for PC at the time.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 12:50:22 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 12:54:35 PM »

Dave Gavitt was busy taking PC to NCAA tournaments when Georgetown took a chance on Thompson, who was a 29 year old high school coach at the time.

Donovan was an assistant at Kentucky when PC hired Pete Gillen from Xavier.  Gillen was considered quite a "get" for PC at the time.

Idk if you could say Gavitt was established at PC yet going to "NCAA tournaments" when he'd only gone to one but fair enough. Just crazy to me that if PC would've taken a chance either of those alumni they'd probably be listed as a Blue Blood right now. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 01:00:18 PM »
Idk if you could say Gavitt was established at PC yet going to "NCAA tournaments" when he'd only gone to one but fair enough. Just crazy to me that if PC would've taken a chance either of those alumni they'd probably be listed as a Blue Blood right now.

It’s fun to speculate but that’s all it is.  For all we know, circumstances could have caused those guys to fail at Providence
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 02:23:28 PM »
Towel over his shoulder, prowling the sidelines.    RIP.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 03:24:46 PM »
Great coach. Smart man. I enjoyed his commentary on the game.

Probably not a coincidence, but I really enjoy Ewing also. He has a radio show and he really smart and friendly.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 06:10:01 PM »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 06:33:23 PM »

Power of an education?   Doesn’t go along with your stance on pay for play.

RIP Coach

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 07:55:28 PM »
John Thompson had an outstanding career. Led Providence to an NIT Championship and their First NCAA appearance. Played on two championship teams with the Celtics. Led Georgetown into the Big East and a National Championship. Was a legend of the Big East. Rightfully,  Coach Thompson deserves a lot of credit for all his achievements.

All that said, Georgetown was, is and always will be my least favorite team in the Big East. They are the team I like to see MU beat the most . I give John Thompson credit for that too. 

RIP

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2020, 12:07:44 AM »
When i moved out east in the early 70's i was shocked at how soft the game was among eastern colleges. I think Thompson really changed that around. Those Mullin/St johns vs Ewing/Georgetown games were not for the faint of heart.

"During his senior year, Thompson led Carroll to a 24–0 record, preserving their 48-game winning streak along the way. Carroll capped off the undefeated 1960 season with a 57–55 win over St Catherine's Angels of Racine, WI in the Knights of Columbus National Championship Tournament with Thompson pacing the Lions with 15 points."
Wiki

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 05:02:53 PM »
This is going to be similar to Bo Schembecher's death back at Michigan. JT, like Bo, had control over the basketball program, which is why JTIII hung on so long and why Ewing was hired. Now that JT is gone those who have wanted to get control of the program for themselves are going to try and do so, which would mean Ewing's days are likely numbered. Then, a hire from outside of the family could be made. There's going to be a power struggle. It might work out in Georgetown's favor...as long as they don't hire their version of Rich Rodriguez.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2020, 11:39:40 AM »
This is going to be similar to Bo Schembecher's death back at Michigan. JT, like Bo, had control over the basketball program, which is why JTIII hung on so long and why Ewing was hired. Now that JT is gone those who have wanted to get control of the program for themselves are going to try and do so, which would mean Ewing's days are likely numbered. Then, a hire from outside of the family could be made. There's going to be a power struggle. It might work out in Georgetown's favor...as long as they don't hire their version of Rich Rodriguez.

To be fair JT3 has a Final Four to his belt and multiple conference championships granted he would always flop in the tournament but he at least had success to claim why he was around
Maigh Eo for Sam